Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 49783 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2016, 04:34:41 pm »

I am shocked to hear that there are a lot of legal cases where people KNOW the people making the claim don't have a leg to stand on... But where they hope that no one has the balls, time, or money to be able to contest it.

For example Happy Birthday... Everyone knew they didn't own it. Yet to simply pay the royalties is MANY times cheaper than to sue them for claiming ownership of a property they do not have the rights to.

It is why I am glad, but saddened, that there are groups out there whose soul purpose is to sue companies and people for these kinds of stuff...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2016, 10:45:43 pm »

Ok last post before I consider this all bumped out until someone posts.

One thing I always wondered is why people are so against the concept of Gunkata.

Now for those who don't know I am going to give the basic idea which is that it is Pistol Martial arts.

I understand that the movie that "invented" it gave it a rather poor representation but it did include a description. It was basically a martial art created specifically for the pistol so that the person could make the most accurate and efficient movements for it possible AND includes how to fight with a pistol in point blank.

It isn't even a unique concept in real life. There are martial arts that exist specifically for fighting hand to hand with rifles. As well using weapons in odd ways to fit a situation exists as well such as Side-ways pistol for Shields (It is the only time the sideways pistol is considered necessary).

Couldn't people just relax the definition so it wasn't so beholden to the original depiction?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:21 pm »

Maybe for the same reason as the dislike for swordguns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:45 pm »

Maybe for the same reason as the dislike for swordguns.

Because they don't know they actually existed and had a pretty important purpose?

Or because they are represented by Squall?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:07 pm »

Ugh I am stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place

So Divinity Original Sin 2 is a game I kickstarted and one of its original salespitch is that you can give your characters a backstory. This will effect things like NPCs, locations, and what have you being linked directly to it. You could stumble upon your childhood home with your butler and pet dog.

HOWEVER... So far in the kickstarter the only REAL backgrounds (They have "Generic" which is essentially having no background) are pre-generated characters you cannot edit. Something somewhat antithetical to the original pitch that no one would have been down for if they just gone out and said it.

So I, who are on their forums, are basically asking them if that is all there is.

But the issue is... IF the only origins we get are pre-generated characters. Then it is in their best interest to never EVER answer me truthfully in order to purposely obfuscate the answer as long as possible and draw people into the misleading BS feature.

Don't get me wrong I understand not everything at the start of a kickstarter can be done and some of it is concepts... But when they are STILL carrying this detail around as if it is still 100% true I kind of want an answer... Even if it is "We do not know"

---

Also am I the only person in the world who really REALLY doesn't like Protein powder?

Every single thing it gets added to either tastes odd or like they added chalk dust to the mix.

Yet apparently it is supposed to taste good?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:30:55 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:07 pm »

That's an odd couple of complaints about protein powder.

For a start the stuff isn't intended for "taste" but to boost the amount of protein in your diet in an easily-digested format.

Secondly, "chalk dust" sounds like a weird complaint because you're meant to dissolve that stuff in cold water to make drinks. Most people prefer the chocolate variants for that reason, and that stuff doesn't taste much different to any other chocolate milk mix.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:47:16 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:16 pm »

Most of my experience with Protein powder are from either
a) Smoothies which USUALLY taste horrible... mostly from the protein powder
and
b) "Healthy" foods... One was a meal replacement bar and another was a "health conscious snack" both with featured Protein powder as the ingredient.

Yet everyone who ate those healthy foods said they tasted fine... while I found it tasted chalky

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2016, 06:59:31 am »

Why would you mix protein powder in milk, though? Mill is already nature's protein drink. Just have a second glass of milk if you need more protein.
Love, scriver~

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2016, 09:53:52 am »

Milk really doesn't have that much protein in it... especially if you are lactose intolerant and drink skim milk.

Also, apparently Neonivek is a fine connoisseur of chalk.... neat.
Nom nom nom

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2016, 10:56:17 am »

It's not the amount per liter that matters, it's the proportion of proteins vs sugars vs fats

Milk powder (fat or skim) has ~53% sugars and 35% protein, by weight. Good protein powers are usually 70+% protein by weight. So 2 scoops of milk powder is the same amount of protein as 1 scoop of protein powder, and a hell of a lot cheaper. But you have to be lactose tolerant and also balance those sugars out in your diet. It's much easier to do with the concentrate. Also, using milk to bump up the protein levels to the point where bodybuilders need it means you're absorbing tons more sodium compared to the equivalent amount of protein powder.

Why would you mix protein powder in milk, though? Mill is already nature's protein drink. Just have a second glass of milk if you need more protein.

Protein powder is whey concentrate. Whey concentrate is much faster to absorb, so they use it after workouts. The main scientific reason (though a lot of people use it without understanding it) is not "bulk up quickly" but to prevent the catabolic breakdown of muscles which happens in the aftermath of heavy workouts where your muscle glycogen stores are depleted: by drinking a mix of rapid-absorbing sugars (best: glucose) and proteins it minimizes the time that your muscles are in a catabolic state, thus keeping up the muscles you're trying to build. Knowing what it's for, you can realize you don't actually need that much whey powder or that often. Only when you're working out. Use other cheaper and slow-absorbing proteins at other times. e.g. casein (from milk, or better cottage cheese) is a good choice before bedtime, because it is slow absorbing and avoids your muscles depleting overnight due to catabolic effects.

So that's why whey powder exists and what the real purpose of it is for. Whey is the fastest absorbing protein available. Given that, why put milk in it is the question. Because (1) it tastes better. (2) they're a different type of protein with very different metabolism. Milk = casein (slow release), prot.powder = whey (fast release). The fast-release protein is to restore muscle nutrition more quickly after workouts. The slow-release protein is to maintain long-term muscle development. Mixing the two types in post-workout drinks seems to be the most effective choice according to a number of studies.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:12:17 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2016, 11:53:58 am »

All I'm seeing is an argument for drinking more milk before you train.

especially if you are lactose intolerant and drink skim milk.

Oh you poor soul :(
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2016, 03:11:00 am »

I find it odd that "One World Government" is often used as a bad thing (mostly because well... It is included as one of the signs of the apocalypse)

Yet most of the arguments against it seems to be "Well it can be done badly" and it is kind of a "yeah... of course it can"

But I never get a concrete reason why it is a bad thing inherently.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:34 am »

Bluntly?  Tribalism and short-sightedness.

Eventually (barring catastrophic breakdowns) all culture will homogenize due to continuous contact, thereby dissolving the primary barriers to unified world government, but in the short-term regional/ethnic/religious borders are not going away.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2016, 03:41:08 am »

The road to world governance doesn't look like the doomsayers say anyway. Regional blocs grow up, treaties form, etc. It's a gradual thing, it's not armies of "foreigners" coming to take over. And the USA wouldn't be under the thumb of this: just like the UN, they'd pretty much run the show. The main thing Americans don't like about the UN is that Americans have to listen to other people some of the time.

Just going to mention Unasur again, which is like the EU for South America. It's interesting because there's a complete media blackout on it's existence in the American media. I outlined the times nytimes mentioned the thing in this post:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147340.msg7042086#msg7042086

Two short mentions of Unasur while it was being created. Then once it actually became a reality, a literal 4 year media silence on the topic. After that the term "unasur" trickled out a few times, as a side note in unrelated stories, with literally zero reference to what it's all about. One time it was accidentally mentioned because the times printed a tweet that was in Spanish, which they clearly couldn't read. And that one tweet makes up a fair chunk of their coverage of UNASUR ;D

The fact is, UNASUR is like the EU + NATO for South America, with it's own President, and working towards a parliament and single Latin American currency. Clearly not as important as knowing what Kim Kardashian is up to, who got mentioned 1000+ times in the same period.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:00:53 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2016, 07:24:27 am »

Democracy functions best with small groups with a shared identity, shared intentions and aspirations, and shared attitudes and morals. The larger a democracy becomes the worse it would be off. The USA is a very good example of this.

Of course, you could make the case that a World Government wouldn't necessarily have to be democratic. But then you've pretty much answered the question of "why don't people like one world governments" themselves.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24