Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11417 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sheez:
<STRONG>Yes, but does another anvil ever show up?</STRONG>

The town liaison comes right from the start, and one of the things you can order is a new anvil (as well as a TON of other stuff, it's like the human caravan order menu).

1000 points is ALOT, and you probibly won't need the anvil for a few years, so it seems like a REALLY good idea not to start with it to me.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 03:20:00 am »

On the subject of BAD discoveries, you can no longer Forbid Passage a door and put another door attached to it.

Awww, man.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 03:37:00 am »

I started on a biome border between a desert and scrubland.

There are several pools here. As the year gets further and further into summer, the water in the pools evaporates.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan15:
<STRONG>On the subject of BAD discoveries, you can no longer Forbid Passage a door and put another door attached to it.

Awww, man.</STRONG>

you can still make multi-doors by rewalling it down to a 2-wide, building your 2 doors, removing the wall on the edge, building a door, removing the next wall, etc.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 03:50:00 am »

Fun fact:  Ditching the starting anvil for a shit ton of logs makes for a strong early defense by way of a palisade.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 04:27:00 am »

The elven traders are no longer useless!

In addition to the normal berries and rope reed cloth, they bring a ton of wooden arrows and a few bows (which afaik dwarves can't use), some barrels of booze (yay), a bunch of seeds to plant outside (sunberries? wonder what those are..) a bunch of wooden armor and weapons (lol..) some logs, and best of all.....

A pet grizzly bear!

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 04:42:00 am »

3 cool things I've so far spotted:

1. You can set the Flag [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] on any entity_default civ and you can play them in dwarf mode (Human settlers anyone?) they don't seem to need to come from [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS] anymore.

2. You can build Huts. If you build a room with 4 walls on one level,then build some stairs up and "roof" it with construction floors, it counts as inside on the lower level. (That means, you can make rooms, place beds etc. inside) I find it rather cool to have my lumberjack live outside in the woods with a small wood stockpile nearby.    :D

3. Hunters are FAR more effective and are FAR less likely to get killed. one hunter bought in so many deer corpses that my butcher had a problem to keep up.

Really great work Toady. I could myself see to pay 40 $ for this gem someday.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Mover#005 ]

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Mover#005 ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 04:51:00 am »

BurnedToast:  Make weapon traps out of their bows.  I think Toady fixed the reload spam bug.  Besides, your dwarves won't use up all the ammo while training so it should last between caravans anyway.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

I started on a site with a chasm 15 levels deep from the first level, before it even *gets* to the chasm tiles.

Also the map is full of troglodytes, antmen, cave swallowmen, naked mole dogs and large rats : /

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 05:51:00 am »

cool thing: magma + water = obsidian dam!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 07:11:00 am »

Browsing possible settlement locations, I found a new type of area. "Mirthful" I wonder what it's like?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>Browsing possible settlement locations, I found a new type of area. "Mirthful" I wonder what it's like?</STRONG>

AFAIK "Mirthful" and "Joyful Wilds" are the new names for the predatory and savage map types with a Good alignment. As opposed to "Peaceful" and "Protected Wilds" respectively.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 09:52:00 am »

Talking to a HAmmerman, he tells me how they lost a diplomat to my latest abadoned town! Ive been ratted out!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

If you make humans playable, workshops will be named "Xmans workshop". Cool detail. And you can make houses and live entirely by hunting. I think. I'm just wondering what will happen when the first goblins shows up.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 10:02:00 am »

My fortress is made up of entirely limestone and magnetite ore. It is truly awesome!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12