Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair  (Read 8717 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 11:52:10 pm »

Well, yes, if you farm armor to arbitrarily high levels.  :P

Just farmed a bunch on Inferno with some random guys I met, got a Gungnir drop for my Wing Diver on the second run.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2016, 01:11:23 pm »

Gonna be on all weekend if anyone wants to message me on Steam, I'm up for farming, completion, just tooling around, whatever.

Speaking of Steam, if you're getting insta-kicked from co-op rooms, it's because your Steam name is too long for the game to display.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »

So anyone playing?  I caved.  I don't regret it.  This is like classic PS1 'stupid fun' but it's modern PC/Xbox level graphics and smoothness.  It's a very rewarding experience.  I'm rolling 'superheavy tank mode' and it's pretty great.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2016, 02:47:27 pm »

Yep. Still on, grinding armor for my Fencer so that I can grind weapons in co-op.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2016, 03:51:25 pm »

Yep. Still on, grinding armor for my Fencer so that I can grind weapons in co-op.
I just hopped into a room with pro players by accident.  Got like 24 new weapons at once.  Would recommend.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2016, 04:39:37 pm »

Mm, if you find someone farming 81 or 91 on Inferno that isn't a douche + is using an effective approach it's an easy way to fast-track your way to good weapons. I made a couple friends that way, so I've got reliable people to farm with. A lot of jokers out there will kick you if you have low armor, or will be using some moronic setup and continually getting wiped.

Like, all you need for 91 is a Ranger with twin Lysander Zs (or Fs but they take longer to kill the ship when you burn it to dialogue flags) and one other person with a good weapon to pick off leakers. You can reliably clean most of every spawn group before they hit the ground if you have your duo-Lysander rotation down. That leaves plenty of room for two other people to farm up on classes that aren't geared yet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:14:23 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 05:22:58 pm »

Soo many amazing...ly useless weapons in this game :P

Though for some of the most useless weapons I love it... because if you read the description it will usually say that this is a prototype without them really understanding the mechanics.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »

Interestingly, there are also quite a few which are very, very good for a handful of missions, but almost entirely useless outside of those. Take the Brute variant with dual heavy "frame" guns--it's a helicopter with a pair of player-manned flamethrower turrets. Complete trash for almost every situation, completely broken for farming Crimson because you can hover a couple meters above the ground and kill everything with no risk. Or the Gungnir: 150,000 damage with a range longer than the draw distance, but firing it leaves you helpless for ages because it requires 720% energy.

It becomes even better when you're playing in level-capped multiplayer, so you can't just pull your strongest stuff and steamroll--instead you have to figure out what's best for the mission you're about to do. That remains the case even at high levels; on Ranger you'll sometimes want a double Lysander build, but on Machine Squad you want to take Lysander F/Z + Stringer J9 and use the rotation to reload the Stringer for that higher burst damage, and on certain (mostly the underground ones) you'll want a level-appropriate Slug Shot or Governor because there's not enough room to retreat and too many corpses to get reliable shots out.

That, and how things change over time. Early on, especially in Inferno, explosives are god because of all the AoE. Lategame Inferno, though, everyone will hate you if you spam explosives because most people are using sniper rifles, railguns, &c. that can one-shot with little chance of friendly fire, and targets being flung all over makes it take longer to kill them.

It's honestly admirable, the more I play this, how well-designed so much of it was. Almost everything has a use on some mission/difficulty combination, and the few that don't are low-level and obviously a little jokey. Like most of the spread Ixions: they're trash in Inferno because of the damage, but on Easy/Normal/Hard they are great for stunlocking and killing whole crowds of land-based enemies. And the SIG and lower-level continuous beam snipers, even if they don't do enough damage, they have infinite stunlock and double as targeting indicators for your teammates and an easy way to clear line-of-sight by chopping down trees/fences/&c. quickly.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2016, 06:36:44 pm »

Anyone have experience driving the motorcycles?  When I tried, they would spin to the right permanently, even with holding 'left' they would drag so much they spun right.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 09:37:26 pm »

I'm extremely confident the motorcycles are absolutely useless. The first one is bad, wait until you get the higher level "Type R" that goes far faster... or in practice, does a wheelie, spins into a building and explodes from collision damage alone. The high level APCs with cannons seem really neat but also are impossible to drive in a straight line.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2016, 09:54:53 pm »

Mm, some of the vehicles seem to move from "slow as molasses, needs twenty meters to turn around" to "like a greased nudist on freshly-cleaned tiles" with little middle ground.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:54 am »

Helicopters fly like boats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2016, 11:07:22 pm »

The first mission pack just dropped. 26 new ones--a few duds, a good number of balls-hard ones. It's 20% off (about $9US total at that rate) until the 15th.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2016, 09:59:07 am »

Isn't it also 14 re-released missions from 2025?  40 missions total?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2016, 12:31:34 pm »

It might be. I haven't played through to check yet. That or it's fourteen re-releases plus twelve new ones. Pretty sure that people have already confirmed that there's new non-2025 content within the missions, including some enemy types.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5