Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...  (Read 27544 times)

Yawzheek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:14 pm »

I guess I would fall under, "lone programmer," despite being a bad one, sooooo...

But I'm definitely not 13-14. Not by a long shot.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:12 pm »

My friend says that all df players are 13 to 14 or lone programmers...I need to show him a proof "normal" people play this game...Any help?

My help is to suggest you find some better friends. That one sounds like they're maybe a friend, or at best, a -friend-. Find yourself a ☼friend☼.
Better than having a !!friend!!.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

8warden12

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2016, 11:43:06 pm »

Alright. I am a amateur c++ programmer who just turned 13 and is going to high school next year. Although I am a social outcast at school, I have 1 or 2 nerdy friends who are way more social than me. During my free time, I play DWARFFORTRESS, diepio, nationstates (I run a criminally psychotic dictatorship) nethack, and Town of Salem. I live in Vancouver, Canada, and I am a B+/A student

I am a huge fnaf fan

I play the clarinet in the school band

My favourite subject is math (spoiler: I'm asian)
My other favorite subject is Social Studies (because the teacher is awesome)
I could've liked science but the teacher was the crappy type (gives you a textbook to read, gives you an assignment, doesn't give feedback)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:54:47 pm by 8warden12 »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2016, 12:07:37 am »

My friend says that all df players are 13 to 14 or lone programmers...I need to show him a proof "normal" people play this game...Any help?

My help is to suggest you find some better friends. That one sounds like they're maybe a friend, or at best, a -friend-. Find yourself a ☼friend☼.
Better than having a !!friend!!.
Ehh, I would disagree with that. Nothing like a !!friend!! to liven up your life.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2016, 04:52:44 am »

Just because here is a lot of lone programmers in this thread...
That do you think about little tournament of Codewars-like game?(I made it with my friend)
Codewars was - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_War (for anyone who doesn't know)

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:30 pm »

This is the thing, the player base of dwarf fortress like any other hobby can consist of all sorts of varied individuals n groups, a casual glance, that lacked proper understanding will often create a stereotypical view.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:25 am »

I'm 14, going to secondary school, not a lone programmer (yet XD) and considered pretty normal by friends.

Also, being part of the DF community shows we have the intelligence to play one of the most complex game made, not like other people who are satisfied by any old FPS. Now, I do enjoy a fps sometimes, but how can people only play fps's? Sorry about this little rant.

The most important thing: You q a free person. So what you want. I am not responsible for any death, injury or similar caused by this statement.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2016, 05:38:40 am »

That do you think about little tournament of Codewars-like game?(I made it with my friend)
Codewars was - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_War (for anyone who doesn't know)
How Redcode-like? Actual MARS(-type) engine or a 'by hand' thing?  Point us to a games thread/other URL where whatever-form-it-is is being hosted/curated and I could dust off my rusty memories of my '90s involvement, if not any of my original creations or actual partial-competency in composing from scratch... ;)

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2016, 05:04:45 pm »

Define "normal".

I'm 32, divorced. Though I am programming/designing/writing a cRPG on my own, so I guess I fit the 'lone programmer' bit. Plus, as a machinist, I program CNC machines. I'm also a gear head, having rebuilt engines and done old-school body work with hammer and dolly in the past, as well as having painted a couple vehicles. I also play guitar, low down dirty blues on my own, and at church in the band.

I enjoy the emergent storytelling DF provides, and the UI is pretty simple to me, just cluttered. But I was gaming on the C64 before it was cool, and ADOM, Nethack, and the like are familiar territory to me.   

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2016, 05:52:35 am »

How Redcode-like? Actual MARS(-type) engine or a 'by hand' thing?  Point us to a games thread/other URL where whatever-form-it-is is being hosted/curated and I could dust off my rusty memories of my '90s involvement, if not any of my original creations or actual partial-competency in composing from scratch... ;)
It's only simulation of somethink like MARS, written on C++. So, then I debug last major bugs, I create a thread in Creative Projects on bay and made here a link.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:46 am »

I'm a married female in my 60s.  My male husband is in his 70s.  We were both chemists before we retired.  I play DF but my husband does not.  His vision isn't very good and he has trouble seeing the little letters.  He plays turn-based military strategy games (The Operational Art of War, for example), and sometimes real-time action games (Dungeon Siege, for example).  We use gaming rigs from Alienware.  We just bought a PS4 and are awaiting delivery of Diablo 3.  We played the original game together and are hoping we can play this one with more enjoyment.  Playing the original on our home network led to some nasty situations due to lag, as in I used to fill him with arrows and he used to electrocute me.  But we are willing to try again.  *grin*

He has two living children, six living grandchildren, and one great-grandchild on the way.  We have two cats, who rule the house, as it should be.  We live far enough away from all of both of our families that our time is our own.

We can both program, although it has been a decade or more since I programmed for a living.  We don't program anymore because we are too lazy.

So are we normal?  Probably not, but who cares?

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2016, 12:15:39 pm »

30 years father here. I have also four old Dogs. I'm afraid I can't program a single line. Livin in Europa. Does that count as normal?

I'm a married female in my 60s.  My male husband is in his 70s.  We were both chemists before we retired.  I play DF but my husband does not.  His vision isn't very good and he has trouble seeing the little letters.  He plays turn-based military strategy games (The Operational Art of War, for example), and sometimes real-time action games (Dungeon Siege, for example).  We use gaming rigs from Alienware.  We just bought a PS4 and are awaiting delivery of Diablo 3.  We played the original game together and are hoping we can play this one with more enjoyment.  Playing the original on our home network led to some nasty situations due to lag, as in I used to fill him with arrows and he used to electrocute me.  But we are willing to try again.  *grin*

He has two living children, six living grandchildren, and one great-grandchild on the way.  We have two cats, who rule the house, as it should be.  We live far enough away from all of both of our families that our time is our own.

We can both program, although it has been a decade or more since I programmed for a living.  We don't program anymore because we are too lazy.

Wow. What a lovely post. Thanks for brighten my day!
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »

Wow. What a lovely post. Thanks for brighten my day!

My day too has been brightened by this
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:50:00 pm by DMT »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2016, 12:25:08 am »

This thread is very uplifting. I love hearing about the people in this community. :D
...Although part of me also wishes the OP or his friend would respond too! :P
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11