Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cell Lab: Evolution  (Read 2741 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Cell Lab: Evolution
« on: August 01, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »

Quote from: Play Store
Cell Lab simulates few-celled organisms. It contains 45 challenges where the player is presented with an environment and has to design an organism that will survive in it. Solving challenges unlocks additional genes that can give cells new properties.

The encoding of the cells behavior has been made as intuitive as possible without losing generality but it nevertheless takes a bit of effort to understand. Going through the provided tutorials carefully is recommended.

Cell Lab also contains an experimental mode where the user can set the parameters of the environment and put designed organisms in it to see how they multiply (or die). It is also possible to seed this environment with random genomes and once a viable genome has been seeded one can see how it slowly evolves through tiny mutations to an organism well adapted to the environment it is in.

It is then possible to change the environment to see how they re-adapt, fast forward the simulation, and finally to save and share it.

This simulation is not biologically realistic, all cells in Cell Lab only has one function, to swim, to eat, to collect sunlight, to float, etc . This is not how cells work in nature where one cell can do many things at once. This accuracy has been traded off to be able to make an interesting game. The cells have also been made to multiply very fast, this also for the enjoyment of the user.

What is realistic is the evolution taking place in this game. How species adapt to their environment and compete with each other to sometimes attain an equilibrium and sometimes extinction.
I noticed this game has no thread, its a small game as well. but the fun part is making things. You can share your substrates and genomes and challenges (substrates with written out goals/rules). This is a discussion thread.

External links
Playstore: here
Apple version: None as far as i know, sorry!
Forum: here
Spoiler: "Cool things" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:41:13 pm by MoonyTheHuman »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Lab: Evolution
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »

For some reason this game hits my bug response... O_O

I am kind of creeped out.

Though this isn't the worst cell game in terms of creeping me out.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:40:27 pm »

For some reason this game hits my bug response... O_O

I am kind of creeped out.

Though this isn't the worst cell game in terms of creeping me out.
quite a few things are late game, early game things shouldn't hit it too hard, a bunch of spheres multiplying doesn't look like a bug  :P

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:59:47 pm »

Is there any way to get it OTHER than google play store?
I am afriad not, this game is developed by a single person, for a single mobile os, android

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:28 pm »

Is there any way to get it OTHER than google play store?
Well if you want to play it on your PC, you can do so using Bluestacks, the Android virtual machine.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 07:56:49 am »

Tried it, was sort of fun for a while but a lot of the challenges are sort of BS. I can make a stable ecosystem of cells but hurr durr it only makes 399 instead of 400 cells

Nitrocytes are BS too. You can't delay splitting based on how much nitrate you have, so half of the time your spores just wont ever split at all and theres literally nothing you can do gg

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 10:28:39 am »

Tried it, was sort of fun for a while but a lot of the challenges are sort of BS. I can make a stable ecosystem of cells but hurr durr it only makes 399 instead of 400 cells

Nitrocytes are BS too. You can't delay splitting based on how much nitrate you have, so half of the time your spores just wont ever split at all and theres literally nothing you can do gg
There is the 'split mass' bar, you can delay splitting by raising it
You can also suggust it to Petter, the creator of the game

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »

Holy crap, I am bad at genetic design.

At least I managed to figure out the challenge with swimmers where the petri dish edges kills cells by making the flagellocyte come out a little crooked so they swim in circles.  That's something right?