Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: That Moment... When  (Read 3174 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: That Moment... When
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »

Yeah, but whether or not the baby is blended is what WWIII may hinge on. Please note this is not a literal statement.

I did not mean to derail this thread. Sometimes I don't think very far ahead.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:48:07 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 07:49:37 pm »

Yeah, but whether or not the baby is blended is what WWIII may hinge on. Please note this is not a literal statement.
You are just fine brother dwarf.

Blend or microwave?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:00:56 pm by Killgoth »

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »

You are just fine brother dwarf.

Blend or microwave?
The moment when this topic took a sharp deturn....not for the worse though. That would imply that these tend to NOT happen...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 10:51:07 am »

The moment you read "blend or microwave" and applied dwarf logic and design 5z drop onto 10 serrated disc weapon trap on platinum floor, or profiled magma-safe lever pull opens door release pressurized magma cannon into the lever room that self drains and resets magma cannon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 12:05:20 pm »

That moment when something something something The real question is "Can you submerge a metal box in magma and roast anything inside".
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 01:39:30 pm »

Nope. We have tried with both cages and minecarts; it's as safe as minecarts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 01:41:11 pm »

No like a constructed enclosed square made of say, metal walls. Will the heat build up inside if there is magma on all sides?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 02:23:53 pm »

No like a constructed enclosed square made of say, metal walls. Will the heat build up inside if there is magma on all sides?

i dont think thats how heat works, im pretty sure that any tile underground is at a fixed temperature unless fire or magma also occupies the space.
otherwise wouldent a floor over magma heat up and eventully kill the dwarves?
i have a magma forge built over the magma sea so if heat radiates, it cant travel vertically.
though this is something that should be tested. preferably with a vampire (the non blood sucking variety) as to rule out death by starvation or dehydration. werebeasts would heal once a month from any possible "heat damage" and might render the test invalid
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 02:51:23 pm »

i dont think thats how heat works, im pretty sure that any tile underground is at a fixed temperature unless fire or magma also occupies the space.
otherwise wouldent a floor over magma heat up and eventully kill the dwarves?
i have a magma forge built over the magma sea so if heat radiates, it cant travel vertically.
though this is something that should be tested. preferably with a vampire (the non blood sucking variety) as to rule out death by starvation or dehydration. werebeasts would heal once a month from any possible "heat damage" and might render the test invalid

I shall test this in a volcano embark. I remember seeing other threads recently that insinuate that this is a possibility.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 03:08:49 pm »

Heat does radiate, but in my experience magma can only melt water 1 tile above or to the sides; expect perhaps when pumped in for magma-wall-ice configuration.

If you looked at your magma forges with dfhack, steel jackal, you'd notice their temperature was at 41.9°C. This is also why in scorching biomes you might still get too hot floor when no magma is present on it.

And no, you can't melt ice with steel minecart filled with magma. I tested :(

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 03:54:36 pm »

Heat does radiate, but in my experience magma can only melt water 1 tile above or to the sides; expect perhaps when pumped in for magma-wall-ice configuration.

If you looked at your magma forges with dfhack, steel jackal, you'd notice their temperature was at 41.9°C. This is also why in scorching biomes you might still get too hot floor when no magma is present on it.

And no, you can't melt ice with steel minecart filled with magma. I tested :(

havent used dfhack since 0.39.X (or was it 0.40.X?) since i cant seem to find dfhack for the latest versions.

also, if heat only radiates one tile then that would mean that walls would protect people from the heat of magma, since only tiles directly adjacent to the magma would be heated
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 04:02:17 pm »

If it radiates to the tile above to the point where it can heat water, a floor would not protect.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 08:18:04 pm »

If it radiates to the tile above to the point where it can heat water, a floor would not protect.
It doesn't get hot enough for fat to start melting. Above body temperature, but still perfectly safe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 11:26:28 am »

that moment when... one of my artifacts is jeweled with an image of another of my artifacts that is jeweled with yet another one of my artifacts
the warhammer so badass it shoots bolts (a platinum crossbow) jeweled with the image of gabbro floodgate jeweled with the image of an iron chestplate
One word for you, just one word:

Planestacked.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:50 am »

You could probably build a small room over a pool of magma with a one tile hole in the center. Then channel a hole in the roof directly over the whole in the room and designate it as a garbage dump.

A sock dropped into the magma would cause magma mist to generate and incinerate anything in the small room it touches...a potentially slow burning death x_X.

Edit***for safety of non-prisoners it might be best to make it a very high ceiling. I have also not personally designed a trap like this, I just think it might work based on using magma tubes for dumping and several unfortunate accidents involving workers attempting to build flooring over parts of the tube.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:49:18 am by Killgoth »
Pages: 1 [2] 3