Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste  (Read 1458 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

Assuming you're talking about the pump method of bypassing aquifers, it's because they aren't relevant to the design. Your goal is merely to remove water quickly enough to be able to put some walls up. What happens to the water you're removing is up to you.

I've done some extensive flooding of the level of my fort immediately above an aquifer and certainly didn't notice the water vanishing any faster than evaporation would allow for. You have to have direct access to the aquifer (i.e. a channel to it) in order to drain the water away.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

About evaporation - my disposal method makes the floor of the entrance hallway wet (1/7 water after it drains away). Would having lava running in a tunnel under the hallway to make the stone warm quicken up the evaporation speed ? I'm not taking about using the lava to kill gobos, just to evaporate the water.
I'm just thinking ahead, to avoid mud going everywhere when mud spreading is re-implemented (in a later version).

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: Tanelorn ]

Pages: 1 [2]