Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: END  (Read 6291 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: END
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:17:38 pm »

Highmax's Silver Caratlocke Lost

Oh boy another one...

Explanation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules:

Optional Rules (See extra for more info):

Score Table:

Link to Caratlocke Page:

Extras:

Score: 50

On hand Team (as of most recent post):

Boxed (as of most recent post):

Dead:

Links to posts:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:37:54 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: Begining the Madness
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:29 am »

Part 1: Begining the Madness: Choosing the Starter

Alright, here we go! Feeling good about this.

Oak... Did you seriously forget my name already? Its in the thread title!

Fine... Just zap me down to size and lets get this started...

Well, I forgot what this looked like... Even though its the same thing every time you play... To be fair, I haven't played this one in about three years, and even then, I didn't remember the radio...

What's playing anyway?

Anyway, lets get on with thi-

Oh... Right... Gotta go through Mom's speech on how to use a phone (I'm not even joking. No matter what, she tells you how to do it even if you say you do or don't). Oh, and also to set DST and the day of the week (why didn't professor oak just suffer amnesia and ask us the day?)

Just gonna ignore the creepy redhead trying to break in to the lab...

... And get our starter! Sadly, I don't get points for this... Oh, and first things first, we gotta go help Elm go get that egg or whatever it was from that weird guy who hangs out with professors apparently. NOW we get to set the ball rolling:

And now FOR THE MOMENT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR! THE RANDOM ROLL OF STARTER POKEMON! I will be rolling a six sided die to determine this.

AND WE START WITH... 4! HELL YEAH, CINDAQUIL (this is my favorite starter because it evolves into my favorite pokemon, typhlosion). And no, I didn't cheat because I thought I was getting totodile and looked bakc and saw that 4 got you fire starter.

And what to name this lovely thing? How about we name this little thing after a character that in some lore, is known as a god of fire...

Alright, now I got this, I'm gonna go ahead and play on ahead without posting for a bit to get to the interesting parts.

Score: 10

(Note to self, make the images smaller so I don't have to spoiler everything next time...)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:33:15 am by highmax28 »

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: Beginning the Madness
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:29:56 am »

Part 2: !!GREAT!! Start - First Pokemon

So in roughly 10 minutes, I beat up some pokemon, got some berries, got an egg and slapped in the face with a pokedex and then things start to get intersting.

First battle with a trainer. Lets go- oh, its already over (that's what happens when you have a pokemon thats level 9 fight a level 5). I didn't even get another level off of that fight! For an edgelord, you really do suck...

Wow. Even moreso. I bet he plays games like Hatred or whatever the edgy game thats out now is... This guy was so easy to take down, I don't even NEED healing, I'm just gonna walk right through and- oh, I got healed anyway? Did him pushing me fill Loki with determination to kick his butt? Probably not...

Make it to the lab, and the edgelord stole his pokemon. Not surprised....

Asked my buddy to use his name for this run and he agreed. Sadly, can't use his username or it would probably offend people... And I can't fit "Revolver Jew" into the space provided, so you're stuck with an edgelord with the least intimidating na- oh...

... I'm gonna get shot at by Star Wars fans now, aren't I? Anyway, police leave and we throw the egg at the professor so hard he flies across the room.

And then he rambles on about how the rest of the game will go-

LEAVE MY MOTHER OUT OF THIS! I AM A STRONG, INDEPENDENT 10 YEAR OLD WHO DON'T NEED NO MOMMA! SEE YA!

... After your buddy gives me the tools to start this off, of course. NOW we can kick this Caratlocke into overdrive! LETS START THIS OFF RIGHT! And tell the tutorial guy we totally know how to catch pokemon and get our first pokemon!

It could be worse, but personally, raticate is awesome... Assuming he lives that long... I have a bad track record with these thing-

... DAMNIT LOKI! Ugh... Wonderful start... This is gonna be one of THOSE nuzlockes, isn't it? Well... Lets try this again

And our winner is...

... I did not know I could get those here. Whats the percentage of finding them? 5%!?!?! WOW. I'm lucky.

And I even catch it too! Let's name it after Freddie Mercury. A male jigglypuff who sings? Perfect! Wait, wasan't there a thing with jigglypuff that it can't- OH GOD DAMNIT!

And I just realized too, if I remember correctly that... We don't get moon stones until after the elite 4...

So it really is gonna be one of those nuzlockes...

Score: 12

(POST-POST NOTE: Gonna do one of these every post for fun now. I also swear that Freddie is laughing at me with that sprite pose...)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:02:52 am by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: !!GREAT!! Start
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 02:29:16 am »

Well, since I got a lot of grinding to do (gotta get Freddie to level 9...), I might as well go get some stuff while I'm in the next town. Thankfully, no old man shoes in this version... Since I'll be unable to recover in battle, I'll get 1 potion, 1 antidote, and 3 pokeballs... Cause if this nuzlocke is telling me anything, its my luck is gonna be hilariously bad... And you know what? Lets get another rookie on the team! Next route! And the next pokemon we find is... A Hoothoot! Freddie being first does what he does best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_1QSUsbsM

And good news! Loki doesn't brutally murder her! What do we name her? Well... Let's make another music reference and call her... Alice? The eye thing is kinda giving me the heavy makeup vibe... Yeah, Alice Cooper reference is good.

Ok, time to do some grinding...

<Thirty minutes pass>

FINALLY, FREDDIE LEVELED UP! Only 3 more levels to go... I feel bad for nuzlockers with the same luck as me...

At least when you can attack, you got some half decent power behind it... I'll leave you guys off for now as I do this task. Hopefully, knock on wood, nothing bad happens.

Score: 14[/size]

(I swear, Freddie is gonna be a pain through this entire Nuzlocke...)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:00:44 am by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: Getting Somewhere
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:10:23 am »

Part 3: Getting Somewhere

Well, grinded a bit, managed to take out the trainers here (I don't remember them being so low level...), but sadly, Freddie still can't do anything useful other than make the enemy fall asleep which gives the next guy in line a few free hits before they get a chance to hurt them. Which is nice, actually. It helps. Almost to the next route-

Oh boy... Mom isn't happy... Uhhh... Wait, what?

OH, NOW YOU WANT MONEY BECAUSE I LEFT? FINE! GO AHEAD! I don't think I'll be using much of it anyway on this run... Luckily, we got dark cave up ahead, and while it lives up to its name, I'm hoping to get something helpful in her-

SWEET! This makes up for the poor luck I've got. Freddie really helps here with the sleep power, and Loki uses his brute force to beat the snot out of it to weaken it. And...

YES! We have a geodude! I'm hoping my luck goes this way for the rest of it. I wanna get that item in here since I'm gonna need every pickup I can get my hands on. I'm gonna call this newcomer Helga (because I can't think of anything creative right now).

<Twenty minutes later>

GOOD GOD, THERE ARE A LOT OF GEODUDE IN HERE! I got the item and I've had to murder about 5 geodude to get to it and I ran into ONE zubat. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?!? Loki has about 10pp left, Freddie has no more singing, Alice has pitiful attack and won't do much, and Helga is still asleep... If I didn't get lucky with the last guy being a zubat, I would have had a big problem... We make it out and make a dash to the town, but run into a bellsprout and then I remember this is a new route. I CAN GET THIS! I'm almsot dead, so I gotta test my luck here... Loki hits it with a tackle and... THE BELLSPROUT IS MINE! It only knows vine whip though, so lets name him after a group famous for their... Uh... Whips...

I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?

Score: 18

(I have never seen so many geodudes come out like that... A little sad I didn't get a zubat for the sole purpose of not having to worry about getting one later on, but I'm ok with this so far)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 06:20:42 pm »

ptw and offer morale support that this is awesome so far.
Nom nom nom

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »

ptw and offer morale support that this is awesome so far.
Thanks! Glad I'm making this enjoyable.

Part 4: Violet City Blues

<Hours of grinding later>

I think I could shed a tear... Nothing interesting during the grinding. Helga smashes some faces, and the majority of the group is now around level 8 (helga is 7, Loki is level 11) and I think its time we take a look around Violet City. And by that, I mean lets go see if we can get some new pokemon. For the sake of this run, I'm gonna count inside and outside of the Ruins of Alph are two different places, same with Sprout Tower and Violet City (so I can come back later for those sweet bonus points).

I'm gonna call it now and say we're gonna have something go horribly wrong before this post is over... I'm not joking, for most of these posts I'm playing as I post (which is why sometimes there's a lot of posts and sometimes theres a gap between them). So first stop: Ruins of Alph. I somehow managed to glitch up the game and it thinks its now 1AM... No idea why... And now for the one thing I hated as a child:

Its not as confusing when you know the answer and know the pokemon its trying to look like.

I'm sad though that this is as close to a Kabuto as I'm gonna get... Yeah, yeah, fall down a hole and... Wow... Was the music always this creepy? I don't remember it being this bad... And the letter we get  IS...

I swear to god, if the next one I find is a U...

... It didn't even need its companion to tell me to go f*** myself... Well, we have only one last chance to get a sixth pokemon before falkner.

I swear... If I get horrible luck again...

...You know, this one is my fault. At least I get some xp before I go take on Falkner. Just beat this guy with Alice, and we're good to go after I switch my team around and NOT be an idiot... Also, I am glad this generation has Vine Whip as a special attack, because Devo would be impossible to work with without spamming growth for a lot of these fights.

Somehow, some way, I made it to the third floor and haven't seen ANYTHING yet... Watch me jinx that right now... At least I'm beating bellsprouts with Devo quite well. Two shot kill them? Could be better, but thats what I get for sending in a guy whos only attack is resisted 4x by bellsprout. Sadly, I wish vine whip had more uses... 10 just doesn't cut it for most of these battles. It like walking in to a fight with a "meh" guy who beefs himself up to be really strong and then he just collapses after the first five seconds.

Top floor and STILL nothing. Whats going on here!? Also, anyone else who's looked into Lost Silver getting PTSD flashbacks from that by walking around in here?

Again, my fault, thought this sage opened up with Hoothoot. No problem, swap to loki and we're good!

Please tell me this is the guy I'm looking for... NOPE. Another level 6 bellsprout! At least I'm getting SOME xp from this.... Not sure how I would have fared here if I did end up starting with a totodile... My cousin normally used him, and he had no problem, but then again, he's the one who taught me how to play these games some 17-18 years ago? Something like that...

When did I get your number? Oh right... This guy gives away free stuff every now and then. REALLY need that since I'm limited on what I can get from stores. Wonderful... You beat a level 2-4 hoothoot? How many of your 3 level 2 caterpies did it take? I know this game gets weird in how its levels everyone. Mind you, you can take on Pryce before you fight Jasmine (and in fact, my cousin mentioned above always did that) so the level balance SHOULD work in theory... But when you realize that the the team of each pokemon trainer you fight is averaged to have the same difficulty for each trainer on a route, its weird. Its why that juggler on the way to the park has a level 2 and goes to having a pokemon waaayyyyy beyond the level it should be for that area. I think it goes to 18? Its like a miniboss almost with that thing... Anyway, no more rant, THIS LAST GUY HAS TO BE IT.

... I retract my last statement. THIS GUY is a miniboss. Two pokemon and opens up with a bellsprout stronger than the last one!? This is a sucker punch and a half...

Know what? Now that I got this? SCREW IT, EVERYTHING BURNS!

... I GIVE UP! I beat the snot out of his hoothoot and then SUDDENLY, EDGELORD BEN APPEARS!

Maybe if you actually got some, you'd have a chance at beating me. He teleports using the escape rope, and now its our turn. Freddie needs some spotlight after his training, so lets start with him... After I get that item in the corner. And we make it to the elder and I think this is the time I think I set a record of making it through the entirety of sprout tower without seeing a single wild pokemon. Whatever, he opens up with bellsprout and I decide to NOT be stupid and go with Freddie out first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

At least one of us is having a good time Freddie... Second bellsprout and...

Aaaaaand Freddie isn't looking so good. In most other nuzlockes I do, I'd drop a potion here. But its a rule to not use them, and I'm not gonna risk it, so I'm gonna swap to Loki.

Well... This is gonna be a tough battle.

OR I finally get good luck and this is gonna be a cakewalk. And our prize for setting this guy's hoothoot on fire? THE MOST USELESS HM IN HISTORY! Well, I'm out of here. See ya!

And it was at this very point as I healed my team that, after a phone call with a buddy and beating that guy up that I legitimately forgot to get something. On a bright note, I'm healed up now. SO, what are we gonna get from sprout tower?
**EDIT: I lost the image**

HOLY F***BALLS ITS A GASTLY! With Foresight from Alice, I almost kill the poor thing with a tackle, so I'm gonna let Freddie do what he does best and HOPE it works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

That song choice was probably rude, but hey, I'm ok with making jokes at dead things.

HECK YEAH! Now, normally, I call my gastlys Ghast, but I'm feeling more creative this time around. Purple smoke ball that's a ghost?

It was this or Hendrix. I like this one better. Now is the hard part: Who do I take with me to take on Falkner? And can I even take him on with my current team? I'm gonna go grind a bit... But the team is gonna be Loki, Helga and-

Oh god... He's become navi...

Score: 20

(Yes, I did make it that far again without running into anything. Wade called me right after I caught Jimmi)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:17:49 pm by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: Violet City Gym
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:32:48 pm »

Part 5: Violet City Gym

Its a good thing time isn't effecting my score, because I decided I should PROBABLY go get some berries dropped from trees. They're pretty much free items and my only source of in battle healing, since held items are allowed. I only get two of them, so I'll have to make it count. Also, fixed my time problem, but now the game thinks its sunday? Ah well... I need to take a stop at the mart (finally) to get some extra pokeballs and some potions and such. 2 pokeballs, 2 potions and another antidote seem good. On a good note, I have a secret weapon with me to take on this gym. And so without farther ado, here are the three I'm walking in to this gym with:

Also gonna say this, but I'm benching Alice for good. Not just because I don't like hoothoot, but she's really slacking... During the grinding, she was getting killed faster than she was doing damage, and always, someone had to bail her out. At least Alice can be happy she doesn't have the chance to get killed... As for the resons for the others? Devo is grass type and everyone in this gym has one flying type move... And Devo can't hurt them much with just wrap... And Jimmi is too squishy, can't hurt them since they're all normal types, and Falkner has mud slap. This is also why I'm reluctant on bringing in Loki in...

SO, first gym battle. If I recall, its probably the make or break point for this gym. I remember getting destroyed by this first guy when I first played. I think it will play much differently this time with the power of my secret weapon! Also, I never understood why we're standing over a bottomless pit... This is NOT what a first gym should look like!

Alright, SECRET WEAPON, GO!

ONE HIT KO! YES! Gonna let Freddie have a shot at the next guy before I take on Falkner. I also noticed he has a fantastic attack, special attack and hp stat but his defence sucks, so I'm a liiiitle worried here. Hopefully nothing too bad will happen on fight 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

Just because the song says you're going through the sky doesn't make you a flying type... Take a few hits, sing a song I've already posted, beat him in his sleep, and we're good! Freddie doesn't look so hot after that, so he deserves a potion break. Swap around to Helga one more time for the big showdown and we're gonna have a good time. And now is the time I realize that Freddie has ALMOST 50 HP. AT LEVEL 11. HOLY CRAP. That potion isn't going to help much...

With that, its time to fight the guy who would probably be called an emo nowadays for how his hair looks on his overworld sprite. Or at the very least, a prettyboy.

You mean like the one I just perma-boxed?

See? He's not emo at all in his actual look.

Oh no, pidgey, whatever shall I do?

Here comes the smackdo-

I DID NOT TAKE IN TO ACCOUNT ALL OF HIS POKEMON HAD IT.

Ok, the damage isn't a problem but that accuracy reduction is gonna cost me...

Ok, this is good. I don't have to waste more time... Now for the big one. On a good note, Helga leveled up from that.

THAT'S IT!? I grinded up to level 11 and I was greeted with a level 9 pidgeotto!? Apparently, looking online, I was thinking of the Heart Gold/Soul Silver level, where he's level 13 and can wreck your team because it heals and gives the finger to your rock and electric attacks.

Thankfully, after a second mud slap, I give him one right in the face.

... It survived... Oh boy, this could turn disastrous really quick. I think I can get this...

After missing several shots, I have to risk it. After using the berry a little too early, I have to bring out the next best thing. Come on Loki, end it!

Roasted chicken anyone? And that wraps up this fight. Badge, mud slap TM and 8 points to my scorecard? Heck yeah!

... Aaaaaaand I walk outside and get greeted with Elm calling me about this egg I can't have. I'll box it, don't worry. Pick up the rest of the team since its right at the pokemon center and BAM! We're on the road to the next town! But first, there's a patch of grass past that jerk who blocks our way. Who's our newest team member?

Well, this is a change. Didn't even know these were on this route. I also forgot that Jimmi has hypnosis, so that helps (especially since I forgot I put him there while I walked here). One lick should do a little less than half, so I think I can-

OH GOD DAMNIT! I thought a second lick wouldn't kill him since the bar was still green... Ugh... This is not going well for me... What sucks too is this is a REALLY long route too, so I'm stuck with what I have right now. Gonna call it a post here because this is upsetting...

Score: 28

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: Salty Highmax
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 06:03:31 pm »

Part 6: Salty Highmax

I literally start the game, take one step and this guy starts trying to pick on me. Who are you again?

Ok Albert. Lets see what you got- its a rattata and a zubat... The zubat gets a hit in because Helga is slow, and Helga hurt herself in confusion, but one one hit. WHO'S TOUGH NOW!?!?

And here we see the majestic modern girl who won't get off her phone and is completely unaware that shes walked into a rock.

I wasn't joking. Jimmi (I realized I spelled the poor dead man's name wrong but oh well) puts her nidoran(F) to sleep and beats the snot out of it by... Licking... It... Uhh... Yeah, lets not go there. We find some fishermen, so lets give Devo a chance to shine. I know one of these fishermen will give you their number and give you stuff, and I think his name is Ralph-

OH THANKS MOM! WHAT WAS IT? You could have been honest with me and said "Oh I needed to borrow some money, is that ok?" and NOT go ahead and buy stuff randomly! Thanks!

Bribery will get you nowhere...

... I would kill to have you right now... But no, I had to have a dead snake. And I find a great ball, so according to the rules, I have to get rid of it and get more pokeballs when I can. And by the time this post is done, It'll be dealt with (unless I run into a shiny, which I doubt will happen).

Instead of a shiny, we find this guy. Is this the guy who actually gives you something or is this the guy who-

YUP, this is this game's bike. Except you can't ever get one... Without cheating I think. I think there is data for it, but you can't ever get one. Its pretty stupid if you ask me. I was also thinking of the Rage Candybar earlier. I think if you give it to some guy, he gives you explosion, but that might be Soul Silver only. Oh hey, a secret great ball. That's gonna be helpful for later on when I have to get a team that will last me till the late game... Speaking of which, there IS a moon stone I can get. I need surf and to not get wrecked by the pokemon on the way there. Its in Tohjo falls, so Freddie can be a permanent team member. I wish though that he had a better movepool outside of TMs...

WHAT IS THIS? POKEMON XXX? You don't go asking kids that question! The fact he gives you an old one doesn't help either... In all seriousness, this is the generation it probably has its most uses for. Its pretty much how I got about 60+ pokemon owned in a Soul Silver run before Morty. You see, this game has a lot more pokemon available in it than most people think. Sadly, most people don't take the time to go and get the rarer ones because they're, quite literally, rare. Throw in the fact that you have access to ditto and the daycare system before Whitney? You have options galore for getting a viable team. Sadly, this is a nuzlocke, and percentages are against me. Luckily, our saving grace is the no dupes clause. Since magikarp are EVERYWHERE, with an old rod, you get a magikarp in a place that you really don't mind not getting something useful (like say, Violet City?) so you go there, get magikarp and you can't get anymore. What does that leave us with? Poliwags, Tentacools and Goldeens left to get with the old rod. Again, the dupes clause is a savior for nuzlockers. Speaking of Violet City, let's see what we get using our... Rod...

As expected. Thankfully they're pretty tanky as a magikarp, so they can take a hit or two from Freddie while he serenades him to sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I

And we get him. I normally name my magikarp Superbeast or Carrie, but I think with the theme here, I'm gonna go for the creator of superbeast:

It's pretty hilarious when you name your Magikarp after Rob Zombie. And I know its a very difficult struggle, but I think I could actually make Rob viable here. I'm just really hoping I don't have a repeat of my team from one of my last nuzlockes... I know I'm gonna have to retire a lot of my current party after a time, so I'm really hoping I get some solid team members soon... This ALSO means this begins the grind... Its not as bad as in R/B/Y or other games where the magikarp starts at 5, but level 10 is still nothing to sneeze at... It just means I need to level Rob up 5 times and he can carry his own... Assuming Rob lives long enough to do so. Also, what was that item mom got me? A super potion? That... Might come in handy...

My rambling has caused this trek to be completely uneventful. I need to stop doing that. Anyway, lets see who we're going to get as a new partner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBtPf7FOoM

Zubat? Well, could be worse. I actually find Crobat to be a viable option actually. Zubat is pretty weak, but crobat? Totally worth the time and effort. I just hope I don't have rotten luck with this...

Got her! Now comes the hard part. I'm not sure what to name her, so on a limb, I just typed into my search bar a random letter and hoped I could get relevance to something. Somehow, Arch Enemy (the band) came up, and both gave me the idea of what to call her and made me realize I need to listen to more than just metal... So I'm naming the zubat after the current singer of Arch Enemy:

Now that I think about it, I should consider switching out Devo for Alissa, because Devo is not gonna be helpful for ANY of the next like... 7 Gyms, unless you count the resistance he gets against Chuck and dealing with the poliwrath. Even then, while zubat/golbat/crobat isn't the best option for most of the gym leaders here too, they can deal with EVERYTHING in Chuck's gym and they can fly. I'm unsure right now still, I want to see what I get later on, but I will be replacing Devo.

I say this as the next trainer whips out an Onix... Find some stuff in here (great ball, potions) and one of the firebreathers mentions hearing roars down below on weekends. If I spent all my money on repels, I could get surf and strength, come back and go get it, but I don't really care about having a lapras.

Does anyone else notice the weird skin colored... uhh... Flesh thing in between his legs? I don't think I want to know whats going on there... I beat up his slowpoke, take his money, loot some stuff and head towards the exit, which is blocked by a firebreather.

You can clearly tell he didn't get his vulpix from Alola. And apparently, despite him being the source of the light in the cave, the light doesn't go out. Weird... Finally made it outside. I go to fight this hiker and he almost destroys me. I need to do some major grinding after I heal up in the next town. I don't think I'm fully ready to take on Slowpoke well yet, so I'll come back for that. Also, apparently, I can go into Ilex forest before I finish slowpoke well, so lets see what I can get in here...

Well... At least it gets me some score (the -1hp was because I didn't get the image upon him showing up and I switched to Jimmi).

This is a first. I haven't had to use more than one ball before. I can't weaken him any more so I gotta hope that I get him on the next one.

Two balls for this one? I need to work on my catching skills... What do we name a female oddish? The song Magic Man by Heart comes to mind, so...

I'm running out of ideas, bear with me on this. I'm gonna take some time now to grind. Hopefully, I can get a viable team set up...

Score: 32

(I have no idea what I'm doing anymore...)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:48:12 pm »

Damn, if you had gotten a Mareep you coulda named it after the forums incarnation of sheeplust, LaptisenCalidovi! I did that last time I played Silver.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:29 pm »

Damn, if you had gotten a Mareep you coulda named it after the forums incarnation of sheeplust, LaptisenCalidovi! I did that last time I played Silver.
I'm not gonna ask who or what that is...

Part 7: Slowpokes and Ben Returns

Yes! YES!

NOW we're talking. I did some extra grinding with Alissa and Rob, but not enough to really make them usable. I need more grinding but the rest of the team can pick up after them now. So lets get on with this.

Blah, blah, blah. I know who Team Rocket is, just run down the well and bust your back or whatever you do.

This well looks more like a cave than an actual well... We go inside and Kurt busted his back as expected... I think if he fell this far down and landed on his back, he should be dead, but hey, its a kids game... Right?

First Rocket fight and they have the same pokemon I use in pokemon GO. Or at least stuff I have a buttload of... Alissa can't handle this, so swap around the team to wipe the floor with these goons. I have to say, the music in slowpoke well is some of my favorites. The rocket fight music is awesome, and so is the well's music itself. It isn't my favorite in the game, but its up there. Also, thanks to having Alissa, I can't catch anything but something rare in here, so if I gotta grind, I can do so.

Crap... This is gonna be a struggle...

Figured this was gonna happen, but missing with smog and poison gas so much feels good.

See ya! And with that, we save the slowpoke, Kurt gets instant spine reconstructive surgery, and we teleport out of the well. And suddenly, Wade calls us (I swear, he's worse than Joey...).

Now here lies a bit of a problem. These balls are all situational, and if I recall, one of them does not work properly (Moon Ball if I recall). I'm going to allow myself to get the ones that have 1x catch ratings (friend ball and moon ball) as the rules dictate. If I get any others (which I doubt I'll get after this lure ball) I will sell them like the others and sell them and exchange them for regular balls. Now, to get a new ally in the well...

Behold! The majestic slowpoke! This is probably one of the few enemies Alissa can take... Sorta... In a Soul Silver nuzlocke I did, I had a slowpoke on my team, and it was pretty good to use when it had quick claw, but II don't think I'll use them this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

I feel like that was uncalled for, but meh... Aaaaand she breaks out and wakes up. No problem, do it again and...

Perfect. I don't know what to call this one... Uhh... Henrietta? Sure. Nothing says cool like a South Park reference... Right? Since I know what's coming up next, I'm gonna swap Rob for Devo (surprisingly, Devo is level 14 with just smacking Geodudes around).

The edgelord returns! He doesn't believe me when I said I kicked Team Rocket out of the well. So let's thrash him a bit... He opens up with Gastly, and I send out Alissa because I'm an idiot... Switch to Loki, set it on fire and we're good.

That Croconaw looks... Off... Did you get a haircut? This is why I brought Devo. This won't take long since I gave Devo the Miracle Seed.

Good start, but that means we need two more shots on this thing without him wrecking us...

... Maybe I SHOULD keep Devo on the team. He's proven to be more than helpful.

I think now is the time to say that I'm pretty sure half of my team can put people to sleep... The zubat he sends out is pretty easy to take care of, though he does do some damage to Freddie when I try to send him out (damn flinching...).

And that's that. Next up: the gym.

Score: 34

(I need to grind some more before I take on the gym. I have an idea who to take, but it might not go too well right now)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 11:05:23 pm »

PTW.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:09:02 pm »

PTW.
Welcome! Enjoy as I continue to have no idea that I'm doing.

Part 8: Highmax is an Idiot
Probably the stupidest idea I have come up with in the entirety of my nuzlocke career. Here is the team I'm taking in to the gym:

This can either turn o to be the biggest payout or become the stupidest idea in the history of nuzlockes. Buy myself two super potions, two pokeballs, one antidote, and then lastly exchange the balls I have, and we're good! I'd grab that charcoal, but I'll get one later for free. So here we GO!

Uhh... Did I end up in the wrong gym somehow? I thought this was the bug type gym, not the cutesy pokemon gym. Anyway, first fight is against these cute little girls... Shouldn't be too hard. Spinarak and Ledyba? I can handle this... I know the trainers in here are relatively easy to handle... Except one of them that has a beedrill... He's gonna be a problem...

There he is. Lucky for me, I don't have to worry about him too much with Helga. Beat up this guy and we're on to Bugsy. This should be fun taking out his pokemon... Oh, and yes, Bugsy IS a dude, even though his team suggests he's female (probably has to do with leader and having a team of queen insects), most sources say he's a dude, including the manga, which actually uses this as a joke (Gold hits on him and he's like "You know I'm a boy, right?).

It's almost impossible to tell though since, you know, half of his face isn't even textured. And do some careful swap training on this guy, swap to Rob, take a nasty hit from fury cutter on Helga who swapped out, rock throw aaaaand...

We're good.
http://i.imgur.com/GDufJHO.png

Oh yes, this is gonna be fantastic!

Another +8 to my score and we now are much closer to getting that Gyarados. And we get Fury Cutter, which is a fantastic move... If you're a bug type. Otherwise, its not too good. I've also decided Jimmi is gonna retire now, since he's not going to be too helpful... Sorry buddy. Sadly, this means I need to do more grinding for Alissa and Rob... Wade calls and I'm starting to wonder if he really does give me items. Also, Ralph hasn't called me once... Anyway, off to the next area. And by that, I mean getting some kid's farfecth'd while obliterating really weak pokemon in the forest...

<ten minutes later>

THANK GOD, that was annoying... Got the charcoal too. Also, weren't you green in the forest?

Anyway, teach cut to Devo and I work my way slowly through here...

Score: 42

(I am actually really lucky with that gym fight. I'm glad magikarp is tanky by itself, or I would have lost my streak)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highmax's Silver Nuzlocke/Caratlocke: Stupid Highmax
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 10:57:31 am »

Part 9: Headbutting Trees, Defusing Bombs and More Salt
So as I went through Ilex Forest, which is boring, so I'm gonna ignore it, I found TM02, which is headbutt. This means I can go back to Azalea Town and get a new pokemon for that sweet score! Taught it to Freddie who will probably do some massive damage with it, and thus begins more backtracking... On the bright side, if I reacall, Weedle gives Attack EVs, so that's something... Right? So lets see who we get as a new ally...

Oh hey. That's new. What does this thing kno- OH F*** NO.

I have to be VERY lucky in order to make this work...

STEP 1 COMPLETE. Swap to Helga as bomb diffusal in case this goes wrong...
**EDIT** (Lost the image...)

OK, I am VERY lucky this went so well. I'll gladly exchange 5 balls for the life of my team. You deserve a name worthy of explosives everywhere...

And after we let Bill or whoever is holding on to these pokemon in the box deal with a sleeping bomb, Ralph FINALLY calls us- AAAAAAND its just like Wade's calls... Wonderful... I'd go back a route to go get a specifc guy, but I'm gonna wait. Because one of my chances is a guy I get for free (though temporarily) later on. So give me some time to pass through Ilex forest... And murder a bout another hundred weedles...

And Alissa becomes usable on her own! Huzzah!

Sadly, she doesn't get to murder bugs and we make it out on the next route! I also think now is the time I need to pay attention to routes and get pokemon I haven't caught yet either on land, sea or headbutting. Also, Ralph calls me and tells me theres a swarm of Quillfish... Sadly, I can't go get them... Also, I didn't get any pictures, but this guy's growlithe absolutely wrecked my team. Look at them!

I got lucky and beat the next trainer despite being completely wrecked by that growlithe... I'm tempted to look for a more reliable team, but I can't do much about it right now...

However, we made it to Goldenrod, and I'm cutting the post off here. I'm gonna be spending my time beating up trainers and such. This also brings up a big question: whats the deal with the Game Corner? Well, I'll treat this like the department store and treat each different vendor in this building as the same vendor. So 5 prizes for both ladies (if you think I should do it differently, feel free to speak up). Oh, and I can't forget, one last catch before I go grind:

OH F*** NO.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! ARGH! Curse my rotten luck with these runners!

Score: 44

(I regret losing those images, they were PERFECT...)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:59:03 am by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Part 10: Return of the Caratlo- Oh Crud...

Now that I finally have time to do this, I can continue the Caratlocke!

I know this technically counts as a necro, but I found my save file earlier today, and I can tell I didn't lose yet, so I'm gonna try and finish this (unlike my last nuzlocke that ended before the Elite 4...) I also opened up the game and I have NO idea what is going on right now, so I'll give a bit of what I see before.

First thing I noticed: we're in the radio tower

I'm about as confused as you are at this point. Looking at the party...

I guess Loki and Heda got their names changed to fit the others? I apparently named Loki after my favorite band Amon Amarth, which is the Lord of the Rings elvish word for Mount Doom. Shout out if you know them! And Helga got renamed to Pat? I assume Pat Benetar, because I can't think of any other reason.

Taking a look at our bag and- Oh...

That's... Not good? Hey, while I'm here, might as well check the lottery, right?

Figures... No numbers, so I don't think I advanced enough, and I also got the radio card! That saves some time (and me ranting about how stupid some of these questions get if my memory serves me right).

Take a look at the box just to see if I missed anything- nope, everything is fine. Looking at the team, and my thoughts are... Still the same: a lot of people here are going to be benched for one reason or another. If I recall, my last screw up was the route BEFORE this one, so that means I have to go to the next route to get anything new. Mostly, now that I get a good look at my team, I am going to get DESTROYED by Whitney.

Gonna check out underground tunnel and- ITS ALREADY DONE!? Well, the haircut brother is here, so I'm going to do that while I'm here so I can get Alissa to be one step closer to being a Crobat. It also dawned on me I got the bike as well, so apparently, before I saved and forgot/lost all the images I had, I did some stuff around town-

Damnit Wade, I'm trying to find out what I did last time I played! Its like the Hangover, except no alcohol was involved.

I'm not even ten minutes into playing and you're already like "ITS BEEN FOREVER, LETS GO!" Well, tough luck, I can't get to you until I thrash Whitney.

Well, nothing left to do but to grind a bit and check out whats on the next route. I know its been a while, but I made a mention of this route in an earlier post. There is a juggler here who has this absurd jump in pokemon level. It goes from level 2 to... 18? I think? Either way, he's more infamously known for what he says (if this is the game I'm thinking of...)

I couldn't resist. This is the guy who gives you a spearow and you deliver it to get a TM. Now, due to how the rules of the Caratlocke works, this doesn't count as capturing something. I asked a few people about what to do with this, and the consensus was that it doesn't count towards the pokemon caught, and also, because its temporary, it also doesn't count as owning it (despite what the pokedex says), so that means it does nothing for the caratlocke whatsoever.

Anyway, we got a lot of work to do before we take on Whitney. So, on this route, I can get a lot of different things. HOWEVER, looking at my pokemon found on this route (Aka, a bulbapedia page) Nidoran of both genders and Yanma are only found on this route and route 36. Problem is, there are a lot of trainers in between the grass and the entrance to this route.

I don't even want to know... Alissa is doing pretty well for herself now that she has Bite.

AND WE ARE OUT OF THERE! Rollout is scary, and I am NOT dealing with that! Helga- I mean Pat is gonna take over from here- Wait, confusion STOPS rollout!? This... If Zubat wasn't weak to Rollout, this would have been my key to stopping Whitney. Pat uses her fancy new move, Magnitude, and wipes the floor with the kid's marill.

You know, despite what I said a long time ago, I think Devo should stay on the team for a bit. He's the only answer I have to rock, ground and water types (which is ridiculous because my ACTUAL water type is still garbage and rock/ground types can hurt Devo a lot with a ground move), and there seems to be A LOT of those types of pokemon.

And here is the juggler himself-

GOD DAMNIT!

As I said, here is the weird jumps. The highest level pokemon on this route is a level 15 vulpix. The way the game tries to balance it is they try to reduce the level, give or take, by 1 or 2 for each pokemon you fight, with some exceptions (such as this guy). The levels of all of his pokemon SHOULD average out to 12 or 13, which, as I said in another earlier post, shows you how weird it can get.

*lost another image. Imagine a level 14 voltorb*

Wow, was I wrong. I take back everything I said. This last voltorb is still a bit challenging, but then again, I have Alissa fighting him.

Well, good news is, with this guy in the trash, we can finally see who our newest teammate is!

Wow, this is the first game I played where I got a nindoran (F) before I got a nidoran (M). Just throw in Devo, sleep powder and then... Err... Whip her...

And we got ourselves a new member! Easy. Now the hard part: giving her a name that fits this stupid theme I forced myself into... Uhh... Why not? I'll name her after an Eric Clapton song.

Wade then calls me (I lost this image because hitting A too much) that THE BUG CATCHING CONTEST IS ON. I decided that the national park counts as the same place during and not during the contest, and all nuzlocke rules apply in the contest too. Who do I take on the contest? Well, I decided that Freddie should be the one. His stats are actually pretty low for attack, but he has the bulk to withstand a lot of of attacks with his HP. Plus, sing helps. And to get the most points in the bug catching contest, its not much known for this, but apparently, Current HP ACTUALLY COUNTS for this.

NOW LETS DO THI-

That was quick-

I need to stop losing these images... Imagine a pinsir in a top hat

I WANT IT. I WANT IT SO BAD. And if I get him, I actually have a USE for fury cutter!

Crap...

Double crap... This is not looking good so far.

(Regularly posted Queen music for Freddie)

That's better! That pinsir hurt though...

I AM THE LUCKIEST MAN ON EARTH! Now to just cash in and see the standings!

The moment of truth...

Third place Kakuna, expected... 317 points is pretty scary though...

WHAT!? I DIDN'T WIN!? 328 points though, how!?

YOU MOTHERF***ER! And at 338 points!? What did you get!? A level higher!?

Ugh... Another useless item I am never going to use... Now to name the Pinsir... Hmmm... Gonna call him Phil, because only bug related song I can think of is Locust by Machine Head, and their frontman is named Phil. Well, that's two new members to potentially add. One more route to tackle before we begin our training! I COULD save this for Sudowoodo, but I have a good chance at getting pokemon only found on this route. Let's see what we get! ... After we thrash a psychic

Its just three abra- OH GOD

NOPE! Not after those abra two levels under outspeed Alissa AND she got flashed by them- Err, they used flash on her. And it was at this point that I realized Amarth has the highest special defence out of everyone in my party... Meaning Amarth has to take a smack from the kadabra... AND CONFUSION HURTS. I may very well lose my starter here because half of my team will be one-shot by this kadabra.

This is TWO confusions and a missed kinesis. I AM SCARED.

*incoherent screeching of joy*

I can't believe I survived! Alright, switching to Devo, who hasn't been hurt too much, and...

I already got one of you! NEXT

Lost another image. Picture some thing small, fluffy, adorable and about to melt your face off

Wow. My luck this run is pretty good, outside of the many times it's been garbage. Unfortunately, Vulpix, like Bellsprout, can't get their final evolved forms until AFTER the Elite 4, and even then, its requires specific pokemon to get the stones- OH CRAP

MISTAKES WERE MADE

Wow... That's... All? Hopefully the sleep powder I drop will hit-

*Insert picture of vulpix sneezing*

Get in there Pat! Tank some hits and weaken her!

Done and done! What to name her... Uhh... Since Vulpix is based on a Kitsune, which is a japanese folklore creature, lets name her after the only Japanese lady in music I know

Probably a better option, but I don't know anything better right now.

And thus begins the long grinding train... This is gonna be !!!GREAT!!!

Score: 50

(Sorry if you're seeing this and it suddenly just shows back up, but I wanted to pick this back up once I found the save file)

Pages: [1] 2