Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash  (Read 4298 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 12:50:16 pm »

Hee.  Thanks for the corrections, all. 

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 01:15:09 pm »

And thanks for the summary!  A lot of it I remember now, but it helps to have it all together like that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:04 pm »

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" plus twitch button-mashing...  Damn that sounds fun.  (comic)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:37 pm »

Of course, it's only fair that future people will be as bad at history as us. It still stings a little, though. :P
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-23

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 10:54:58 pm »

Heh, I think it's hilarious.  Came up a lot in the early strips, but I think he dropped the joke for a while?

Also, if that stings, you'll hate the relevant XKCD :P
She/they

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »

Even when he's given a new ship, he doesn't name it. Tagon tells someone else to.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »

Finally showing a little respect to non-organic life, too!  And easing up on non-human relationships onboard.
I think dying led to some soul-searching.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »

Or maybe they made a few small modifications to his mind. Either-or, really. :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »

Man, there's more gone on in this comic than I can remember. Schuul? I have no idea what that's about. Maybe I should re-read this some day, but with how much there is it could easily take more than a week.

First off, thanks a lot for finding that reference!  Wow!

Having a superficially masculine female like that is almost even better to me, honestly.  Which I guess leaves the odd lack of homosexuality as a question...  One which I definitely give Howard the benefit of the doubt on.  I'm thinking "unfortunate past atrocity" rather than the author suspending realism out of discomfort.  Particularly given the non-standard pairings he's actively showing.
If you look at the statistics of it, there hasn't actually been enough romances in the comic that none of them being homosexual would be odd for modern rates of homosexuality.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 02:13:48 pm »

The Schuul are the weird ones speaking Galstandard Peroxide
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »

Pretty old thread, but a new book just started, and the book that just ended did so with a somewhat important explosion. I think now is a good time to restart discussion, if we have anything to say. :P

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 09:19:14 pm »

I’m not entirely sure what exploded, in any case. It was one of peteys city-fortress things, right?

Also what exactly allows the Panuuri to zero-in their shots against Peteys installations but he is incapable of doing himself to their galactic generator (which is just as physical presumably as his)? One of the maddening things about SM is how major technical questions like that are either red herrings that are instantly forgotten or serious r plot points
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:42 pm »

Based on the prologue we've seen so far, I think it's leading up to the Panuuri being the cause of the galactic mass extinctions.

Only evidence I have though is them being a suitably mysterious force, and the oafans being one of the species shown, and we know that they were hiding from the Panuuri. They're also shooting things with long guns, which tends to start wars.

I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 10:04:22 pm »

This strip is two nights old, but...  It's Earth, right?  Interesting twist.
(I remember the dino's from tonight's strip, but not whether they were explicitly from Earth.  It was a while ago, there's a lot to this comic.)

Related but maybe more interesting, I'm not sure what my opinion is about the ownership of the Oafan hulls.  I'm defaulting to the idea that the reincarnated Oafan presences do own them, much as the Toughs have apparently decided.  Which puts the Toughs in a... tough place, but I suppose that's what they get for leveraging such a find.

Even though there was no sign of remaining ownership, and they used them rather altruistically, meaning they're now left saddled with debt for doing the nice things.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2018, 10:28:09 pm »

Those are indeed dinosaurs from earth. Also from the first page of this book.

Implying that in this universe, the dinosaurs had a technologically advanced civilization which was wiped out by a giant spaceship passing by and changing the orbit of a few comets is certainly an interesting choice. On the one hand, it seems pretty damn fantastical compared to most things in the comic. On the other hand, it's... technically possible, and entertaining.

As for the Oafan hulls, I think that "being effectively dead for thousands and thousands of years" is a pretty good reason for losing property rights. But the Oafans do actually have access to all of those hulls now, and all the firepower associated with that. So you could say that the issue is A Function Of Firepower. ;P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4