Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help tracking down a shrieking night troll? Will resort to memory hacking, even!  (Read 927 times)

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The trail will sometimes end abruptly; I continue on to find it resumes a distance away...
But now I've been following shrieking troll tracks in circles! D:

PS: No prior experience of memory hacking whatsoever

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

For in-game tracking I like to alternate between both slow and fast travel modes, with tracking active and checking for strongest odor (death/bug innards) in both modes. Alternating can help to pick up where a trail leaves off. This is well-used in conjunction with stripping the map (canvasing) once you've a notion of where to search. You can take a section of the world map and strip, say left to right tile by tile, then move up/down by one tile and strip again until that section has been scoured. You may or may not find the lair of said night troll in this way. Some of the time, the troll you're seeking will be a static asterisk on the world map rather than located in its lair.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:45:57 am by peasant cretin »

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

static asterisk

Wait, so it'll be staying in one place then?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

Yup. Some night trolls are roaming asterisks. Some are in a lair. Some appear to be set by world gen to be that static asterisk.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AAAAAAARGH followed your advice, Shift+O smelt cooked flesh on the wind, Shift+W said the wind was coming from the West, followed iot, FOUND HER

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

That's awesome  :)

Also, huge thanks for the your detail as I've never used the wind to check direction of odor! I usually just alternate betw. modes and zero in like that. Wind! Birds know!

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup, my first experience with smell on the wind (after your mentioning of checking odour) was when I encountered a goblin patrol.

The wind came from the west.

So when we were in this position, with me further westwards and the goblin eastwards:

---> wind
..pu..
---> wind

I smelt nothing.
But the moment I got on his other side:

---> wind
..up..
---> wind

"Strongest Odor: Goblin" (OvO)-b

I'd guess the stronger the wind is, the further away from the smelly thing you can pick up the scent.