Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair  (Read 8716 times)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 01:54:39 am »

Speaking of, anyone want to try to coordinate a time to get into a room together?
Go to the bay12 discord. Rift and some of the others will tend to be there. https://discordapp.com/invite/0tqSLzt5P0lxBxqC

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 03:03:38 am »

Yea, me and another bay12er (atoms) have been playing together using that discord. I'd be happy to play with you assuming were both there at the same time. I tend to be around during the 7am-2pm EDT time periods sun-to-thursdays, Fri/Sat i am often around but its a bit more in flux. if i'm not on discord at the time you can add me on steam and message me too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »

Cool, I'll hop on next time.

On an unrelated note, after putting more time in, I'm seeing a lot of really good design decisions, which just underlines the impression of the series as being well-made under the skin.

1. The weapon switch & reload system. So much about this is good. The ability to interrupt and continue reload cycles (and to dual-reload by spinning the scroll wheel). The slight delay before swapping, which helps discourage lazy reactive swaps. Firing cooldowns still decreasing even when the other weapon is out; the thing that allows the fire-swap-fire cycle trick with stuff like Lysanders.

One specific example is how the multi-shot launchers interact with the Ranger's roll--namely, the roll interrupts the firing sequence, but one last rocket is fired into the ground, ragdolling and damaging the player. However, no more are fired until you stand back up, at which point the remaining rockets fire. That suggests a specific intent behind the design of the system to punish the player for poor decision-making without being totally unfair and insta-gibbing them with all of the remaining rockets.

2. Difficulty levels and allies.

There are a lot of clear inspirations in the content, but in terms of the design the closest comparison I can draw is with Soulsborne games (at least on the harder difficulty levels). It has the same sort of progression in which there are clear safe points and failure any time between them means losing everything material that you've gained. This serves the same purpose of encouraging players to, in the vernacular, git gud; the most important gains are experiential. You start to learn where all the enemies come from, which weapons are good against what, how much damage each can take to die (on any given difficulty), &c. Likewise, that element of the game creates the potential for farmable sequences, which help prevent the player from getting stuck.

The higher the difficulty, the more the value of friendly characters becomes apparent: namely, they allow you to fight in ways other than a constant fire-and-retreat cycle. A player tends to first learn this when they kill (or allow the enemy AI to kill) all of their NPC allies and then get swarmed under. Likewise, the game becomes radically easier when you have multiple players, not just because of revives, but because you can split attention or stagger your reloads. It's also why the Ranger's special ability is so powerful--in a void, the ability to heal your useless NPC cannonfodder by grabbing health sounds like it would be actively detrimental, but it's actually the sole way to prolong the duration of one of your most powerful resources, especially on higher difficulty levels when you have to danger-close them with high-powered explosives.

The nature of the difficulty also closely resembles the Soulsborne games in the sense that, while even a single trash enemy can hypothetically kill you quite easily (on Hardest or Inferno), in practical terms an experienced player can easily handle any single enemy, however powerful; the real danger is in swarms, even of the worst enemy types, because combat is oriented around the reload cycles which don't mesh well with a constant onslaught of massive numbers of targets. The very first mission is actually a quite clever git gud moment, since it's the only one where grey ants don't have their acid attack, so they all swarm and go for the bite--very, very dangerous on Inferno or Hardest if you don't have a weapon good enough to one-shot them at a rapid pace, and even somewhat if you do; as above, it also helps clever players realize early on the value of having allies on the field.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 02:12:33 am »

Man I want to get this game... but I hear it is only REALLY fun with friends

But uhhh... I don't have any (Please... hold back your shock) at least for this game.

>_< might need to make some.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 02:49:37 am »

Well, depending on your timezone, you could join me and my friends. There's three of us, so we have a free spot :) Do note that you'll have to endure incessant singing of the EDF songs. To save our mother earth from any alien attack..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 02:54:09 am »

Well, depending on your timezone, you could join me and my friends. There's three of us, so we have a free spot :) Do note that you'll have to endure incessant singing of the EDF songs. To save our mother earth from any alien attack..

Eastern Standard Time (The one in Canada)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2016, 03:40:46 am »

I am quite intrigued with this game.

Just not $50 intrigued.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 03:46:02 am »

Eastern Standard Time (The one in Canada)

GMT +2 here, which means our times probably won't align that well. We usually play around 8PM or 9 PM until 12 PM, so that would be 2PM - 6PM for you. Steam ID is Shadowgandor in case you want to try it anyway :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 04:30:20 am »

I tried but your not Shadowgandor, at least I can't... seem to find you in anyway.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 04:34:29 am »

My bad. Apparently, if you change your nickname, the steam handle gets changed as well? I dunno. Try General Failure then. This is me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989381819

It has a reason I've named myself General Failure. :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:58:04 am by Shadowgandor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:44 am »

Sent

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 08:22:53 am »

I am quite intrigued with this game.

Just not $50 intrigued.
Incidentally speaking, for some reason the Russian version (without Russian language, lel) costs about $13. Talk about a large regional discount, that. Shame I don't really play these kinds of games any longer...
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 01:46:20 pm »

Man I want to get this game... but I hear it is only REALLY fun with friends

But uhhh... I don't have any (Please... hold back your shock) at least for this game.

>_< might need to make some.
Singleplayer's fun if you enjoy bastard-hard old games. I'm convinced that there are some missions which are functionally impossible to beat on solo Inferno.

Multiplayer's not bad either. The host can set an option to disable voice chat as one option, but my general experience has been positive even though I was always playing with total randoms. Usually I just drop into a Hardest/Inferno lobby with two or three people already there and have a blast. No problems with connectivity, except for one time where I joined a room hosted by some guy who was apparently in Japan.

Though the revive mechanic is one point where the design could have been better. It costs health to revive another player, which makes sense from a mechanical perspective, but also can incentivize leaving less-competent players to lie around if they keep fucking up. Despite that, however, I've yet to hear anyone explicitly say something along those lines, and going a long time without a revive is usually because your body is stuck in a mob of enemies and the survivor(s) are fighting desperately to survive.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »

There's certainly been several points where I've told my comrades not to try and revive me because I was, say, playing Air Raider versus red ants and it was likely that I would just get picked up and die immediately after being revived because I had no way to defend myself.

Though, to be fair, we were playing a mission on a higher difficulty level when we didn't really have the armor or equipment to be able to beat it properly, so we were a bit out of our league.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:11 pm »

I'm convinced that there are some missions which are functionally impossible to beat on solo Inferno.
It can be very hard, and require some very unconventional strategies (and a lot of armor farming), but every mission is beatable on Inferno (this is the un-updated version, but they're very similar to each other).
._.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5