Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob here, need help with world gen.  (Read 1608 times)

Cows_n_Muffins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob here, need help with world gen.
« on: July 20, 2016, 06:25:44 pm »

Hello all, this is my first time posting on the DF forum, so sorry in advance if this post is in the wrong place.

I need help with world gen.
My primary objective is to generate a world with enough evil and savagery so I can embark in a terrifying biome, with neighbors of humans, elves, dwarves, goblins, and a tower, and frequent minerals.

I've been trying to generate a worlds via standard generation,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but alas Armok has not blessed me with an evil enough world in about about a dozen tries. Undaunted, I tried creating an advanced world with lots of secrets(200), as the all knowing wiki told me that this results in more towers spawning in the world. First attempt, has resulted in ALL oceans turning into warm/scorching Hanted/Terrifying oceans at about year 70. I have no idea what happened, perhaps one of the secrets was a necromancers book focused around global warming. If anyone has really good Legend Mode skills to figure out what happened, just let me know what you need and I will try to provide it. I tried poking around but found nothing useful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interestingly enough, the northern region "ocean" is now just a plane of snow with ice beneath it. Even though it does not state that there is ice in the region on the embark screen, and the embark option is grayed out as in the screenshot above. I tried embarking a 5x5 region on half glacier half ocean, to ungrey the embark button, and my dwarves spawned on the top of the ocean surface that is now just snow covered ice. Embarking in a more temperate region, the ocean water was still liquid.

Anyway, does anyone have any advanced world generation tips on what I need to increase/decrease to match the params I'm trying to get with normal world gen? Again, my primary objective is to generate a world with enough evil and savagery and secrets so I can embark in a terrifying biome, with neighbors of humans, elves, dwarves, goblins, and a tower, and frequent minerals.

Thank you in advance for any help.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Noob here, need help with world gen.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »

This one, and this one may help you.  But if not, post in the worldgen cookbook thread for 43.03+ and I'll make something specific.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 06:56:33 pm »

I have used this for years: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation

Use it as a guide while you set your worlds up and it will help a great deal.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:41:08 am »

Change savagery mesh size to 1,1,1,1,10 for large numbers of savage biomes. Put the 'desired evil square count' extremely high (we're talking values of 1000+ here). You'll get lots of worlds with no appropriate mountains at all, but every once in a while a mountain will be both non-evil and non-savage, allowing dwarves to settle. If that happens, you can play fortress mode.

Cows_n_Muffins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:30 am »

Change savagery mesh size to 1,1,1,1,10 for large numbers of savage biomes. Put the 'desired evil square count' extremely high (we're talking values of 1000+ here). You'll get lots of worlds with no appropriate mountains at all, but every once in a while a mountain will be both non-evil and non-savage, allowing dwarves to settle. If that happens, you can play fortress mode.

I'll give that a shot. I also made a post on the cook book thread. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158646.msg7100854#msg7100854