Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 71541 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2016, 09:57:30 am »

Careful with roof + apple tree saplings for cider. I recall the existence nasty bug with trees growing into constructions that I have thankfully not be crashed by yet but is somthing of a problem.

I think that was fixed in 42.02
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154333.msg6645924#msg6645924
Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed crash from building constructions on tree leaves etc.

We have Giant Kea love and hate going on.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2016, 10:37:46 am »

You know who Sanctume is? Just read Breadbowl's fifth year. He knows his dwarven crafts.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:22 am »

Yeah, it was Breadbowl that I was thinking of when mentioning it, given the fort had trouble with it and was upgraded to 42.06. Also, another DFFMD thread that also suspected the fix wasn't complete, iirc.

@LegendaryTyper: 5th would be hard to manage, given how often you can milk animals :P

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:07 pm »

Nah, I just have some downtime at work to google fu and search bay12.

If not enough cheese, you can "d" and set details of engravings for more. :)

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2016, 01:59:23 pm »

Nobles menu -> Select Udil -> (r)eplace with Zefon.

I should have known there was a way to do that. Again, first succession game :L

Speaking of which, you totally added Rovod to military squad without disabling her hunting labour or ensuring enough bolts available for both hunting and military?

Yeah, that's probably what caused the odd behavior. I was just overeager to get rid of the keas.

Is Urist Tangleplanks better than the current Carpenter?

I don't think so, Urist is only skill level 2 iirc.

PS: A kea can fly faster than a trap can jam across linear path, at least. While there's diagonal on the corner, put some cage traps at the end perhaps (giant kea, at least, do have some meat on them).

However, if you want to make it go faster make the appropriate item stockpiles be near the traps, then build the traps taking the closest items.

PPS: Keas might try to steal the components unless stopped by locked hatch/door.

Hah, I did not expect this project to take up so much time and effort. I've probably screwed it up on multiple accounts already. Cage traps sound great, though.

This is indeed a pretty cool succession game (sigh)

I regret to say that unfortunately i wasn't able to launch the save no matter what i did ( I blame apple corp)
this means i quit.......... :'( :'( :'(
sorry everyone.

Dang, that sucks. Want us to dorf you regardless?

4-Cheese .

5-More Cheese.

Sounds about right, given we embarked with literally 10 different kinds of milk. Maybe I should get on that...

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2016, 09:44:06 pm »

Very fun!
I would like to dorf into this fort, being a part of it in that way, if that is okay with everyone.

Kinda new to this Succession Fort stuffs, but the stories of it reads amazing, just like this one already! :D

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 09:57:31 pm »

Very fun!
I would like to dorf into this fort, being a part of it in that way, if that is okay with everyone.

Kinda new to this Succession Fort stuffs, but the stories of it reads amazing, just like this one already! :D

Hi Malakor, and thanks! Any preferences on profession or anything like that?

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 10:11:42 pm »

Well, maybe some an Militia member-dorf.
Maybe with an battle axe or something like that. lawl

Cut that! I took a look thru the migrants again: (M) Sibrek Shovedcrystals, Butcher
If its okay, i would like to devour his soul to get some space in this body, and become "him"! :D

Thanks for enlisting me into the Fort, btw! :D
Hope everything goes well!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:17:04 pm by Malakor »

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2016, 12:46:37 am »

I've dorfed Malakor as Sibrek, and Onciblu as Asob while I'm at it. Pretty sure I'm not crossing any bounds here...

And without further ado, the winter 500 update.

The Journal of Zefon "Blahsadfeguie" Simplepainted, Woodcutter
1st Moonstone, 500

Winter is officially here. I've ordered the construction of a few gold cages, so that any keas that survive the traps can be... repurposed. As food, probably. I hope Rovod isn't offended by this less direct hunting method.

5th Moonstone, 500

Finally, after all of these diversions, we're starting construction of the roof over the grazer enclosure so that it is no longer vulnerable.

It's starting to get colder... I took a brief walk outside and was hit by a frigid wind that brought me to my knees from the suddenness of it. Perhaps we should build an underground reservoir before the brook freezes over. Not that I expect us to run out of drinks, I just have to quell this creeping paranoia. You know how it goes.

9th Moonstone, 500

The wood burners complained in tandem today; seems they'd run out of logs to burn.

While heading out into the cold to chop some more wood, I spotted Rovod proudly dragging the corpse of a mountain goat back to our fortress. I'm not so much relieved about her kill than I am that she'd finally sobered up just enough to do her job properly.

"Isn't it a little chilly to be hunting?" I called to her as she walked by.

"Isn't it a little chilly to be chopping trees?" she teased, with a wide grin.

She had me there. I shrugged and picked up my axe, knowing the sooner I finished my work, the better.

15th Moonstone, 500

After the umpteenth request for a temple to such and such god, I caved and marked out a small spot on an unused floor for one.

Personally, for the record, I considered this whole location to be a temple devoted to Datan, and we were carrying out Her wishes, so I was not concerned. But, in the interest of not getting struck down by some gruesome plague, I finally decided that it would be better to play it safe.

I picked a spot that I thought had a good amount of native gold, but it turns out I was... a bit mistaken. I'll have the place smoothed and filled with golden tributes soon enough. Can't say I'm not trying, heh heh...!

18th Moonstone, 500

The temple area, which we have dubbed the Cloudy Monastery, is open for business. Udil wanted to be the one to smooth it, so he is doing that now. I've queued up a gold chest and some instruments as well.

24th Moonstone, 500

I was going to start planning out construction of the reservoir and well today, but it looks like the brook has already frozen over. Whoops.

Eh, nothing saying I can't go ahead and make the plans anyway.

25th Moonstone, 500

As I was gauging the size and placement of the bedrooms to plan out the reservoir's position, mostly to see if it was at all practical to put it one floor below the dining hall... I smelled a rather putrid scent coming from Rovod's room.

Since she wasn't around, I decided to poke my head in and... nearly gagged.

The mountain goat corpse was in her room at the foot of her bed.

I'd attribute this to more alcohol abuse, but honestly, she takes her job so seriously I wouldn't be surprised if she was trying to make a trophy out of it...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Opal, 500

The butcher does not want to touch that aged corpse, and I don't blame him. But we kind of have to get rid of it. I have the feeling even Rovod's not going to like it when the rot starts to really kick in.

I have to deal with the smell every night, since I made the sage decision of putting my room right next to hers...

I'm going to designate a corpse stockpile right next to the butcher shop and see if they ignore it then.

5th Opal, 500

They're ignoring it.

The smell's starting to drive me mad... I don't even care about butchering it now, I just want it out of here.

6th Opal, 500

After a long and draining argument, I finally convinced Nish to dispose of the goat corpse. It has found a resting place just outside of the entrance to the fortress.

Later that day, I saw Rovod wandering around the fortress as if she were looking for something. I made myself scarce and waited for her to get drunk again before showing my face around her.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rethinking our relationship.

11th Opal, 500

After finally melting down all the iron, we wound up with a grand total of 10 bars. Still, we're going to want to dig for flux stone soon to process it. I'm going to put Udil's smoothing project on hold for a while so that we can get started.

1st Obsidian, 500

No luck finding flux stone so far; it seems the miners are more interested in getting the well area and reservoir dug. I guess that is the more urgent task, since the ice will melt before long, making it a bit more dangerous to breach the water area.

I did learn that Asen is making masterwork gold crafts now, so that's excellent news. Time to start cutting gems with which to improve them further!

10th Obsidian, 500

Udil's skills with the pickaxe have improved considerably since our arrival, I've noticed. He now swings it like it's a part of himself. Rocks crumble with ease before his might. One might even say he's... a Legend.

11th Obsidian, 500

Udil suddenly came running up the long stairway to the depths and exclaimed between pants, "Tetrahedrite!"

"What?!" I responded, nearly choking on my finger millet beer.

"Tetrahedrite, sir," he continued after catching his breath. "It's an ore of copper, sometimes silver. We just found a vein."

I blinked at him. "Big deal," I replied. "Copper's little more than Datan's bile, and silver... well, it makes for an alright hammer, but not much else. Found any flux stone yet?"

"No, sir," he answered, rubbing the back of his head. "I... just thought you should know that."

I downed the last of my drink. "Well get back to digging already!" I said, chucking the empty goblet at him. I was off by a mile, but he got the idea and ducked back out quickly. I heard a faint exasperate sigh.

I don't care if he's a legendary miner, if he's not doing his job and interrupting my drinking time, he's due for a pounding.

Now that I think about it some more, it might be more practical to use copper for the stuff that's going to be not directly in display, like cages for the trap...

Nah.

15th Obsidian, 500

Marble! Finally!

I had to give Udil my praise for once as he returned carrying a pebble of the stone that would enable us to begin steel production. We'd have to wait for the next caravan for it to really kick off, but our dreams of equipping a proper military are that much closer to being realized.

28th Obsidian, 500

The year has come to an end, and with it, my time as overseer of this fine fortress. At least for now.

I have yet to find out who will take my place, but as a woodcutter, I'll find myself with a lot more free time. Maybe I'll get to know Rovod a lot better... and keep her out of trouble.

I never got the chance to set up a proper military, so maybe I can enlist if the next overseer gets around to it. I do think myself quite handy with an axe.

The last thing I was able to do was finish the well...

...though apparently they still haven't finished connecting the brook to the reservoir. Hopefully they won't forget without my constant nagging.

Ah, hell, I'll nag at them anyway. I've honed it down to an art by this point.

Here's the save. Even though it was rather uneventful, I had some fun with it, and I like to think I established a pretty good base for future overseers to paint with various types of blood. At least for a succession newbie.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:48:28 am by Blahsadfeguie »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2016, 08:12:52 am »

Gratz on finishing a year. *looks at save* I hope Rovod won't hunt all the peregine falcons.

I think this cistern is gonna flood. Easily fixable. *peeks in DT* Sanctume will get to handle the labours of hospitalising, I guess. Hopefully, that won't be necessary with 0 disease resistance on guzlogem

Surprised at you using 3x3 stairwell for exploration as well. Is there a reason the animal pasture has to have access to trade depot?

...and, hm, I misunderstood the OP. I thought the embark would be 3x3, but it is 6x6.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2016, 10:17:22 am »

Good job, no one died, not that body count and decibels of screams count for much. 

The goat sacrifice is a nice touch or maybe a foreshadowing. 

6x6 embark?  And we have a forest? 
Well, this will make it interesting if I go all out above ground and pave roads of gold.

However, I'm torn on using the 10 iron bars to make at least 2 minecarts + iron pipe section + corkscrew and get magma forge up sooner. 

But it will probably take 1 season to search for magma.  And with all the forest above, we can go heavy coal industry instead.

A minecart delivery system without knowing how deep will take more than a year.

So, some projects to consider: 
-Hospital with private rooms, with a wing for injured patients, and a wing for luxury jails with private wells.
Which of course includes some indoor plumbing, secured cistern, filtered water, and draining capabilities. 

-Can probably setup my old water measured bathtub entrance.

-No on mist generator due to 6x6 size?  But perhaps if we cut down all the trees, we save some FPS for small mist generator?

-It also seems we're liking below ground, and this deserves a "designed entrance" :)  I can probably do a smaller design but I have to test is 7-12 dwarfs peasants can handle it within a year.  It's good that we have a legendary miner.  I hope to have a few skilled mechanic and engraver out of this.

Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself.  I'll check the save when I get home tonight and will have the weekend of DF.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:01 am »

- I approve of iron minecarts, though you can just limit it to 2 iron for a single cart with impulse/valid-valid-fake ramps with last two in trench. Going to want to do that eventually anyway, though digging downstair or downramps(if carving tracks in afterwards) will probably tie up 1 miner.

- Prospect reports magma 26..31. Unexpected, given the ores, but what can you do.

- After seeing it's ignorance, I challenge you to make your bathtub entrance automatically cleansing >:D
(Not that this map really needs one. No evil biome airspace shears, even.)

- Regarding a hospital & mist generator, I'm not sure how much of a FPS penalty mist alone has - I usually build just 1 with stationary water powered by endlessly falling (2x3+) / skipping (2x6+) minecart, haven't really industrialised or analysed them. I know heavy miasma of lot of food simultaneously rotting can drop FPS noticeably, which is kind of similar I guess.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:59:39 am by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2016, 11:30:38 am »

What's our pop now?

I might just skip mining for magma and play with water instead. 

I do hate cave adaptation.  How about I excavate dirt to expose stone to sunlight?  Yeah, more excuse to cut trees, lots of trees. 

And think of a tastefully placed entrance from surface to stone fortress, hmm...

Is the bug where you collapse surface dirt down somewhere lower, still produce trees on the z+0 level in open space?
I'm thinking of collapsing max zone size surface dirt, so we have our own fruit orchard down below.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »

Man, this has been really fun to read through. I'll get some more experience with vanilla dwarf fortress again in the mean time, but I'd love to join in however I can.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »

Pop is 18, none are children, the map's cave-in don't seem to transmutate soil into non-soil (though they seem to transmutate it), but I think you might want to actually increase FPS, likewise - I got 65 when doing few dig designations for cave-in test.

Btw, regarding that bug, I recall it happened with ignored/caved in saplings, I think? Well, if it exists can give them a wall to hold on to in 3 years.

Regarding cave adaptation, might be bit difficult to completely defend against open sky, but at the very least should be able to make most tiles of fort count as above ground/inside (perhaps wells/misters excepted, what's with the temperate biome).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:31:44 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17