Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32654 times)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »

I dont think the warriors hate us to the point of deposing us, and they will be satisfied with raiding England. It is pretty dumb to raid the Skraelings; we have no knowledge of the local terrain, they will probably be wary from our last encounter and, if the raid fails or there are some survivors, they can do some pretty nasty guerilla warfare. Also, if we choose diplomacy, and they negotiate, we can demand tribute as compensation (maybe a few of their hunters/archers to guide us and help our military) and we can work together to raid other villages, while having a native ally that knows the terrain.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 16, 2016, 02:43:39 pm »

[82-20= 62] Your approach to the Skraeling Village goes off without a hitch. No ambushes no nothing.

Even better your approach in broad daylight is not challenged nor do you come under attack. You camp in a few hundred meters from the village waiting patiently. In the surrounding area panicked people storm within the palisades.

Soon enough an armed group matching your own in numbers approaches.

The one with the biggest feathered headdress approaches you solemnly followed by one wearing the head of a bison.
the latter points at Odd and starts speaking rapidly in their tongue.

A short brusque answer by the supposed leader immediately shuts the bisonman up.

He turns to you...and speaks in absolute gibberish.

[What now oh great Diplomats?]

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »

Pitchers

Some good old fashioned picture based communicatin'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2016, 02:49:19 pm »

Hmm... First off we need to see who's able to act as a translator. Secondly, we need to figure out why the bison-headed guy is pointing out our wife.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2016, 03:24:46 pm »

This has gone better than expected. We can ignore the wife thing, bison head is either questioning her persence or is commenting on her holding a shaman like position. We can get that cleared up later, but it's a low priority I'm thinking.

Feather Head might be a military leader, though we can't be 100% sure.

The people we've brought with us are all from Iceland, so none of us are likely to speak their language. They probably don't speak our language either. However much I'd love to play pictionary or charades, there will probably be some cultural hang ups there. Primarily that neither one of us has probably heard of either of those games.

So how does one communicate then? Through actions. Unfortunately we're aiming to settle things without killing them all, so we can't just attack them.

From a meta sense, the best we can do is stall for time until someone thinks of a better option.

Ask in as clear Icelandic as we can speak "Why did you ambush us?" Then consult with our relevant advisors about potential options.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2016, 03:54:34 pm »

Yah, lets go with that plan. +1
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2016, 05:04:55 pm »

Communicating via ideograms and acting out the concept until some sort of mutual understanding is established is not a purely modern phenomenon. It really isn't that hard to imagine that we could come up with something better than speaking a language they don't understand  if we consult with Odd and Asa. We can give it a shot, since they might have someone who speaks it, maybe, but then it's not hard to see what else we can do.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:11:57 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »

Hmm... Best idea would be to consult with our advisors whilst trying to communicate with pictures drawn in the sand or something. I have a feeling the buffalo hat man is a shaman, which would explain why he's pointing out odd.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2016, 08:01:54 am »

Pitchers

Some good old fashioned picture based communicatin'.

+1

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 17, 2016, 09:09:40 am »

Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 17, 2016, 10:23:16 am »

I think we should bury the hatchet... in his head. But that would be suicidal/best left for later. I think we should talk to them with pictures for now and exchange hostages which cn be taught each other's languages. We should also give them milk and cheese as gifts. ;)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 17, 2016, 11:00:20 am »

Dont forget some mead. Cant have a good meeting without it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2016, 11:05:05 am »

Dont forget some mead. Cant have a good meading without it.
Ftfy
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2016, 11:14:21 am »

We mead would be an option if we had any to give :P

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2016, 05:35:00 am »

[83-20 Abysmal Diplomat = 63]

To the Suprise of your Companions you soon manage to establish some smooth communication via the drawing of pictures, your hand and feet and speaking veeery slowly. The Skraeling Leader does the same and soon it is established that the attack was not aimed at you but rather another clan.

This throws up a number of questions. Mainly that of the rightful settlement of this unprovoked attack.

[4] Many among your people are outraged by the Skraelings and demand a hefty fine for unprovoked attacks and planning to injure another (both penalties carry the punishment of lesser outlawry or in total a fine of 200 Hacksilver), some of the more military minded demand settlement by hólmgang and Asa and your wife bring up the point that technically you killed three of them, forcing you to pay a wergild of 750 Hacksilver (a freemans wergild being 250).

Seeing as you are the godi it is up to you to solver this problem...

[What now?]
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 36