Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I find a giant cave spider?  (Read 1443 times)

barak177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I find a giant cave spider?
« on: April 13, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Hello everyone!

I want to build a fortress that produces silk clothes from a (tamed) GCS. Therefore I was searching my world for one of those animals but I could not find it. Is there any advice for easier finding one? I searched about 20 chasms, mountains, vulcanos, also with reveal.exe...

Thanks for help
Barak

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find a giant cave spider?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

My advice would be to give up now and check yourself into a padded room.

But on a practical note, the one time I know I had a GCS, although I suspect there was one on another map under the same conditions, it was a chasm and when I started the fort it was hidden, lurking.  It promptly ambushed my hunter and tore him limb from limb in about 3 seconds.  I don't know what reveal does, but unless it uncovers ambushing creatures, you wouldn't see it when you started out.

Also, there was a bug that GCSs and anything else that is on the map when you start out can't be caught in cages or other traps.  I don't know if that was fixed yet.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>Also, there was a bug that GCSs and anything else that is on the map when you start out can't be caught in cages or other traps.  I don't know if that was fixed yet.</STRONG>

That bug has been fixed.

However it is rather hard to find GCS since they start out sneaking. You can't even see they're web until they're right on top of you. And by then it is to late. If you really want to try and find a GCS my advice would be to check out chasms while using companion to see if there are any that are hiding. That or take up modding.

However you won't be able to get any web from them once they are tamed. They only produce web as a giant web or as a form of an attack.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

I've had them lose their sneak by attacking kobolds before. If you can find one that way (look for chasms and caves), you could try luring it onto a retracting bridge, then dropping it onto a platform surrounded by moat. Then, anytime you want silk, you could just send a recruit to stand on the other side of the moat and get webbed at.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
However you won't be able to get any web from them once they are tamed. They only produce web as a giant web or as a form of an attack.

1. Drop GCS in single-tile room with fortification /grate floor looking at your entrance.
2. Wait for seige.
3. ???
4. Profit!

The same can also be done with dragons and their fire breath.

Alternately, you can do the same thing with a large room in front of the web-generator, put a cage with an enemy in the room, release the creature via lever, wait for the spider to spew webs at him, and then kill the released creature with xbow dwarves before he destroys too many webs.
[Or use the recruit method above, but that'd be wasting a recruits' valuable training time.]

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by barak177:
<STRONG>I want to build a fortress that produces silk clothes from a (tamed) GCS</STRONG>

You do know that taming a GCS is like taming a aids-devil posession-cancer hybrid disease in Tyrannosaurus Rex form, right?

Because if you don't, then you ig'nant. Taming a GCS is impossible...

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

It's not.

You just need a dungeon master.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

or preferably, 3-4 dungeonmasters
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

I remember a system I designed to install in a tower for silk production, it was spread over 2 floors.

Hope this works:

code:
 ##########
####  ####

code:
 TTTTTTTTTT
TTTT  TTTT

That's the just of it. T=Traps, #=Grates, I planned to hook up a lever to all the grates so that the spiders could fall into the traps whenever I wanted to harvest the silk, then I could carry the traps back up to the upper floor. Never got to test it though. The 2 block empty spot would be for where the doors were, obviously the entire system is walled in.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Alex Encandar ]

Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

I once tried to capture a GCS. Traps did nothing, so I tried to make it fall into a pit by triggering a drawbridge. The pit was accidentally filled with water due to an unexpected aquifer, but at that point I only wanted to see the spider dead. It took about twenty brave dead peasants, but I eventually got it to fall into the water and drown.
I'll tell you this- Make sure you use a lever-based trap that doesn't depend on the spider's ability to trigger traps, and make sure all the mechanisms involved are high quality. There is only a very small window between the moment a cave spider steps on the retracting bridge and the moment it spits out dwarf chunks and leaves triumphantly.
Silk production should be theoretically possible by trapping the spider behind a fortification (or channel if you're feeling lucky) with a raising bridge and getting a military dwarf to tease it. Get the spider to shoot the soldier and then raise the bridge.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

Similar system for silk gathering as most others here, with one exception: I just tie up a donkey or some other useless animal, and the spider sits there spitting webs all day long.  Doesn't tie up a dwarf, and you still get the silk.  Combine with a pressure plate for raising/lowering the sight blocking bridge, and you have a pretty darn good system.

Oh, and as to how to find them...good luck, your gonna need it.

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Shamasu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_51408
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:03:00 am »

If you're looking for giant spiders, you're better of with DF companion. That should show them even if they're hidden.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

Those spiders are pretty sneaky.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

Well, if you really want some GCSs....

I don't know where the topic is exactly, but one member of the forums found a map filled with over 20 GCS on embark. He posted it here in this forum, and posted the seed. Only problem is it's a map from two modes ago. 33a, or something. You might check there.

EDIT: Here it is. here. http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=001771

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

RC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

You got reveal.exe to work with 38c?
Thought it wasn't updated to work.
Pages: [1] 2