Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bay12 Public Domain Book Club and Discussion  (Read 5262 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Public Domain Book Club and Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 11:11:04 pm »

Could start with something short. The House On the Borderlands is free on Amazon, or at least, on my Kindle, and seems free various other places. It's a pretty quick read.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:13:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:17:05 pm »

Well actually less reading list and more monthly books, though I'm inclined for people to be able to choose which they want to read that month because free books tend to be hit or miss. What I am wondering about is how people would suggest books.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:23:06 pm »

Posting to watch.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 01:17:58 am »

Quote from: A Princess of Mars
In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers.

kek
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:31 am »

From the web: Worm

Spoiler: Synopsis (click to show/hide)

The above author J McCrae, a.k.a. "Wildbow" is most famed for the above work. His subsequent web serials, while well written, failed to attract the cult following of his first work. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the science fiction and superhero genre, as well as stories about underdogs who win through hard work, intelligence and careful planning instead of deus ex machina.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 02:32:01 am »

Huh, I thought Worm was a webcomic, never got around to checking it out and all I knew was that everyone had superpowers.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 02:54:35 am »

Don't expect to finish it in a weekend. Each of the story arcs are short novel length, and there are thirty of them. The whole work stands at something around 1,680,000 words. By comparison, Lord of the Rings (all three) is 481,000 words, and Harry Potter (all of them total) is 1,081,000 words. But having finished the whole lot myself, I steadfastly recommend Worm to anyone not intimidated by its length. It stands up on its own merit, and I've spent many nights reading just one more chapter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 03:57:55 am »

Another thing to mention with regard to public domain work: Poetry. There's a bounty of poets whose writings are well and truly no longer under copyright.

To give an example, here's a little story that came out of my home country from a bit over a hundred years ago about two writers, both rather well known in their own right, who had a bit of a disagreement in a newspaper called The Bulletin.

Known today as the Bulletin Debate, it started on 9 July 1892 with Henry Lawson taking a poke at the tendency of many Australian writers and poets, such as "Banjo" Paterson, to romanticise bush life, especially given they were based primarily in the city. His poem was published in the newspaper and is linked below.

Up the Country

On 23 July 1892, Paterson published his reply to Up the Country in The Bulletin, responding in defence of the bush life.

In Defence of the Bush

So here we have what is essentially a pre-internet example of a flame war between two big forum personalities, with a couple of additional posters jumping in to add their own comments. Each week one would post a reply to the other's previous poem, and the nation watched with delight. Their responses are linked below in order.

(30 July 1892) Edward Dyson - The Fact of the Matter
(6 August 1892) Henry Lawson - In Answer to "Banjo", and Otherwise (retitled: The City Bushman)
(20 August 1892) Herbert Humphrey Cripps Clark - The Overflow of Clancy (A pun on the title of one of Paterson's most famous poems)
(27 August 1892) Francis Kenna - Banjo, of the Overflow
(1 October 1892) Banjo Paterson - An Answer to Various Bards
(8 October 1892) Henry Lawson - The Poets of the Tomb
(20 October 1894) Banjo Paterson - A Voice from the Town

It's really amazing how even a hundred years ago people are still basically the same. Even to the point that Banjo Paterson necro'd a two year old thread just so he could get the last word in the debate.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 04:10:49 pm »

For the first non-fiction entry I suggest The Book of the Damned by Charles Fort.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 04:14:13 pm »

and the fact that people likely won't want to read fanfics.
You could always put fanfics in their own little list.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 07:58:08 pm »

The Book of the Damned (1919)

Spoiler: Chapter 1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:39:08 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 01:00:15 am »

It's apparently a style of fiction that incorporates hyperlinks.

Also gutenberg. Always gutenberg.

Sometimes I go on gutenberg binges, it's been a while since the last one.

The Extraction of the Teeth, random link off the front page, 1896 dentistry guide

It was an arousing experience reading the first page aloud in my most menacing voice. This book is everything you'd expect from the title and publication date.

The thumb placed between the handles acts as a regulator to control the amount of pressure of the blades upon the tooth. As a precaution it is well to have the ball of the thumb well between the handles, so that the pressure is counteracted not only by the soft tissues, but also by the terminal bony phalanx of the thumb. If this precaution be not observed, any sudden crushing of the tooth may be accompanied by a severe and very painful contusion of the operator’s thumb.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:17:26 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »

ptw, also the john carter books are bloody excellent.  They are super pulp-y but it's done well.
Nom nom nom

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 06:16:28 pm »

Ooooooooooh!!!!

Books!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5