Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipment of dead soldiers gets abandoned on the battlefield?  (Read 1308 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I just lost a lot of champions wearing masterwork armor to a siege. Their bodies were picked up and buried, but their armor is still lying there on the battlefield. I have an armor and weapon stockpile, so I don't know why my dwarves aren't clearing it up. Some of it has been lying there for a few seasons.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment of dead soldiers gets abandoned on the battlefield?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:20:48 pm »

You could dump all the armor and reclaim i later, or

Make a dummy squad and assign them the armor left on the battefield, and then you can remove the squad and they will probably drop the armor where they stand, but either solution may just move the armor to a different place and still not where you want it.
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »

you may just need to wait, the dwarven AI is known to do everything but the thing you actually want them to do at that moment

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:33:36 pm »

I always have two kinds of weapons and armor stockpiles (actually, for everything from finished goods to statues), some linked to the forges/workshops set to take from links only that take the high quality stuff my dwarfs make, and others unlinked set to take from anywhere.

You're either missing the second kind or you forgot some core/total quality setting. Or those options at the end with the accept non-plant stuff.

Or maybe the soldiers became attached to those items and you have to put a chest on their tombs so they can use their gear on dwarven valhalla.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

crundle

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:21:21 am »

...<snip>...
Or maybe the soldiers became attached to those items and you have to put a chest on their tombs so they can use their gear on dwarven valhalla.
Wait, so once a dwarf becomes attached to an item, no other dwarf will use it ever, even if the original owner is dead? And those items will be stored in chests in their tombs? I like the idea of burying their named weapons along with my soldiers...

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 12:11:05 pm »

Not in front of the game at the moment, but aren't the default standing orders to forbid all death items?
Are the items forbidden? Did you check that?
The reasoning behind it is so your haulers don't run out onto the battlefield to pick up crap and get themselves killed, causing more haulers to run out to pickup their crap. Rinse/repeat.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:09 pm »

...<snip>...
Wait, so once a dwarf becomes attached to an item, no other dwarf will use it ever, even if the original owner is dead? And those items will be stored in chests in their tombs? I like the idea of burying their named weapons along with my soldiers...

I know I read somewhere that when a dwarf becomes attached to their weapon/armour, that item becomes a "named artifact", and that if all the dwarfs who had kills with that weapon weren't given proper burials, the weapon was unusable.

Check the items with "k" to see if they have names or if they're forbiden. I think forbiden items look like this: {Dwarf leather sock}
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.