Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having trouble seeing what is highlighted in menu  (Read 1441 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having trouble seeing what is highlighted in menu
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:00:41 am »

I don't know if it's the latest update, or if it's the new computer I built, but I can barely tell the difference between the shade of white for highlighted things. Does anyone have a way to fix this?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble seeing what is highlighted in menu
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:12:06 am »

Screenshot?

Fixing...Perhaps by increasing screen contrast, or by altering /data/init/colors.txt to have higher difference between white and light gray.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:23:44 am »

Not my screenshot but here is an image. When you enlarge the image it is hard to see. I have adjusted my brightness and such, but that didn't help. I'm starting to think it has to do with the resolution, is there a way I can change JUST the resolution of DF's interface and not my desktop resolution?

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/229121/menu-selector-is-impossible-to-distinguish-by-colour
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:30:15 am by Micro102 »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:52:51 am »

Using your scroll wheel on a mouse can change the size of the individual squares, if that is what you are looking for.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:11 am »

I don't see an image?

You can also use a tileset to change the size and look of tiles used for both text and play area.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:29:59 am »

I don't see an image?

You can also use a tileset to change the size and look of tiles used for both text and play area.

Whoops! Was so caught up in my epiphany about resolution that I forgot to post the image. Fixed.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:40:30 am »

SFAICT, the "Rain" option that I think is the one you are refering to as highlighted is clearly highlit upon my screen both in the eventual original real-scale image when I click on the embedded version and even the slightly size-reduced one (to fit upon the page) that first presents itself, even though the pixel reduction makes it difficult to read the word itself.

If I'm not looking at the wrong thing, consider searching out contrast controls for your particular monitor, perhaps.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:42:02 am by Starver »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 08:40:50 pm »

SFAICT, the "Rain" option that I think is the one you are refering to as highlighted is clearly highlit upon my screen both in the eventual original real-scale image when I click on the embedded version and even the slightly size-reduced one (to fit upon the page) that first presents itself, even though the pixel reduction makes it difficult to read the word itself.

If I'm not looking at the wrong thing, consider searching out contrast controls for your particular monitor, perhaps.

I have tried all controls dealing with color/light on my monitor, so I know it's not that. I seemed that changing the size of the UI barely helped. However changing the light gray color to 150/150/150 made it look much better.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:43:22 pm by Micro102 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 10:24:15 pm »

This is the custom color scheme I use, if it helps:
Code: (colors.txt) [Select]
These are the display colors in RGB.  The game is actually displaying extended ASCII characters in OpenGL, so you can modify the colors.

[BLACK_R:0]
[BLACK_G:0]
[BLACK_B:0]
[BLUE_R:0]
[BLUE_G:0]
[BLUE_B:255]
[GREEN_R:0]
[GREEN_G:128]
[GREEN_B:0]
[CYAN_R:0]
[CYAN_G:128]
[CYAN_B:128]
[RED_R:128]
[RED_G:0]
[RED_B:0]
[MAGENTA_R:128]
[MAGENTA_G:0]
[MAGENTA_B:128]
[BROWN_R:128]
[BROWN_G:128]
[BROWN_B:0]
[LGRAY_R:160]
[LGRAY_G:160]
[LGRAY_B:160]
[DGRAY_R:96]
[DGRAY_G:96]
[DGRAY_B:96]
[LBLUE_R:0]
[LBLUE_G:96]
[LBLUE_B:255]
[LGREEN_R:0]
[LGREEN_G:255]
[LGREEN_B:0]
[LCYAN_R:0]
[LCYAN_G:255]
[LCYAN_B:255]
[LRED_R:255]
[LRED_G:0]
[LRED_B:0]
[LMAGENTA_R:255]
[LMAGENTA_G:0]
[LMAGENTA_B:255]
[YELLOW_R:255]
[YELLOW_G:255]
[YELLOW_B:0]
[WHITE_R:255]
[WHITE_G:255]
[WHITE_B:255]
Both the grays and blues have been tweaked for visibility.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?