Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste  (Read 1457 times)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste
« on: April 14, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

Hello,

I devised what I believe is a new method to get rid of the waste left behind by goblins. It's a flush, which uses water flow to destroy goblin clothing and cut-off limbs, but does NOT destroy the iron items (armors and weapons) or the corpses (for the bones). Basically it destroys light things and leaves heavy things.

I have tried it and it works brilliantly (plus I get the satisfaction of seeing the water turn red because of the gobo blood).

Currently, the flush cleans up the mess done by my defensive traps but with very minor changes, it could be used to kill AND clean, doing away with the need for traps altogether.

It works like this:
- Level Z=0 is the entrance (a hallway filled with traps, 15 tiles long and 3 tiles wides, with channels on both sides), with a raising bridge to shut the hallway.
- Level Z=1 (above the entrance) is a water tank supplied by pumps with some linked hatches above the middle tiles of the entrance.
- Level Z=-1 (under the entrance) is a 15 tile long by 5 tiles wide chamber which can be closed by flood gates. It has a few channeled tiles covered with grates.
- Level Z=-2 has floodgates under the grates of Z=-1 to permit/forbid water flow from above, and channels to evacuate the water into:
- Level Z=-3 (an aquifer). It removes all the water from Z=-2 when the floodgates are open, and supplies Z=1 with infinite water.

when the are dead gobos in the hallway, I open the hatches from Z=1 and the floodgates from Z=-2. The water flow pushes the cloths and the limbs into the side channels of the entrance. The corpses and iron items are too heavy to be pushed.
The cloths & limbs end up trapped in level Z=-1 with no escape (grates over the channels) and because of the water flow they move around. They get destroyed after a short time (maybe a bug, but I prefer the think that the rushing water rips them to shreds). That's is the sate disposal bit.
The water flows from Z=-1 into the aquifer to maintain flow in the disposal chamber.

And that's how it works. I can make my save available if someone tells me how to. Or make a movie.

To turn it into a killing device, the hatches just need to be open when there are gobos in the hallway. The flow would push the live goblins into the side channels and they would be trapped in the disposal chamber (it happened with dwarves trying to collect the iron armors while the water was coming). They would not drown until you decide to close the floodgates of Z=-2, then the disposal chamber would fill up to 7/7 with water (my dwarves survived their stay in the disposal chamber, and I let them out by opening the floodgate on Z=-1 after closing the hatches)

Do you like me idea ?

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Tanelorn ]

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Flushing - a new method to manage goblin waste
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Sounds fun and useful. Unfortunately I don't have that much water available in my current fort  :(

Going to try that out later.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:57:00 am »

It should work well, as long as it considering the fact that water instantly going to 7/7 doesn't (supposedly) have a pushing effect.

Then again, i just prefer magma.

Magma is overrated.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

nahkh, I chose a map with an aquifer with this in mind. I made a short guide to dig through multiple aquifers in the gameplay section of the forum. Have a look if you are afraid of aquifers, they actually are very simple to manage.

sneakey pete, it is true that 7/7 water doesn't push. That is why I have grates to constantly remove the water so it never reaches 7/7 (unless I want to drown critters, and then I just shut the floodgates)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

I did a similar thing on my map: my entrance has a retracting bridge that covers a pit, into which I can release magma. I have a magma cistern that's sized to ensure that the pit gets filled to 1/7 and no higher, which neatly burns up the goblin crud for me. At some point I hope to set up an elevated magma cistern so I can drop magma on the goblins instead of goblins on the magma, but that'll take rather more planning. I can't use water for flushing since it freezes year-round (glacier map).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Thasero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

On the moderately-related note of dumping goblins into lava, I found a pretty amusing map where a volcano was covered by a lip of ground, so that the caldera was essentially a cave.  I made an entrance to my fort arranged so that a long hallway was directly above the lava, then channeled out the floor and replace it with hatch covers.  Then I have a lever that opens the hatches.

When gobbos rush the entrance, I just pull the lever, conveniently located next to the dining room.  The timing rarely works out, but it's awesome when it does - I once dumped a whole squad of goblins into the volcano.  It warms the cockles of my heart to annihilate a legion of enemies with two keypresses and one dwarf job.

Trapping the gobbos in cages, then marking the cages to be dumped into the magma is also pretty amusing, but due to a bug has the unfortunate side effect of teleporting a stack of flaming goblin rubbish onto the cage trap the cage originally came from.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

I had a contraption that made use of flushing, too.

I built a room outside, I used some pumps to bring water from the river, and used floodgates to regulate the flow into the room. I then built some hatches on the floor, and dug a tunnel for the water below the room. The tunnel eventually came to the edge of a 5-level drop. I also built a "chimney" to the room, where I would dump my goblin prisoners. Then I'd open the floodgates and let the evil creatures drown >:P

Soon, I'd just close the floodgates, open the hatches and let the goblin stuff float away :P . Later I did build a few grates to the tunnel to prevent the giant cave spider silk stuff from flowing away :P .

A question, though: an aquifier also "drains" water?

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tanelorn:
<STRONG> Level Z=-3 (an aquifer). It removes all the water from Z=-2 when the floodgates are open</STRONG>

pardon my ignorance, but how does this work?  i've seen a few people talking about using aquifers to dispose of water, and i've looked under aquifer under the wiki to no avail.  how do you dispose of water by dumping it here?  wont it just overflow back to the height of the water source, i.e. the height of the pump filling your holding tank at z+1?

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

Aquifers absorb water.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

Basically, any water that encounters a channel to an aquifer is destroyed. Side view:
code:

....3    ...12    ....2
###7# => ###7# => ###7# where numbers are depth
#####    #####    #####

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Basically, any water that encounters a channel to an aquifer is destroyed. Side view:
code:

....3    ...12    ....2
###.# => ###.# => ###.# where numbers are depth
#####    #####    ##### <-- AQUIFER LAYER

</STRONG>

fixed.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

more questions then.  i have a situation where this does not seem to be the casee, and i dont want to risk a prommissing fort by experimenting dangerously.

I have a situation like this:

code:

0 ,,.,,.X.,.,,,..,,  <- surface level, daisys and shit
1 ######X       ###  <- regular dirt
2 ##########~~#####  <- aquifer
3 #################  <- aquifer
4 ##..............#  <- fort starts down here

i dug out layer 1, so that to stand there is to be standing on top of the roof of layer 2, which is to be an aquifer layer.

cHanneling down from layer one breaches the layer 2 aquifer, and the hole fills with water.

but the floor of this breach is on top of the layer 3 aquifer, which should be destroying the water, according to the diagram provided by Derakon/GreyMario.

if i dump water onto layer 1, it should be destroyed?  if i EXPAND my cHannel to level 2 to be a bigger hole, the water pouring out of the aquifer from 1 should be destroyed by the second aquifer before it spreads?  so:

code:

1 ######X         #  <- regular dirt
2 ########~      ~#  <- aquifer
3 #################  <- aquifer

would happen, instead of:

code:

1 ######X         #  <- regular dirt
2 ########~~~~~~~~#  <- aquifer
3 #################  <- regular rock

is that right?

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

GreyMario was wrong.

Holes in the aquifer layer absorb water.
Any tile under an aquifer tile will also fill with water because the floor of the aquifer tile also counts as an aquifer and will pour water downwards.

code:

#         # <- dirt
#~~~~~~~~~# <- aquifer
########### <- aquifer
########### <- dirt

#         # <- dirt
#V       V# <- aquifer
#~#######~# <- aquifer
########### <- dirt

#         # <- dirt
#         # <- aquifer
#~#######~# <- aquifer
#####~##### <- dirt

V = water being absorbed into the bottom layer

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GreyMario:
<STRONG>

fixed.</STRONG>

As noted, in fact completely wrong. Please don't correct me unless you know what you're talking about.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »

So, mister 'I'm Always Right' (both of you, twats), explain why the pump-based aquifer method doesn't have channels leading to the aquifer layer at the point where the pumps expel water?

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: GreyMario ]

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.
Pages: [1] 2