Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)  (Read 49779 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek and Friend's Musings (Bad Ideas Ahoy!)
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2016, 12:31:58 pm »

My favorite take on human sacrifice as a method of staving off the apocalypse is The Wicker Man.

Though that does bring to mind Life Is Strange as well. You ever check that out, Neon? Not the kind of storyline you mean, really, but with certain common elements.

I've seen it but unfortunately the Sacrifice has a huge glaring problem with how the story is told...

Namely the problem only exists due to the apathy of the main character. It is honestly the one thing that makes the story... not that good.

That and age old "Time Travel activates final destination" but that is more narrative causality.

Though I honestly think it could have been fixed. It suggests that they either changed the script while making the game, or forced a plot development saved for WAY later into the start of the game to entice people to buy the other episodes.

Namely

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:35:06 pm by Neonivek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2016, 12:49:12 pm »

Namely

Well,

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:53:50 pm by Harry Baldman »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2016, 12:59:13 pm »

Except the big flaw is

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2016, 01:03:09 pm »

To that I would ask,

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2016, 01:23:04 pm »

To that I would ask,

Ok how about

Don't get me wrong it is an excellent game! but goodness is this the one black mark that prevents me from honestly calling it a "Great game".

Though maybe I should lower my standards since all Quantic Dreams games break down into incomprehensible nonsense... and frankly this is no where close to as bad as that.

Then again... this is my "Great game" standard... as in the game I'd use as an example of the best a genre can provide... and GOODNESS with that plot hiccup...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:05:32 pm by Neonivek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2016, 02:04:57 pm »

Ok how about

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2016, 02:09:07 pm »

Personally I got the impression that

And... it CAN work. Though I like my "They weren't planning on revealing it that early" theory more...

Since honestly the game is immediately improved 10 fold if you just eliminate that starting intro. Like really every single problem with the game? fixed.

Well ok... Final Destination and all that... but ehh that is a lot more bearable.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:12:33 pm by Neonivek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2016, 02:25:41 pm »

Personally I got the impression that

And... it CAN work. Though I like my "They weren't planning on revealing it that early" theory more...

Since honestly the game is immediately improved 10 fold if you just eliminate that starting intro. Like really every single problem with the game? fixed.

Well ok... Final Destination and all that... but ehh that is a lot more bearable.

But yeah, I guess it comes down to what feels right in the end. Felt pretty sensible to me how things developed overall, and there definitely is the possibility that many of the implications of what's shown are actually accidental and I'm reading too far into things. But I had fun with it regardless.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2016, 02:30:49 pm »

I played with someone who got sad everytime they failed to save a bird, in a game where birds dying is a theme.

It was funny :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2016, 06:35:29 pm »

I think Fallout Shelter (a IOS game... but basically what I call a "Facebook game") is probably one of the saddest games I ever played.

In that it has some very good concepts and ideas right down to having each "dweller" have a specific array of Special stats.

Why is it so sad?

Because honestly... This deserves to be a REAL game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »

Bethesda would have you believe that FO4 is that game. :P
But it's not, of course.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »

Bethesda would have you believe that FO4 is that game. :P
But it's not, of course.

Is it sad that I think Fallout Shelter is a better colony management game then... Fallout 4s colony management?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »

Yup. You're not wrong though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2016, 07:38:13 am »

Re: magical mysteries from a while back you should also remember that your culprit may be able to do things that aren't possible in the real world to help even the score. Like maybe the bad guy is obvious but can't arrest him until you figure out which combination of spells he used to create an apparently airtight alibi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2016, 01:05:07 pm »

Ok I am enamored or I guess fascinated would be more accurate by one kind of videogame.

It is those that put the gameplay as its secondary goal to its theme.

Now I am not referring to MMOs or even Storybased games (though some are). But rather there are two specific types of games I am referring to.

1) Simulation games: Most of these are exclusively classic games from at most the 1990s, though there are ones that exist after that point, and while many of them aren't part of the "Simulation genre" they still take pages from it and want to actually simulate its topic. Now I am not going to lie the REAL reason most of these are classic games is because what makes a fun game was pretty much pure speculation at this point so they went "Well, Cops are cool. What about a game where you are a cop?" So it is more incidental then anything else. Heck some of the more fondly remembered games like SimCity were outright intended as simulation quasi-educational games that just HAPPENED to be good.

2) Art Games: My personal definition of an art game is a game where the "art" is more important than the gameplay and where this is noticeable. Now I won't lie, the vast majority of these are tripe and the way I put it is if you could fit the entire game on a post-it note, then start over.

I'll continue this post later with notable examples...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24