Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotting masterworks meal causes emotional shock: bug or feature?  (Read 1132 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A rotting meal was destroyed in the refuse stockpile, and the cook suffered a shock. Since clothing refuse destruction is legitimate, I would have expected the same to go for meals?

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:48:23 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:21:58 am by fucduck »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rotting masterworks meal causes emotional shock: bug or feature?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:26:44 am »

masterwork apple pie: apple, cave wheat flour, hen egg, dwarven syrup.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:45:20 pm »

I'd say that the meal rotting, in a stockpile or otherwise, causing a bad thought is working as intended. Things like eatng or trading away the meal causing it is a bug.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:23:27 pm »

I'd say that the meal rotting, in a stockpile or otherwise, causing a bad thought is working as intended. Things like eatng or trading away the meal causing it is a bug.
"Get that knife out of my roast!  You... you... you're cutting it!  I will kill you!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:46:55 pm »

A rotting meal was destroyed in the refuse stockpile, and the cook suffered a shock. Since clothing refuse destruction is legitimate, I would have expected the same to go for meals?
It is highly likely that the food was not destroyed by wear but instead by rotting, and rotting is the worst possible fate for a masterfully prepared meal. Even if it did wear away, the chef would have every right to be angry about it, since all of his effort spent preparing the meal literally went to waste.

If you're not sure if something is a bug or not, try using common sense.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 05:09:50 pm »

The bug lies in the fact that your dwarfs forwent the masterful meals and instead opted for raw plump helmets. Better placement of prepared meals (near workshops, not dining room as you'd expect) is a way around this bug.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 03:20:01 am »

@PopTart: Stockpile placement is completely irrelevant, as the buggers didn't haul the masterwork in the first place (they did in the second place: the rotting roast was hauled to the refuse stockpile where it was finally worn/rotting away).

If the buggers would haul the meal out of the kitchen into the stockpile in a timely manner it wouldn't have rotted, correct. However, it's notoriously hard to get them to prioritize urgent tasks over "maņana" tasks. It's quite common, for instance, to have dorfs haul rotting stuff out of the butchery, while the fresh meat in there rots (the haulers have both tasks allocated), and birdsplosions happen because nobody feels like collect the eggs. Similarly, opening up a cavern after an FB rampage will have you see endless hauling of old skeletons, while the fresh kills are literally passed by, and after a while they complain about retching on miasma while continuing to pass by the no longer fresh kills to haul additional skeletons (and single pieces of teeth).