Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Dancing Demons (Post-Apoc/Sci-Fi Base Mgmt SG)  (Read 6319 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dancing Demons (Post-Apoc/Sci-Fi Base Mgmt SG)
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 05:30:17 pm »

With out other 4 actions how does
Scavenging the nearby Badlands, the West Gate, and both Towers
sound?

I would prefer to explore the entire base before we start blowing up the Blast Door honesty. Plus, it's currently only lightly damaged, if we can open it without doing significant damage, we have solid protection for the rest of the game. If we repair them to Undamaged, that might let us get it open as well.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 05:39:14 pm »

Notice I forgot something, you can designate vehicles to be 'deactivated' as a non-action, which prevents them from being used in actions or being able to be immediately used when you come under attack, but also prevents them from using up fuel.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 05:43:28 pm »

We should deactivate all not-food-maintaining vehicles. I'm going to guess we can still use the gear on Jackson's truck while it's turned off, correct?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »

We should deactivate all not-food-maintaining vehicles. I'm going to guess we can still use the gear on Jackson's truck while it's turned off, correct?

You would be able to.  However, I should note you likely want to keep at least 1 of the Combat Cars and 1 Transport activated to get better results from scavenging the badlands.  In addition, active vehicles have a chance to run across incoming raids (implied as them being on a patrol), giving you a warning an attack is incoming.

I know I keep forgetting stuff, and I'm sorry about that.  This is kinda serving as a rough prototype for a video game I'm making, and my notes are horribly made...
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 06:22:14 pm »

I'd advise against blowing the doors off. If we can refurbish the base being able to close those doors would be a particularly effective defence. We'd probably need to see what the interface for it is.

Other than that, this;
Scavenging the nearby Badlands, the West Gate, and both Towers
Is a sound plan, so it has my vote.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 06:41:34 pm »

Do we have any armor in stock?

Let's look through the base first. Someone may have written down a way to open the blast doors.
Scavange the Badlands, Armory, Vehicle Storage, Gates, and Northwest Tower.
Deactivate most vehicles.
Activate the food truck, combat trucks, and enough transports for the scavenging team to all be mounted in transports or a combat truck, with at least half a vehicle's storage to spare for carrying loot.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 06:49:48 pm »

In that case, we should leave all the vehicles fueled for now as we have enough fuel that we can afford to use it a little freely for now.

Suggested building priorities:
Smelter
Water purifier
Greenhouse
Laboratory/Engineering Workshop

Metal is more valuable than scrap metal and being able to convert over on a 1:1 basis is very economically powerful. We have less water so that comes before food, and then we grab food and become self sustaining. We can already make things and it looks like we have access to a vehicle bay once we search and repair it, so both of those are lowest priorities. Which leaves teching ourselves up as what comes next after sustainability.

Let's look through the base first. Someone may have written down a way to open the blast doors.
Activate the food truck, combat trucks, and enough transports for the scavenging team to all be mounted in transports or a combat truck, with at least half a vehicle's storage to spare for carrying loot.

+1 this only instead having all vehicles running.

I recommend a section specifically devoted to stocks of equipment and resources as well as upkeep be created to provide better visible access. Like a meta section not an in game section.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 07:04:34 pm »

We only have 12.8 turns of fuel (plus unknown garage stocks), don't have an immediate way to get more, don't know if this is a good place to anchor ourselves, and there are hints that the GM doesn't want us to build a permanent base on turn 1.
You're starting as mercs.  In order to get jobs, you need to be mobile.  To make sure you don't leave anything behind, you need to be entirely mobile.  You only have so much of a capability to work on stuff in such a situation (especially with no vehicle augmentations.).
We are the ________, a mercenary group formerly under the command of the warlord Withered Hawke before his death in battle against some new force from the eastern deserts.  Our contract expired, our force headed south into the badlands.  We had gotten some word of some jobs in the direction.  That was when we came across it.  An old military base, its surface occupants apparently killed by any one of numerous raider groups that were known to inhabit this area.  Notably, some blast doors built into a nearby cliffside were intact, with only relatively minor damage to the outer surface. There were enough supplies here that we determined it worth our time to search the area, with a few more opportunistic individuals seeking to find a way to open the blast doors.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:44 pm »

...fixed.

We only have 12.8 turns of fuel (plus unknown garage stocks), don't have an immediate way to get more, don't know if this is a good place to anchor ourselves, and there are hints that the GM doesn't want us to build a permanent base on turn 1.
You're starting as mercs.  In order to get jobs, you need to be mobile.  To make sure you don't leave anything behind, you need to be entirely mobile.  You only have so much of a capability to work on stuff in such a situation (especially with no vehicle augmentations.).
We are the ________, a mercenary group formerly under the command of the warlord Withered Hawke before his death in battle against some new force from the eastern deserts.  Our contract expired, our force headed south into the badlands.  We had gotten some word of some jobs in the direction.  That was when we came across it.  An old military base, its surface occupants apparently killed by any one of numerous raider groups that were known to inhabit this area.  Notably, some blast doors built into a nearby cliffside were intact, with only relatively minor damage to the outer surface. There were enough supplies here that we determined it worth our time to search the area, with a few more opportunistic individuals seeking to find a way to open the blast doors.

The former was to illustrate the starting situation you would have, and the latter was intended to show the initial lines of thought the mercenaries would have upon finding the location.  Those comments were not intended as meaning anything about the suitability of the location.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 04:45:42 am »

We would look pretty silly if we blow open the blast doors then find a generator and key to open the doors in one of the broken towers.  We can do massive building actions later, mostly underground, after we have a better idea of what is in here and what is nearby.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 07:59:39 pm »

Are the blast doors, armory, and vehicle storage inside the walls? Is there any space for more buildings inside the walls?

How long is a turn, and do we have any quick, free actions in-between turn posts?

If we do, I'd like to have a quick report on the blast doors. Does it look like there's an outer access panel of some sort, or like it would all be inside?
Are there any obvious signs about the base's former owners?
Have someone take a quick peek inside the buildings. It should only take a few minutes to get a vehicle count from the garage, and if any of the other buildings look like they have workshops, greenhouses, or a smelter.
Do we know anything about local factions (IE, is this base near warlord X's territory, or is it just ... lots of raiders?), settlements, or where a nearby river is?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 10:07:09 pm »

Whelp, had the turn nearly done, but then my mayfly of a laptop decided to die and cost me all my progress.  Settle it tomorrow.

Are the blast doors, armory, and vehicle storage inside the walls? Is there any space for more buildings inside the walls?

In order: Yes, Yes, Yes, No.

How long is a turn, and do we have any quick, free actions in-between turn posts?

I mentally think of it as being 1 week, but honestly, assigning any definitive number to it makes time taken for stuff go weird.

No free actions besides setting 'use rate' and activating/deactivating vehicles.

Do we know anything about local factions (IE, is this base near warlord X's territory, or is it just ... lots of raiders?), settlements, or where a nearby river is?

It's pretty empty from the group's first impressions, but they were just heading through the area from some directions they got and verified the quality of.  They only have general information about hazards and the such.  Can say there are no warlords in the area, for now.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2016, 03:38:11 pm »

Whelp, had the turn nearly done, but then my mayfly of a laptop decided to die and cost me all my progress.  Settle it tomorrow.
I hope you haven't given up on this because of that. When I refresh my FG&RP tab, this is the game I most hope to see a turn for.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2016, 04:13:10 pm »

+1 this only instead having all vehicles running.

I recommend a section specifically devoted to stocks of equipment and resources as well as upkeep be created to provide better visible access. Like a meta section not an in game section.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:57 pm »

I hope you haven't given up on this because of that. When I refresh my FG&RP tab, this is the game I most hope to see a turn for.

The problem is coming from me having difficulty in deciding how to format how the turn will be, and proceeding to scrap attempts because they all sound off.  So I try something else, it sounds off.  Repeat ab nauseum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5