Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do I provoke a chained necro to raise bodies (and parts thereof)?  (Read 2103 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I provoke a chained necro to raise bodies (and parts thereof)?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 03:35:02 pm »

Add that arena as a tavern just for the lols and see how visitors react.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 02:06:45 am »

I've had about 5 visitors to my fortress, and none in the last few years, so adding a tavern zone would definitely rank in the BAD IDEA category...

Edit:
No joy. I tried releasing an undead in the chamber and a troll test subject from the north. The troll was killed and the undead was eventually let out to be recaged. This was witnessed by the aggro gobbo as well as the necro. Then DF went belly up.
Restarting I instead replaced the aggro gobbo with a militia dorf, released the test subject from the north (but no undead in the chamber), but again, nothing is raised (and more test subjects shouldn't even have been needed, as there are remains from two previous ones in the chamber).

I also witnessed another "stumbling obliviously" episode from the chained gobbo. Again, it recovered but remains haggard.

Edit 2:
I've now got an aggro gobbo, a necro on the other side, a bunch of troll parts in the arena, and I've released both a second necro and a goblin invasion troll in the arena. The result: nothing. The troll is not fighting the necro.

I also tried replacing the aggro gobbo in the end setup with a militia dorf, but that just resulted in the troll rushing around overcome with terror (but civvie haulers get scared by either the troll or the necro, I didn't particularly pay attention at this stage of frustration).

So, what would scare necros into "fighting"? Militia doesn't seem to work, nor invader trolls or invader gobbos...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:49:30 am by PatrikLundell »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:45 am »

Put kids or civs + no weapon gobbo in arena with corpses, that is full view via window of both necro and military?

Wait, do your body parts have grasping or mouth at least?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 11:34:51 am »

There are at least two hands lying about, as well as the corpses they came from (and no lose heads, so they should still be attached to the corpses).

I fail to understand why civvies would be more of a threat than militia? Do you mean a gobbo might attack the kids which might aggro the militia which might cause the necro to feel threatened? I'm afraid my dorfs are too precious to risk (they're all that exists of the dead civ).

I assume the troll is another case of the "friendly troll" bug, but since neither a gobbo invader nor a militiadorf seems to aggro a necro, I don't know what would short of actually attacking the necro (while that might work, the necro would be single use).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »

I am basing it on Staalo's observation from the day care thead.
He used kids + hostile, but the kids did not attack. 
He then parked a militia with los, and the kids started attacking.
He then added a necro with los and it raises downed zombies and hostiles with no issue.

edit link here
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:03:24 pm by Sanctume »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 03:36:59 am »

Just read the Staalo post, and in that case the necro raised things while chained, and the militia was used to aggro the "trainers". I'd say my necros are broken somehow, and it doesn't help with invaders who're not willing to attack necros, even when "supervised" by a militia member.
As far as I saw from that post, the issue was not with raising, but with aggroing the "trainers". The main difference I see is that Staalo used "trainers" collected from the caverns, while I try to use gobbo invaders.

Hm, VERY interesting: The haggard chained gobbo destroyed the chain it was hooked up to and before I had it killed it was "Throwing a tantrum".

Weird: I've finally succeeded, but it's about the 5:th time I've done the same thing. I was planning to release a troll and a necro in the arena, and in preparation for that I released the necro observer and the aggro gobbo in the observation rooms, and for some reason the necro did raise the troll parts. I have no idea what differs this attempt from the previous ones...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 09:35:11 am »

Your gobbo broke the chain he is restrained in?  I did not think that was possible. 

It sounds like your gobbo is acting like a visitor, having all these feelings and stresses.

The necro is acting as non-hostile while in chain? But becomes hostile when it is free of restrains but still controlled via room and locked door.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 10:22:11 am »

The gobbo did destroy the chain, and I think it was a tantrum destruction, so yes, it acted as a visitor from a mood perspective, but still as an invader in that any civilian seeing it (including the one chaining it up) runs away at top speed. The chain was a bronze one, so it should be too strong for a mere gobbo to break with force, even if that was possible.

The one necro I have chained doesn't scare anyone, nor does it raise corpses. A different one contained in an observation room failed to raise corpses a lot of times when mutually viewing a gobbo aggro observer, including when invader trolls were let into the areana to be butchered by the trap.
A necro released together with an invader troll in the arena with corpses present and a gobbo aggro observer did not raise any corpses (and the troll wasn't aggressive either).
Finally going back to the mutual observation situation, minus the trap which was removed before the troll/necro suspicions stare competition, suddenly resulted in raised troll parts, and I have no idea what's different.
Unfortunately, I let an ogre in to fight the troll parts, and the ogre has been unconscious most of the time for over a season without the troll parts managing to hurt it further. A save scummed attempt to clear out the mess with the "militia" (with gobbo and necro observers removed) resulted in 2-3 dead dorfs before the troll head finally was caved in (a brief look saw two obsidian short sword attacks pass right through the head).

I'm now considering pelting the head with bone bolts for a few years, alternatively doing the same with the ogre (expecting the "victorious" side to exit the arena into the weapon trap followed by cage traps).

(BTW, the ogres are LARGE: I was wondering why the elven caravan got severely overloaded (5000+) with essentially just goblinite clothing, and not much at that, and then found the ogre leather cloaks weighing in at 270 or so. That also explained why haulers were so sluggish just moving pieces of clothing...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 11:10:14 am »

I wonder if necromancer has skills up too like novice to legendary "raising dead." 
Pages: 1 [2]