Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's create a Post-Apocalyptic Setting!  (Read 3352 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a Post-Apocalyptic Setting!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 09:31:25 am »

A: 200 years.
Q: What is the state of religion is the former USA?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 12:09:18 pm »

A: Atheism. So many of the people in America lost their faith after something as natural as a Solar Flare destroyed everything. Some people kept their faith, but the majority either saw it as God's non existence, or that if God existed, He must have caused it.

Q: What is the political scene in America, and is there even anything left to support a government?
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »

A:The Federal government still controls an area along the east coast, centered on Washington D.C., and a few other small "nations" still exist elsewhere in the country, but most of the nation is a no-man's land, with a large number of fortified city-states that control a small area around themselves.

Q: What is the state of Australia?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 12:01:26 am »

Q: What is the state of Australia?

Australia is ruled over by a council of elders elected from the giant mutant intelligent spider overlords.  Humans and mutants get a vote, but only the spiders can be elected.  Only the south western coast is really civilized, the rest is made up of loose vassals of the spiders little better then independent warlords.  Australia has little contact with the outside world.

What other side effects did the solar flare have besides mutations?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 12:43:51 am »

A: Auroras are now visible from every point in the world. Furthermore, this solar flare was seemingly non-mundane, possessing odd attributes such as the aforementioned mutations.
Q: What is the most populous area on Earth?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 12:59:53 am »

A: It depends. If you mean the highest amount of Humans, then the East Coast of America is where you'll find a large amount. If you mean Mutants, there are large populations spread across Europe, though the largest single community is in present day Russia. If you mean a mixed Human-Mutant grouping, then it's tied between Africa, Australia, and certain parts of present day Middle East, Germany, and the Easternmost part of China.

Q: Are there any legendary Survivors from these societies? Anyone who has gained notoriety, and is pretty well known?
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 01:13:34 am »

A: In the two centuries since the solar flare, there have been many legends made and many heroes that populate these legends. Amongst these include Lord Jiu Zhu, the founder of the 3rd Han Dynasty in Guangdong; Jonathan Barn, who taught the people of the USA's East Coast efficient desalination techniques; Abbas The Rightly Guided, he who has brought electricity and a modicum of the Ancient Times back to Egypt; Wiradjuri, the First Prophet of the Spiders in Australia; Lady Maria, who created a mutant-free republic in Portugual; Pope Joseph, who currently leads the remaining Vatican and is supreme overlord over much of the Mediterranean; Augusta Of Cebu, who reunited many of the Philippine islands, and yet many many more.

Q: What are the politics of Mexico?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 08:46:04 am »

A: Weird stuff is happening in Mexico. Shortly after the flare, the mexican government dismantled due to raging gangs, bandidos, as well as an Indigenous freedom movement. Mutations struck especially severe in the Northern Deserts. A giant turtle was born with infinite lifespan in these deserts. Zurcolax the Turtle was recognized by people as a sign. Zurcolax has mind-control abilities and controls most of the Mexican area through various gang-leaders, who have control of various 21st century factory sites.

Q: What did the First Prophet of the Spiders do to achieve legendary status?

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 11:36:51 am »

A: He gathered a large group of spiders and humans to fight back the human warlords that held the country in their chaotic grip. After that, he founded the current political system where humans and spiders live together in peace, though the spiders are the political leaders (with the reason that the spiders think human personalities are too diverse and unpredictable for them to be allowed to hold any power ever again).

Q: Are there any intelligent races besides mankind and spiderkind?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 11:53:00 am »

A: Octopuses, Dolphins and inexplicably, certain species of elk.
Q: What is the single most important event that has occurred in Florida since the Flare?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 03:05:49 pm »

A: After the Flare, some underground complex west of Jacksonville, designed to store highly toxic chemicals, was left without electricity. The workers also left for their families, and nobody was there anymore to take care of the complex. At some point, an explosion of unknown origin devastated the whole network of tunnels and rooms and set free a mixture of deadly chemicals.
Now the "Toxic Desert" spreads from coast to coast. Whoever enters it faces either death, or heavy, unpredicatble, mutations, turning them into a nightmare, cursed to wander the desert, not longer capable of coherent thought.
The people in the southern regions of Florida were cut off from everything. The waters were filled with dangerous mutants, and nobody ever passed the dessert, making it impossible to get help.
90 years later, when the barely surviving community was about to lose hope to ever be able to leave their prison, there was a sight on the horizon that made thousands of hearts jump. Ships were arriving. A fleet of seven old cruise ships, big an mighty, finally decided to contact the land-dwellers. They had made themselves at home on the giant ships, living on the ocean for generations now. They brought supplies with them and finally a way for the tribes of Miami to communicate with the outside world.
It was pure luck that they chose Miami as their first contact, and since then, 110 years ago, the day is celebrated yearly in each of the mighty city states of New Florida.

Q: Who is "The Seeker"?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:07:34 pm by Asgarus »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 03:05:55 am »

Q: Who is "The Seeker"?

The Seeker was the only still functioning communications satellite which was on the wrong side of the planet, shielded by the moon and just really lucky to not be hit by the flare.  While designed to last only 25 years it lasted much longer, although it has gone silent now.  While it functioned many communities could communicate long distances for periods during the day, although it's normal geosynchronous orbit had been altered so it was not a regular occurrence.

Several important radio shows were broadcast and rebroadcast to various communities, allowing some measure of international communication and culture, even if it was for short periods of time.  A glimpse of the old world was still possible through The Seeker and knowledge that mankind had once cast themselves out into the void.

When the satellite finally went silent many communities took to having dedicated people continue the tradition, traveling from settlement to settlement, bringing news and stories, welcome everywhere for the knowledge and entertainment.  These are The Seeker, many voices with a singular purpose, to connect humanity.

Q: What are some common low and high tech weapons?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 03:30:49 am »

A: Low Tech is typically melee weapons. From Baseball Bats, to Shivs and Knives, to the odd Fire Axe or two. Low Tech also encompasses Guns, but due to scavenging and the factories going down shortly after the Solar Flare, bullets and spare parts for firearms are scarce, and are typically used for currency. Higher Tech is only used by the United Eastern Front (the East Coast of America), and anyone that faction trades with, such as a group of Humans in a large city in present day Quebec. This field encompasses Magnetic Weapons, like the Railgun, and some experimental Plasma weapons that were being researched and developed before the Flare hit. The United Eastern Front still develops these weapons, but how, and in what capacity is unknown.

Q: Now that I've given a name to the Washington D.C. based government, are there any other large factions that are in the size of the U.E.F? How about smaller factions?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 10:59:20 am »

Q: In the whole of the world, there are four factions that can be compared to the UEF in prosperity, size or innovation. While nowhere near their technological prowess, these empires have performed admirably at restoring a modicum of ancient times.

1. China: The 3rd Han Dynasty of Guangdong has grown from a small ragtag group of survivors into a growing empire that is seemingly unshackled by its past. Instead of trying to restore the glory that was Old China, the new regime seeks to reignite even older memories, as seen in their taking of the Han name as well as old dynastic trappings. Of course, whereas previous dynasties could rely on the fact that China had a huge population, the new China instead relies on using automation and careful planning to get as much efficiency as they can with their population. While a Chinese expedition or colony might only be 500-2000 strong, each and every individual carries with them all kinds of tools and machinery that makes their job ever so much easier. In fact, this China is one of the first Eurasian factions to have successfully restored electricity. This said, a somewhat fluid caste-system has been implemented, with purer humans naturally on the top, although the Imperial Exams does allow some form of social mobility.
2. Confederation of Cascadia: The vast lands of Cascadia is a country dominated by the aristocratic landowners who own vast portions of the country. Like many other factions, Cascadia is a farcry from the UEF but this is not to say they are unaware of what technologies they could eventually possess. It is only the conservative outlook of the so-called 'Barons Wyoming' (Wyoming being the birthplace of what would become Cascadia) and the lesser lords that prevent Cascadia from developing its technological knowledge. After all, with their surrounding neighbours being of equal tech or even less, The lords are content with having numerical superiority and far greater morale for unlike their neighbours, Cascadia believes itself heir to the long-dead nations of the United States of America and Canada. Cascadia, despite being de facto atheist or agnostic, is suffering a spiritual awakening in the form of Neo-Miithraism, which has spread throughout many of the elites. Secondary cults, those devoted to 'saints' and relatives of Mithra are increasingly becoming popular amongst the lower classes. The Lords Wyoming for the most part, has opposed this spiritual awakening, attempting to curb it in favour of their own legalistic ideology.
3. The Brazillian Directorate: The Directorate owes its current power almost entirely to the huge hydroelectric dams and the electricity that powers much of the state. Indeed, the Directorate very rarely annexes its neighbours through force, instead offering them goods and services, which eventually results in the smaller faction becoming annexed into the Directorate. Despite its name, the Directorate is in fact a hereditary monarchy, with all six monarchs being descended from their founder, the man who fixed the first Great Dam. The current Director is a strong-headed youth who desires all of The Americas under her rule. If one were to walk into a Directorate city, one would be hard pressed to find it all that different from what would be expected in the Brazil of 200 years ago.

Smaller factions tend to be either isolationist (i.e Quebec), low-tech (i.e The Papal State), unorganised (i.e The Great Plains, uninhabited (New York) or too busy with other matters to become large and powerful (i.e. Egypt).

Q: Why is New York uninhabited?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:16 am »

A: After the Solar Flare, much of the Ocean was evaporated, creating an enormous, omnipresent rain-cloud above most of the coast. New York, already ravaged by starvation, banditry, and cannibalism, was unable to survive the constant Flooding. Many fled deeper inland, or into the desert sea, but the vast majority died horribly. The Cloud remained for nearly a decade, Flooding much of the World constantly in an event known as the Great Deluge. After the Great Deluge, the Cloud dissipated, and the Ocean mostly returned to normal, with the differences that the sea level is nearly 300 feet lower, and there are many lakes, ponds, and even a few inland seas that didn't exist before.

Q: How much Pre-Apocalypse Infrastructure is left, and in what capacity is it used? For example, modified oil-refineries, decimated roads, and so on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4