Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice Released!  (Read 3916 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice in 2 Weeks
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »

You can actually see what they've done to fix that in the demo. If you get one of the Insight sections wrong a couple of times an optional hint option appears at the bottom of the screen. You don't really get any hints other than that.
Is that what happened? I thought I was completely missing a button. I kept trying to pursue the fact that the song thing was a warmup or whatever since that was the insight that changed, but after failing that a few times I clicked that button because I hadn't noticed it and it led me in the right direction. I wonder how obvious they make the hints in the actual game.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 08:42:35 pm »

I didn't notice it before, maybe it's always around. Anyway the point is it makes the hints optional which is good.

The demo did have an ambiguity problem though which I thought DD was very good at avoiding.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:32 pm »

Sometimes you have to view the problems from the dev's perspective. They don't always see things the way the player does, which is why there's sometimes these weird bounds in logic.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice Today!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »

The game's out! Well, it's been out for a while, but I only just had time to bump the thread :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 04:15:17 pm »

Important note: there is a free costume DLC for the first week. Hell yes am I going to play this entire game as Furio Tigre.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 09:42:15 pm »

Did they replace ramen with hamburgers in the US version or something? I wouldn't be surprised.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 11:55:15 pm »

Did they replace ramen with hamburgers in the US version or something? I wouldn't be surprised.
Yep; Maya's favorite food in the Japanese version was ramen, and burgers in the US version.  Some of the cultural "translations" have been mocked here and there.

Also...

EDIT: Also, thanks for the heads-up on the DLC.  I wouldn't have even realized there was Day 1 Free DLC for this game if you hadn't pointed it out, Leafsnail.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:09:37 am by Culise »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice Released!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 07:11:56 pm »

I got to Case 4 today, currently working through the (first?) Mood Matrix segment.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 11:16:35 pm »

Also, I think someone on the writing staff has it in for a very certain cravat.  I don't know why it always amuses me so.  :3

EDIT: Signs your parents may not like you: when your full name is Inga Karkhuul Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III.  Well, even for a Khura'inese name pun?  Datz Are'bal. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:51:40 pm by Culise »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 07:02:10 pm »

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »

Man "Revisualization" is a simple mechanic but I think it really helps make the end of the trial more exciting. The end of case 3 one was really cool.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »

The Great Ace Attorney 2 ~ The Enlightenment of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou confirmed.
Is that the sequel to the one we didn't get the first one of for some reason?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 10:40:58 pm »

The Great Ace Attorney 2 ~ The Enlightenment of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou confirmed.
Is that the sequel to the one we didn't get the first one of for some reason?
Yeah, this is the sequel to Dai Gyakuten Saiban: The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, the one with Sherlock Holmes and the not!vampire prosecutor.

I once wrote a couple paragraphs on Reddit about why the first one didn't get localized, and I don't want to track down the post or rewrite the whole thing, so, to paraphrase:

The first and foremost reason is likely actually the prevalent anti-Japanese racism of several characters. Some of it is rather low-key (like Tobias Gregson grumpily stating that all Japanese look the same to him), but certain characters (such as one in the first case) are rather aggressive about it, and then there's gems like Juror #1 in Case 3 calling Ryuunosuke a "yellow devil" and accusing him of using "oriental black magic" to get an edge in the trial. Of course, this is more for historical accuracy than some sort of weird self-hatred, but in this day and age Capcom is probably wary of some schmuck picking it up and thinking that they've got something against Japan.

Other possible reasons include:
-It's a niche title in a niche series. It was worth it in Japan because AA is a pretty decent seller in Japan and they could afford a weird old-timey spinoff title, but in the West, from Capcom's eyes, it's like trying to sell an American political miniseries in Madagascar. OK, maybe that was a hyperbole, but you get the picture.
-Wanting to avoid Investigations 2 syndrome. If the first one had lukewarm sales, then they wouldn't want to translate the second one. Problem is, DGS1 has a ton of unresolved plot points (among other things, [you never even find out the first killer's motive],) and it would be an extreme outlier in the series if the sequel wasn't localized.
-Focusing on translating Spirit of Justice. I hear that Janet Hsu tends to take six to eight months to localize a game, so she almost certainly had her hands full this past year.
-Avoiding clashes with the Conan Doyle estate over American production rights. They have something of a reputation for chasing down unauthorized Holmes stuff and using the last ten or so stories published (still under US copyright) as leverage.

There's this common misconception that the game is somehow "too Japanese to translate", or that Capcom is using that as an excuse. All of one case, the first case, occurs in Japan; 3/5 of the rest of the game is set in London (there's one case on an international steamship.) That case isn't even nearly as Japanese as SoJ case 4, and a Westerner could understand the thing with no "(translator's note: keikaku means plan)" moments at all.

If you're interested in DGS1, there's an excellent subtitled Let's Play of the game on Youtube. The game is great; it's a lot of fun to just watch, the courtroom antics are just as great as ever, and there's this insanely cool mechanic where Ryu points out contradictions in Sherlock Holmes' deductions. It's just as funny as any other Ace Attorney game; in particular there's a lot of great Sherlock Holmes references (my favorite is the scene where Holmes' ridiculous theory from "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" story gets torn apart.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3