Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: Vinland  (Read 32587 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Vinland
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2016, 07:15:41 am »

A - Someone may be in need of help. The trees may be axe-proof, but the wolves won't be. Well, if it's Fenrir he might be, but screw that; by now we're angry enough to see if our axe works on a god.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2016, 10:19:02 am »

B- who knows, it may not even be wolves? I dont think we ahould take the risk.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2016, 05:08:27 pm »

You plod along the path ignoring the wolven cries and after a few more days of marching, your emaciated,tired body breaks down in a clearing.

You are so horribly tired, body and mind at the breaking point. [17+16] you fall into a deep slumber. It is the first time you have slept in a very, very long time. Weeks have passed since you arrived in Hel and you havent had food, water or sleep and while you think you should be dead you are still alive.

In your exhaustion you do not realize that you are suddenly able to sleep. You awake to the sound of running water. As you open your eyes you finally notice a spring in the middle of the clearing. [10-15] You have no inkling what purpose it serves and hastily crawl towards it ready to drink from it.

[25+16] Oblivious you reach for the water until a massive stick comes crashing down on your back, nearly breaking it.

Howling in pain you roll away and onto your back to see what hit you. It is a man at least ten meters tall, heavily bearded and armed with a massive club and the stick he hit you with.

[What now?]

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2016, 05:10:14 pm »

Demand to know what gives, man!?
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2016, 05:53:37 pm »

+1, but with more style:

"Why did you tap me on the back with your club, giant? May a weary warrior not quench his thirst on this fountain? Wouldn't just saying something suffice?"

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2016, 06:04:17 pm »

+1, but with more style:

"Why did you tap me on the back with your club, giant? May a weary warrior not quench his thirst on this fountain? Wouldn't just saying something suffice?"

+1

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 06, 2016, 09:31:46 am »

+1, but with more style:

+1
+1
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 06, 2016, 09:40:21 am »

"Hah. As impolite as always to your betters...human. You have entered my glade, my spring and have dared sully it with your body. What right do you think you have? The right of guests? Only those who introduce themselves to their hosts and not slink in like thieves recieve that right. What are you doing here anyway? You do not belong here."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 06, 2016, 09:51:01 am »

"Indeed I have no right if this is your glade, and I apologise for trespassing; please forgive me for I meant no disrespect. I am Jomar Thoraldson, a fallen warrior with a grievance against the Gods, and as you say I do not belong here; thus my grievance."

"May I enquire whom I speak to?"

"I belatedly ask your permission to quench my thirst before I move on in my search of the Yggdrasil, which I intend to climb to enter Asgard and seek justice or a reckoning for my present situation."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:52:49 am by Maegil »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 06, 2016, 04:57:55 pm »

He breaks out laughing, holding his belly, his deep laughter rolling and revebrating through the forest.

"Human, how deluded are you? Do you even know what you are talking about? You would quench your thirst out of the Well of Mimir? You would climb Yggdrassil? Have you ever even seen the World Tree? And a fallen Warrior? If you were dead you wouldn't stand before me, you would have long since gone to Hel or Asgard! Poor unfortunate fool you are."

He searched his belt before removing a massive waterskin the size of a two-hundred litre barrel. Throwing it at your feet, he looks at you in a pitying way.

"There, drink deep human, you made me laugh for the first time in a century or so, that ought to be worth something."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 06, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »

Options Taken:
Blacksmith and Genius
Piety: 3+2 = 5 You are a man without Faith, you do not really believe in the Gods, they are Opium of the People at Best.
Learning: 13+2+1 = 16 You are wise beyond your years, propably the most intelligent man in the entire Expedition
((I know, also only 4 in diplomacy and intrigue... Anyway, that was to say that even if he didn't have much faith in the gods (and even less now, even if now he believes in their existence without a doubt), he would know about them; in fact knowing about them would pretty much be required of him as a Gothi.))

"Mímir! I had no idea that this was your well when I tried to drink from it, but still you give me your water ((which may or may not be from that well, but Intrigue 4...)). I thank you for this kindness."
Bow deeply, and drink.

"I now realize how much you show me favour by allowing this much. However, I may be able to give you another belly full of laughter if I tell you my tale - or maybe you'll flatten me to the ground in anger, I know not. In any case, will you hear me out, oh wise one?"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:32:36 pm by Maegil »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:57 am »

Options Taken:
Blacksmith and Genius
Piety: 3+2 = 5 You are a man without Faith, you do not really believe in the Gods, they are Opium of the People at Best.
Learning: 13+2+1 = 16 You are wise beyond your years, propably the most intelligent man in the entire Expedition
((I know, also only 4 in diplomacy and intrigue... Anyway, that was to say that even if he didn't have much faith in the gods (and even less now, even if now he believes in their existence without a doubt), he would know about them; in fact knowing about them would pretty much be required of him as a Gothi.))

"Mímir! I had no idea that this was your well when I tried to drink from it, but still you give me your water ((which may or may not be from that well, but Intrigue 4...)). I thank you for this kindness."
Bow deeply, and drink.

"I now realize how much you show me favour by allowing this much. However, I may be able to give you another belly full of laughter if I tell you my tale - or maybe you'll flatten me to the ground in anger, I know not. In any case, will you hear me out, oh wise one?"

+1, flattery always works

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 08, 2016, 09:45:00 am »

Options Taken:
Blacksmith and Genius

Bow deeply, and drink.

You were declared Godi AFTER you landed with the expedition, not beforehand. Knowledge of the gods was not required to become one, it was just very common because it was expected of you to know about all that stuff. But since your character doesnt give a hoot about the gods he propably knows fuck all about them. Anyway back to the program.
----------------------------

"Mimir? HAH. I am one of his Sons, but Mimir has long since been beheaded and now lies at Odins side, but go ahead, amuse me some more and i'll help you out."

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 08, 2016, 10:43:12 am »

"Ah, Mímirsen, my condolences, I forgot about that. What a great shame it is that Odin would take such revenge on your father for him demanding his eye as payment for drinking off this well.

As for my tale: I am no skald, so I beg your forbearance for the lack of rhyme and the crudeness of the telling..."

Tell him of your battle and death in the circle, and that you took your enemy's eye with the stump of your arm. Tell him of how you woke in Hel surrounded by your funeral ship, how while still blind you cut your fingers in the river of blades, and how angry and dismayed you were at this disregard from the gods. Tell him of meeting a god who called himself Byleist's Brother Helblindi, of all that was said, and of your vow to go to Asgard and take justice or reckoning from the Raven and the Sow even if it meant to climb the Yggdrasil and kick Heimdall off the Byfrost; repeat the exact oath and tell him of the god's reaction. Finish with your travails to get here.
"...and so it was that we came to meet, with me not only oath-bound but fully willing to have the wrong corrected or avenged.

Tell me, Mímirsen, what aid or advice would you be willing to give me?"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:46:07 am by Maegil »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:57 am »

The Son of Mimir stays silent, and stares at you with serious concern. After a moment of pondering, he grabs you and lifts you on his shoulders, before he climbs one of the trees surrounding you.

"Now Mortal, let me be frank with you, you are no fallen warrior, because you are not dead. I have no idea how you got down here into hel or how you made it out of it and into the iron forest without being devoured by fenrirs spawn. But let me tell you with whatever luck or skill you managed that you won't climb Yggdrassil."

With those words you break through the eternal gloom of the dark forest below and finally get a view of the surrounding lands. As you look around you see that the iron forest stretches on for endless miles into both directions and you realize quite uncomfortably that no matter for how long you walked you couldn't have possibly gotten this deep into the forest on your own two feet.

"Mortal, look over there" he points into the dark gloom of the night ahead of you. You look but you can see nothing, it is too dark, something seems odd about the darkness though.

"Look closer." You look closer but still you cannot make out anything.

[7-15],[82+16] then you finally realize what he is getting at. with a dawning feeling of horror you realize that it isn't dark, that it is not night, that what you percieved as eternal darkness is in fact Yggdrassil, you are staring at a part of the World Tree a very, very, very small part of it.

Numbed you look up and see a single leaf in the far distance and you have the sobering realization that the leaf is at least several dozen square miles across and that that is the only reason you can see it from such a distance.

"Yggdrassils trunk is at least 5 months of foot travel away, and we are talking about the walking speed of a jotun. Not that of a mortal man. The Tree itself is thousands of miles across, no one has ever rounded it completely. No one that i know of. Mortal, you have to get there and climb through all the eight worlds, you have to fight Ice Giants, The Giants of Muspellheim, you have to deal with treacherous dvergr and the wiles of the Ljolsalfar, you have to walk the ends of Midgard, your home and even then, you have to find the Rainbow Bridge and then you haven't even fought one of the gods yet.

Mortal what you propose is folly. You won't achieve anything on your oath, not on foot, not by mortal means."
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36