Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability  (Read 11309 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Pursuit of [Un]happiness [Cyberpunk 4/4]: [Im]plausible Deniability
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 02:28:49 pm »

((Is it too early to cough politely at /0 and PG?))
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »

"Third route sounds best. It's got the least moving parts, least likely to go wrong."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 03:12:43 pm »

(I had to drive someone this morning)

"A-are we voting? I'm familiar with the subways, so I'll be taking that route if you need me."

Begin!
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:19 pm »

(I had to drive someone this morning)

(('Tis fine mein bro-lein. I'm probably just too anxious to keep things active.))
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 03:27:25 pm »

*sigh* "Third route it is. Or, if anyone wants to, we can split up, two people go the third route and two go by the second route. The police will have to split their forces and we will be able to cause more havoc."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:29:24 pm by vishdafish »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 05:14:26 pm »

"Split up? Yeah, that's what I meant!" Akira shrieks.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 05:48:14 pm »

All

Cautiously democratic considering your newfound circumstance, you agree to simultaneously strike from the street and from below.

Perhaps there should be more pomp and circumstance in the way you exit the room, more covering each other's backs and providing military handsign before moving forward, but disbelief is still rather heavy in the air. You're all apparently clad in state of the art body armor, you have enough firepower to level a block, and someone who represents a group that has only made itself known as Team Liberation Unicorn has told you to actually go blow a city block or he'll throw a kill switch in your brain.

A bit of disbelief is to be expected.

The building that you're in, the former tenement as Sleepwalker called it, is in terrible shape. In spite of your earlier expectations, the building isn't without power. Only one in ten halo lights is still in working order, and even those burn with murky-green firefly light rather than clean blue. A door slams and clicks shut midway down the main hallway, a reminder that even the worst places in this city still have some life left in them. 

The thin yellow line guides you to the elevator, prompting another small loading sign to pop up before listing the elevator as functional. Someone presses the button, and the elevator grindingly makes its way upwards. Waiting for the elevator, with the single halo light overhead flickering dimly, only adds to the surreal feeling that surrounds you.

The elevator makes an ominous electric crackle rather than a cheerful ding when it reaches your floor, and the doors don't close behind you fully when you enter. Mercifully, there was either never music in the elevator, or it died long ago. The ride is bouncy, likely the result of several of the gauss coils that carry the elevator having burned out long ago. The fifteen red dots on your vision draw steadily closer as the elevator falls, and you eventually pass beneath them as the elevator grinds to a reluctant halt on the first floor.

The lobby of the building is as worn and dilapidated as the upper stories, strewn with pitiful caution tape and debris. A single workboot with a torn off sole is sitting on the reception desk, a memory of a time when people were still trying to rebuild this place. A trio of wary pre-teen youths, cheap and clunky AR lenses locked over their right eyes, take one look at your armor and weaponry before hurriedly walking out the building ahead of you, casting looks that seem equal parts confusion, surprise, and wonder. They're smart enough to get out of your way, but you probably look more weird than dangerous.

The yellow line follows the kids, leading out onto the street. A few additional blocks of text appear by the line to advise moving quickly when in the open and reiterate the earlier orders about minimizing civilian casualties. You cross out into the outside world slowly, almost surprised to see that the world is as you'd expect. The sky is dark, the traffic a blur of high speed lights, and the overall neighborhood is a dingy memory of the old city, the nearly century old static infrastructure decrepit and tired seeming against the rest of the gleaming lights.

Akira, Jamie

The yellow line indicating route #2 directs you to a food truck on the other side of the block. Just thinking about the destination triggers a display to pop up with the man's name (Tao Sakura), photo (hideous), and company name (Tao's Thai Truck), next to the yellow line.

Ernest, Adam 

The yellow line indicating the #3 route leads through traffic and down into the public access for the subway station. The protean suit even offers you a slight detour that takes you to a crosswalk in order to avoid the lethally fast traffic. It's peculiar. Somehow you didn't imagine waiting at crosswalks being the kind of thing that people in strike suits did.

((This is the point of no return. Once you choose some way to proceed, you are committed to your teams and to your paths.))

Spoiler: Akira Nagamoto (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jamie Walters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ernest Quinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adam Jones (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 06:22:56 pm »

"Didn't this piece of junk hear me? I said I wanted to go to the subway! SUB. WAY." Akira howls, shaking her fists at the sky.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 06:45:58 pm »

Sneak up on the driver and knock him out and hijack the truck.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 07:27:56 pm »

Wait patiently at the crosswalk for a gap in the traffic, or for some kind soul to yield the right of way to the lowly pedestrians.

Follow the yellow brick road line through the subway.

"Hey, Sleepwalker, is there any way for us to coordinate our actions? It'd be a damn shame if one team got bogged down in a firefight if the other team was a bit slower at getting into the cop shop."

((I demand vishdafish pull a Terminator before smashing the food truck into the front entrance :))))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »

For now, stick with the scary gangster dude. If the truck isn't running/able to move when he hijacks it, get it moving.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2016, 11:02:32 pm »

Jamie

Sneak up on the driver and knock him out and hijack the truck.

[Stealth: 5] [Driver Alertness: 3+1] There are many kinds of sneak. There is the sneaking people do in movies and video games where the hero crouches slightly and miraculously becomes invisible because their knees are at an angle, there's the real sneaking which involves breathing like a whisper and timing your sounds to that of your prey, and then there's the kind of bald face stealth where you walk up to a person in such a way that they never suspect that they're the target. The latter is your approach to the truck driver.

The mobile Thai cafe is of about the same quality you'd expect to find here. Lot's of tinfoil, salt, grease, and, as a heuristic estimate on your hud warns you, a strong likelihood of creatively sourced meats. You walk past the window of the food truck, giving every impression that you're just about to walk on by and pay him no mind. [Attack 4+2] [Driver Dodge 4-4] [Damage: 4+1+3 (Non-lethal)] Without looking, you grab him by the collar and yank down, slamming his forehead into the sill of the Thai truck. He goes down like a sack the moment you release your grip, revealing a small smear of blood and a dent in the aluminum of the truck. This strength might take some getting used to.

Immediately after you take out the driver, the few rag clad bums nearby on the street scatter.  The individual in the least imposing armor (you're going to have to get names if this damn dream continues) immediately yanks open the driverside door, taking a seat in the still idling food truck. You shrug and take shotgun. Been a while since you had a chauffeur.

Adam
For now, stick with the scary gangster dude. If the truck isn't running/able to move when he hijacks it, get it moving.
The gangster takes out the rather unfortunate looking food truck owner in the blink of an eye. No hesitation, no wind up, no tension. Just sudden violence, as casually as if he'd brushed dust off his shoulder. That is a scary dude. 

Still, you waste no time in climbing in the front seat. [Luck 9] The door to the driver side is unlocked, stunningly, and the engine is still running. In fact, as you scan the food truck's HUD, he's still logged into navigation. Poor fool must have just arrived. You pull up the local city map and tap on the precinct, setting as your current destination, then you lean back. The food truck begins to rev up, the autopilot syncing with local traffic in order to find the window needed to insert itself into blitz of constant 90mph city traffic.

The wheels twist, the vehicle preparing to lurch to life against the inertial dampening- and then it stops once more. The food truck HUD flashes red and displays a single line of ominous text.

DANGER: Injury detected in primary user. Halting vehicle and alerting emergency personnel...

Akira

"Didn't this piece of junk hear me? I said I wanted to go to the subway! SUB. WAY." Akira howls, shaking her fists at the sky.

The hud dims apologetically and switches your route over to go through the subway. It also orders you a sandwich at the nearest Subway chain, pulls up the webpage for a set of submarine apartments off the coast whose flier advocates living life the 'sub way', and gives you the information on an Arther Soobwei whose last known address was in the tenement you just left... Credit where credit is due, it's definitely trying.

Regardless of its efforts, you follow the directions to the crosswalk, wait for the signals, and then cross through to the other side. It's sort of interesting to think about what would happen if a car hit the suit while going at 90 miles per hour. Would the suit have some kind of ability to dampen the impact and make sure you didn't go flying, so you'd like cut through the car with your body, or would you still get crushed to goo? Doesn't really matter, you don't care to test it right now.

As you enter the subway, you get an askance look and a derogatory harrumph from a late night traveler. Apparently you look ridiculous enough that he assumed the rocket launcher on your back is fake. Heading down, you find everything as expected. No surprise clowns, no men with white coats to take you away, just a row of force screens and a tired looking woman in the ticket booth. The traveler ahead of you waves his pass chit absently ahead of him as he approaches the force screen, the rail pass deactivating the barrier before he reaches it.

Problematically, the suit doesn't have a bag, and there really isn't any way to check your pockets. You don't think you have a great way through those barriers.

The woman in the ticket booth eyes you up and down, her expression vaguely interested now. "MEC-Con?" She asks, even the single word seeming to come only at effort.

Ernest

Follow the yellow brick road line through the subway.

"Hey, Sleepwalker, is there any way for us to coordinate our actions? It'd be a damn shame if one team got bogged down in a firefight if the other team was a bit slower at getting into the cop shop."

You end up mostly following the female one that Sleepwalker said had Yakuza ties, and in the meantime you try to talk to Sleepwalker again. You don't get a response, but, considering the fact that you can hear what sounds like a bitten off curse in your ear, you still have a constant audio link to the others you woke up with. Turning towards where you left them, you can even see them marked as a blue outline. It would seem that the suits take care of that worry naturally. The two groups will be in constant audio contact, and you'll even be able to check up on their physical position.

When you reach the entrance to the subway station, the Yakuza chick stops in front of the force screens. You wonder if she realizes those things had a fifty pound press limit. Funny thing about the regs, is that, in a state of emergency (like a fire), people had to be able to freely exit the subway stations. So there was a safety threshold built in so that people could just tear through the screens if they were truly desperate.

Punching through them in one of these suits would be child's play.

Of course, there's also the large door with a caution strip, an employees only sign, and a large banner emblazoned with the word "Maintenance" that would probably also get you down to the actual subway tracks.

Spoiler: Akira Nagamoto (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jamie Walters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ernest Quinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adam Jones (click to show/hide)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:33 pm »

Adam quickly scans the text, before swearing. "Not good. Hopefully, I can..."

The engineer stops talking mid-sentence, focused on his work. He'd search the cab for an access panel of some sort, attempting to break in and override that alert before the cops show up.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 12:01:59 am »

"Y-yeah... of course! Problem is, we don't have pockets on the outside of this costume, so if you don't mind I'm gonna go get my wallet out about now..." Akira stammers as she rushes backward into the door marked "maintenance".

If it succeeds, I'll leave a pair of holograms waiting at the door to keep them occupied while me and (hopefully) Ernest run off and out of sight.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:03:59 am by _DivideByZero_ »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2016, 05:53:20 am »

Watch the dude do his "smart guy" stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8