Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair  (Read 8722 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 12:12:25 pm »

Don't even give a shit, I just dropped $50 for it, this is better than most AAA titles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 01:29:48 pm »

For the record, this is what you're missing out on if you skip it.

I started the first mission on Hard, the third of five difficulties. This was the second group of enemies.

3. Run Resize Enable

icyoctopus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 01:47:38 pm »

For the record, this is what you're missing out on if you skip it.

I started the first mission on Hard, the third of five difficulties. This was the second group of enemies.

Pretty sure that enemy numbers are same across difficulties, what changes is their damage, health, and attack frequency, but it's worth playing on hard at least since you get way better weapons.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »

Enemy speed also changes.

It's also worth noting that while the weapons you get do change, the number of drops you get from each mission generally don't, and armor pickups are the same no matter what difficulty you're on. If you're having trouble with dying too fast, it's not a bad idea to farm armor on easier levels until you can take a hit. Given that health drops heal based on percentage of maximum health and not a set amount of armor, this can make you way more survivable in general.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 03:15:17 pm »

Pretty sure that enemy numbers are same across difficulties, what changes is their damage, health, and attack frequency, but it's worth playing on hard at least since you get way better weapons.
Yep, figured that out when I swapped down to normal for some progression. Going to go back and play higher difficulty once I have a bit of kit.

I mean god damn, this is a wonderful game. It's like playing a 40K shooter if 40K was a B-movie.

And then that moment, since I'm new to the series, where you realize that it's not just Them, it's also Independence Day.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shit. This is competing with DaS3 for best game of the year IMO.

e: The menu system is very Japanese aesthetically. And the weapon/armor upgrade system is intuitive and fairly deep, considering the nature of the game. The only real issue I have with it is that you can still pick up health packs even if you're not hurt.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:53:48 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 06:06:33 pm »

As mindless shooters go, the EDF series is one of the best. Before you write it off as an overly expensive b-grade game, watch a bit of footage on youtube/twitch.

It's the AAA+ of blasting the crap out of huge stuff, low poly or not.

Single player, it's pretty epic. Multiplayer, it's friggen awesome.

Haven't played since the console releases, but as soon as I upgrade my PC, I'll get a copy. It's the relaxing form of epic shooter that I enjoy. Lots of stuff to kill, no twitch reflexes needed, hammy plot (reminds me of Freedom Force in its style), with weapons and enemies that make your balls pucker slightly.

It's kind of like playing DoW:UA against the AI with friends for fun. You can grind it out if you want, or do quick hit and runs, or just build up to titans and unleash hell. It's that sort of "satisfying", and about the same body count and explosive power in effect. Except that you start with awesome stuff, and it gets mega-awesome from there. And that you're one lone trooper fighting off the titans, really damn successfully, while levelling the city around them.

It's a power-trip. And it's quite therapeutic.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:24:22 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 06:47:17 pm »

Holy shit. You can pilot Giant Robots. Giant Robots that punch Giant Monsters!

Here's a the Giant Bomb Quick Look for the game
Vid

Edit:"Let's laser chainsaw the fuck out of these Dragons."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:50:23 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »

Yes I did see a video or two and I liked what I saw, but I still have trouble bringing myself to spend full price on it. Even with such amazing lines as "Progress faster than science is impossible!" I was legitimately laughing for two minutes straight just because of that line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not skipping it outright, I'm just waiting for a more favorable price tag, which should also mean my friends may be willing to pick it up as well (and hopefully actually play it). If they had already bought it I'd maybe be more willing to get it now.

So there's tanks in this game that you can actually drive right? Are they at all viable? Or do you just skip tanks in favor of giant mecha?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 08:53:37 pm »

I mean, you could get a tank (I'm not sure if you can get the three story tall one that shoots giant energy blobs, ace if you can), but you could also get a giant punchy robot.

That fucking thing. Twenty 1000-damage grenades on ten second fuses that act like super bouncy-balls. I think I managed to kill myself more with that in half an hour than I died through the rest of my play time to all other causes. You run out of friendly forces fast, but you don't really need them when you've got a perpetual orbital strike in your pocket. That mission takes place during the middle of the day, by the by; the black sky is solely due to the oversaturation caused by the explosions.

e: Also, I'm not sure what tune the Japanese version of the EDF song follows (maybe Snow March? I only heard a brief snippet of it), but I'm pretty certain that the English one is supposed to be sung with the same cadence and such as the Battle Hymn of the Republic. If I'm right, points to the localization team.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:10:09 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »

Thats a ranger nade? cooleo.
I've been playing Wing diver singleplayer and Air raider Multiplayer.
The non-starter vehicles are amazingly fun (the starter ones being a tank and apc, which are fun, but havent reached the necessarily levels of insanity yet). My favorite so far (ive only unlocked the early stuff like weapon level 7 and under) is the Depth crawler which is basically a spider tank.
..I can leap around through the skyyyyyyy and climb buidlingsssss and even go upside downnnnnn in tunnels/things i can fit under.
Nothing like standing on a flag pole with a spider tank fireing down on my enemies then exiting to stand on the roof and call down cruise missiles on the enemies....  The cruise missiles even fall half the time like you'd expect the EDF to make them.. (Big explosion, shoty guidance often just falling from teh sky at the wrong angle like nose-up).
The helicopter controls seem bad to the point of absurdity, but its not like you take damage for crashing anyway :D EDF EDF EDF.
Also rangers/fellow air-raiders can use vechicles in general so other friends can use vechicles (although only the apc-types allows wing divers/Fencer passengers.) Apparently theres a giant mecha that requires like 4 people to operate, i'm pretty far away from getting such a thing though.
Multilplayer with people over discord (or skype/teamspeak equiv.) is a blast. with randoms very few seem to talk and its pretty shitty voice-mic-code (most people seem quiet, and its always on), but its still likely better then singleplayer (which is still good).
On the other hand, if you acquire some troops (by walking up to troops who dont have a commander/saving them {red triangle over their head}). You can sing the various EDF songs with them (and break out in dance/do pushups etc... or just start a large chant of EDF EDF EDF)
But yea, so far this is uh... the best game of 2016 for me.  Like a drug, causes happiness in people that play it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:29:18 pm by Rift »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 12:52:52 am »

Some vehicles like the Titan, some helicopters have gunner spots which can be operated by any class. The mobile fortresses can also be used by anyone, which makes certain levels (27) really easily farmable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:02 am »

Air Raider eventually gets the *Naigull*or something*can't*remember* Multiple Rocket Tank. This fires 12-18 or so lock-on missiles at whatever the hell you're pointing in the general direction of, with pretty quick locks. It has 90 missiles, and brings down drecoys(? enemy Mars walkers) in one volley at high levels (80+) in inferno difficulty, mission 81. It's like Macross levels of missile-spam, and is therefore awesome.

You'll have suitably awesome shields by then as well.

There's plenty of good weapons in this game.

Apparently the Volcano Grenade Launcher is pretty handy for tunnel missions as well for Rangers. I thought rockets were the "best flashlight", but the streamer happily corrected me on this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:20:04 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 03:47:09 am »

The fun thing about the vehicles is that as you level them up (with certain exceptions like specialized vehicles) they become notably more controllable. The Gigantus, much as it is a very generic weapon, is nevertheless quite fun to drive once you get to the J2 and above, and you can pull off a few cool stunts with it like drifting. I haven't gotten any of them yet, but I've heard even the helicopters end up being not awful to fly by the time you make it to their top tier models.
Nothing important here, move along.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »

I usually hate overly Japanese games like this, but this particular one is actually kinda awesome. I don't play multiplayer, so I don't use air controllers much (damn tanks run out of ammo at the worst times, and you don't really have any good "oh shit" weapons), but wing divers are a blast.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 06:20:32 pm »

Speaking of, anyone want to try to coordinate a time to get into a room together?

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5