Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11409 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Hi, new to dwarf fortress (amazing game imo).
My best discovery yet is finding out the ability to move around the embarking square when trying to embark somewhere. (i always wanted to start a fortress on high mountains but seemed to never could)
After finding that out i had a new cool discovery, namely after i embarked on an extremely high mountain (about 30 levels up) i found out that the platuea where i was stationed was entirely flat with a nice brook and ofcourse a 30 level waterfall (btw, brook tiles are passable, thus i thought about carving out the brook, problem is, will the rocks left in the carved out brook have an effect on the water in it?) plus one layer of sand soil and only one layer beneath it TONS of platinum nuggets between the magnetite (thats right, only on the second level when digging down). Thats not all though, there also is a perfectly placed straight down chasm and lots of gems and things like silver on the edges of the straight vertical mountainside oh and enough granite to built my outerwalls of the fortress 3 layers thick and i'm talking a HUGE fortress. (dunno how i'm gonna deal with the troglodytes in the chasm though, have no clue how to use military apart from drafting someone in it).
One thing i want to discover though is how you effectively trade. The only thing i seem to do is make a tradedepot, order items to be traded there and then asking the liason (spellcheck?) what i want or something like that. (where can i see what i traded for or what was traded? have no clue).
Anyways, the best discovery ever was finding out about this game, pure awesomeness. (still highly unskilled though    :))

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

You can look in the 'gameplay' forum for that kind of questions, there is an active thread on this topic right now.

In short:
when you recieve the message traders have arrived, goto depot, [g] select goods to trade, set 'broker wanted' [r] on active, wait for liason to arrive [t]rade.
select goods from both sides of the screen to do a barterswap, let the trader have  profit (transportation fees and such).

Being on a cliff, you very probably also have an accessability problem. just press D and accessible parts of the map will falsh green vs red for inaccessable spots.

For more in-depth advice look in the wiki or use the search function of the forums.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

Nope, accesibility isn't a problem but [t]rade is (its grey nomatter what i do).
The only thing that happens is that a caravan of traders arive and a message from the liason then i select goods to be traded at the depot (i always have my goods wich i want to trade nearby the depot so that pending status is always of a short duration) then the liason asks what i want from the merchants or something and i enter a screen where on the left there are types of items and on the right the specific items in each type, i select some of what i think i will need and then the broker seems to hang around the tradedepot and nomatter what i do i can't [t] there, then after a time they just leave.

Found out there's a giant bat flying about, eek.

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

make sure your broker has no other jobs.
When asked to come to the depot, the depot will state his current job, this should be 'trading at depot' for trade.
The Liason will negotiate with your expedition leader
(I think, could be the manager)
in his/her office, this will be a seperate task from trading.

This is one reason why it can be better to have seperate dwarfs in the leadership positions.
(also less of a dissaster when the leader dies)

---
another great discovery:
levers can be linked to vertical bars.
further prettifying my arena.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

The most amazing discovery I made is that it's easy to die from holding a !!Pig Tail Dress!!.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

Cage trapping invaders, then throwing them down deep pits, or into a room for my dwarves to shoot at via fortification.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

my marksdwarf deciding that shooting is overated and hammering a intire siege to death even when he has bolts. "took pleasure in slaugter recently,".
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

So I have a map with a magma pipe and 2 layers of aquifer so I have an obsidian farm across two z levels. Whilst digging an expansion of the lower pool(of water) my miner fell in and she swam back out leaving her child in there which drowned.
I didn't actually have a way of stopping the water getting into the lower level other than pouring magma onto it so I had no way of recovering the body for burial. shrugged and trusted in the dining room to keep her happy.
Two seasons down the road I've used all the stone out of the upper layer and am excavating the lower when the bones are recovered from the obsidian and then buried.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

Starting on my first magma map, I had to deal with some fire imps using only my miners and a woodcutter.  The woodcutter smacked the imp so hard it flew into a tree and exploded, leaving its head and upper legs laying about.  Apparently the lower legs were still connected to its body.  :confused:

Later, starting in a human settlement, the NPC hunter kept annoying me with messages whenever he popped out of ambush to deal with the groundhog invasions.  Granted, this did give me a good view of him running out of bolts and beginning the game of Dwarven Golf.

"FORE!"

*Incoming merchant ducks a flying groundhog*

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2008, 04:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dareon Clearwater:
<STRONG> Apparently the lower legs were still connected to its body.   :confused:
</STRONG>

Nope, hen a body part is lopped off, it goes away with everything it is tied to.
So the lower legs and feet have been lopped off as well, and are still connected to the upper legs. They just don't show.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

discovering that groundhogs can burrow through earth.  at least i assume thats what happened -- i found a bunch of dead groundhogs in my dining room, and they would have had to go through an awful lot of dwarfs and wardogs and stairs to get there from the surface.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

That's more likely to be your hunters returning with fresh kills. They'll dump them in the dining room if you haven't set up a butcher's shop yet.

"Everyone enjoying their meals? I've got some nice super-rare steaks here!" *THUD*

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2008, 08:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Discovering that you can take the pants off of a visiting merchant and they don't mind.  Or, in fact, notice.</STRONG>

Mhm, let's see: The human merchant prince Tall Beardlessguy has arrived.
Tall Beardlessguy makes his way to the fortress and notices the road is made of solid gold. As he approaches closer, he spots goblin skulls strewn around, patches of blood and vomit, and he hesistates a bit before crossing the drawbridge over a moat of fiery, molten rock. A dozen dirty wardogs sniff around him, as he makes his way - alone - into the bowels of the mountain. On the way, he encounters a one-legged naked dwarf crawling around babbling, on the brink of starvation. The dwarf is ignored by all.
He meets with the mayor, who proudly displays his new kitten-leather gloves with a sewn-on image of a burning human and doesn't seem to care that his legs are covered in somebody else's dried blood.
The mayor says: "Give me your pants."

Now, seriously, if I were Tall Beardlessguy, I wouldn't mind too. In fact, I wouldn't even dare breathing too loudly in fear of violating some obscure dwarven code of behaviour and have bolts made of my bones.

The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

I know it has been pointed out, but when I discovered that old adventurers are hung on spikes if they died at a goblin tower, I was struck with that familiar feeling of "Damn, I can't believe Toady put this in!"

AND it was at the God-Forsaken Castle

That was it's name.

Man, BES randomly generated name for a goblin tower. I also notice that Goblin Towers have more names that kinda make sense to them than everything else, with seemingly random names.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

I was surprised to see a cyclops I was sure I had pinned down (with a spear) just pull out the spear I had stuck in him (that I was still holding). I thought they only care to pull out stuff out of them once they're out of combat, but no, this one just "pulled out and released" the spear I was twisting in his left leg...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12