Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash  (Read 4299 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Schlock Mercenary: Burn It All to Monatomic Ash
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:36:49 pm »

So, Chinook (formerly Tagii) has a new bio-avatar now, or at least partially biological, those arms don't look like they have ANY muscle in them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »

And also she's flying, but that could be a property of the garment. :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 05:11:45 am »

At this point I just realized the two most powerful beings in the Schlockiverse are both AIs that share a history of going insane.

Though I suppose that Petey is less likely to go insane now due to him actually being a Fleetmind than a single entity. Especially since the thing that originally did him in was a matter of computational power.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:15:49 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 05:17:43 am »

And then the comic ended with everyone going insane and killing each other, just like all the other, previous civilizations. :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 05:21:36 am »

I'm still holding out for everyone turning into orange amorphs and ascending to a higher state of being.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:23:12 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 03:35:57 pm »

It would be interesting if Amorph-brains turned out to be necessary, now that immortality is ubiquitous.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 02:11:30 pm »

So this is a thing that I've been reading daily since...uh...about 2002. By far my favorite webcomic.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 06:03:54 pm »

And then the comic ended with everyone going insane and killing each other, just like all the other, previous civilizations. :P

I don't think that Howard has the guts to follow his own foreshadowing and buck his standard Al's good plot lines.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 09:15:48 pm »

I liked today's (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-08) and yesterday's too.  Yesterday for the nice recap in the comment.  It's a nice reminder of how remarkable the Toughs are for surviving through so many ships :P

And today's was good, because Kevin is best scientist- well, hrm.
Keven is a great character I always love to see more of, despite there being so many good character to choose from.

I kinda like the Gavs too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:42 pm »

Naming a ship after a maxim is clever.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 11:54:30 pm »

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2017-01-01
Ooh here we go, the point where they call in the...
Sorta literally gods at this point.

To be honest, I'm not quite following the general thread, even when I'm stone sober. 
I get immortality.  I get the Toughs.  But... There are deliciously futuretech issues they're struggling with.  And I'm barely understanding, specifically, what those issues even are.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 12:56:45 am »

Basic issues that I can think of:
1. War with the Dark Matter Entities of Andromeda.  This is the most straightforward, but also probably the one the Toughs have the least ability to actually affect due to the sheer scales involved.  If nothing else, they're a small outfit best suited for "smash-and-grab" operations, even for all that they're operating a fleet now. 

2. Side-effects of immortality.  We already know of one past civilization that went for immortality (the creators of the amorphs), but ran into progressively greater limits that needed to be surpassed.  Not the least of these, and likely the first humanity will reach, is the limits of the organic human brain.  Even repurposing the skin and other organs at need only puts off the issue of a maximum capacity.  Said past civilization solved this in two ways.  The greater majority went for digital brain-uploading en masse, and wiped itself out in civil war.  The minority went for intentional senescence, and survived to the present day; one joined the Toughs, left as part of a deal to save their lives in order to join the human Laz'r'us project under Auntie Emm, and...ah, ended unhappily. 
Spoiler: Specifically... (click to show/hide)
The only other immortals we are aware of are the amorphs themselves and the Oafans, but the former bypassed most of those limits by being originally designed as memory storage units and by having a high mortality rate for other reasons, and the latter...we're not so sure, but given their mature status, they seem to have worked out the kinks and were more than willing to help the humans along as well.  I suspect that they'll do the same should any future issues arise due to human-specific biology as well, so this as a whole may not actually go any further...unless we run into an issue that both humans and Oafans can't fix...

3. The Great Filter.  This one's been hinted at here and there.  Heavy futuretech, but it's also something we know next to nothing about.  To wit, the only known species (the Oafa) to have crossed it is one that effectively killed itself off via brain uploading in the hope that at some distant future, they would be revived.  To say it's the Pa'anuri alone may well end up being too simplistic.  What we suspect to be a war was fought over what this species left behind, but I don't think entities made of dark matter would have particular interest in Oafan tech; that in turn suggests that this war was fought by regular baryonic life forms with motivation to plunder Oafan installations and the ability to throw stars around on a sufficient basis to consider it a military tactic.  Petey worries that the only candidate for such a thorough and effective extinction event is something like himself - to wit, the Fleetmind, but that's only hypothesis backed up only by very limited contact with a very unreliable...biological/cybernetic thingie termed an "archive". 

4. What the heck the aquatic Schuul are playing at.  This one's not futuretech at all, I suspect, but even nastier: political.  It's also barely come up since the Massively Parallel stories (where their agent was working on setting off civil unrest), but it's implied they were the hidden force Petey was working against in the reality show media attack and, if their tactics in Massively Parallel are sound, the recent threatened civil war as well (given the aquatic nature of the dreamscape that was stimulated by the nannies that subverted the police, Mako included, which we readers only know about because she threw it off and the human government, I believe, doesn't know about because she didn't even know about the possibility of a Schuul threat to recognize the significance before she died).  If the Schuul perceived humans as a threat before, imagine how worried they must be now that humans are both immortal and in possession of the technology and friendship with a precursor species that figuratively ate stars for spare parts.  They might just pull in their horns and hope for the best while there's no evidence or even rumour implicating them, but I wouldn't place any bets on that. 

5. ...there were other things, but my head hurts, it's late, and I forgot them.  Sorry. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 01:09:09 am »

@ 2: Vog isn't forgotten. There was a whole arc about him in the last book. (Big, Dumb Objects)

@ 4: At the end of Delegates and Delegation, the powers-that-be explicitly trace the attack back to the Shuul, and imply that they're going to go investigate that with some murder. Nothing about them has been seen since then, but that's supposedly just because the main characters are up to unrelated stuff.

TL;DR the characters know more about the situation than you think. :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 04:01:22 am »

@culise: There's also those multi limbed tree-goat guys (forget their species name). It's not known whether they are immortal, but they apparently are VERY long lived. They developed their own workaround to the maximum capacity thing by having their horns be write only storage (or something like that) and transferred memories into that. There's likely some other genetic engineering involved too.

Also, the Schuul are apparently supposed to be pathologically peaceful, but it's entirely possible that it could just be them putting on appearances.

The organic 'archive' thing seems like a distant cousin of the amorphs, though it has gone somewhat mad from all the memories and personalities absorbed.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 11:54:52 am »

@Culise
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4