Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What year did you start playing?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: When did you start playing Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 5193 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did you start playing Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 02:38:13 pm »

Somewhere between 2006/2007, so pretty early adopter.  I remember when the big things were yearly flooding, collapsing ceilings for digging out an area larger than 7x7 - 1, ambushes jumping out of wells, filling the chasm with magma and feeling pretty damn lucky if you found a vein of iron before you reached said chasm.

The DF we have today is a much different game.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:42:41 pm by RedWick »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 11:57:16 am »

Same, late 2006 or early 2007 I created my forum account in 2007 so I went with that.  There was an article in a gaming magazine I read at the time. I don't remember what one.  Talking about how amazingly complex the game was even back then I just so happened to be looking for another nice little timewaster game like Zangband and tried it out.

I was probably one of the first few dozen or so people to mod the game too.  Having replaced dwarves with dragonpeople in the later days of 2D.   The flier tag worked so much better on fortress races back then...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 08:26:24 pm »

I started September 8th 2010, DF was version 31.12 back then and Sippycup on youtube had the most current tutorials on it.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 08:34:45 pm »

40d era.

i'm old.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 09:04:57 pm »

I remember trying it back in 2012 and having no idea what I was doing. I watched a tutorial but it just confused me more, I didn't understand the difference between the map screen and fortmode at that time.

Didn't really start playing until late 2014.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 10:50:21 pm »

Same, late 2006 or early 2007 I created my forum account in 2007 so I went with that.  There was an article in a gaming magazine I read at the time. I don't remember what one.  Talking about how amazingly complex the game was even back then I just so happened to be looking for another nice little timewaster game like Zangband and tried it out.

I was probably one of the first few dozen or so people to mod the game too.  Having replaced dwarves with dragonpeople in the later days of 2D.   The flier tag worked so much better on fortress races back then...

And to this day, the Toady uses dragon people as the example for the occasional mod save that gets sent in for bugtesting.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 01:32:45 am »

I couldn't remember, had to do some detective work to find out. Then it occurred to me to check forum registration date. Yup, 2008.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 10:04:31 am »

And to this day, the Toady uses dragon people as the example for the occasional mod save that gets sent in for bugtesting.
Hehe well these days I can't be the ONLY one with a race of dragonpeople.  Despite what I thought when I was younger it's hardly an original idea. That's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to publishing a mod.  None of my ideas are original, and I don't have the time to maintain for bugs.
And I do vaguely recall mentioning in the bug submission that it was heavily modded. :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:06:29 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:41 am »

Then post them as abandoned and give permission to use them or create derivate work based upon them.

The idea does not has to be original to be good. Best Skyrim mods for example do not bring anything 'original' - instead they fix bugs or add missing content, missing functionality, expand player possibilities with something obvious etc.

Be brave!  :)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 06:36:28 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:31:36 pm by Toady One »

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »

I think either late 2015 or early 2016. I cannot be sure.

For the love of whatever, try a smaller font.

I started Dorfing around 2010? 2012 is when I got this forum account.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.
Pages: 1 2 [3]