Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice Released!  (Read 3918 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice Released!
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:03:59 am »

For those of you not in the know, Ace Attorney (Gyakuten Saiban, or Turnabout Trial in Japan) is a visual novel series concerning the objectionable adventures of Phoenix Wright, a spiky-haired attorney who totally lives in the United States, as he solves murder mysteries with wit, cunning, and a mean pointer finger. There are 6 main series games, as well as four spinoffs, two of which are about Phoenix's rival Miles Edgeworth, one of which is a crossover with Professor Layton, and one of which recounts the adventures of Phoenix's ancestor, a law exchange student in Victorian London.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice, the sixth main series game, is coming out in the US and in Europe this September. In it, Phoenix travels to Khura'in, a kingdom in Asia where spirit channeling is used to solve crimes and defense attorneys are outlawed, while Apollo and Athena stay home in Los Angeles to solve cases there. It's getting pretty positive reviews over in Japan and the soundtrack also totally rocks. Get and discuss hype here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:50:44 am by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice in 2 Months
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 12:34:36 am »

While I'm pleased to hear about this, this news makes it seem like a Western release of the adventures of Victorian Phoenix and Sherlock Holmes is less likely to be in the cards.  A shame about those unspecified "certain circumstances;" they always seem to strike when you wish for them the least.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 12:47:48 am »

Aye, it seems Dai Gyakuten Saiban is headed the way of Investigations 2. At the very least, there is an excellent subtitled LP on Youtube.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:43 am »

Did they ever finish the translation on investigations 2?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 07:41:58 am »

The fan translation's been out for a while, I believe. I haven't played it yet because my 2006 computer can barely handle emulating DS games, but from what I've heard it's a pretty good, relatively professional translation (i.e. it keeps up the style of the official translations and doesn't fall into the classic fanslation blunders like making everyone swear all the time or "keikaku means plan" syndrome,) and the game itself is extremely good even for an Ace Attorney game and supposedly fixes most of the problems with Investigations 1. Plus there's Edgeworth having arguments in the chess dimension, so that's cool too.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:51:22 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 02:11:17 pm »

I think Investigations 2 is the best game in the series, definitely worth playing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 04:16:47 pm »

So, the Spirit of Justice demo is coming out tomorrow. Who's planning on getting it?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Ace Attorney Thread: Spirit of Justice in 2 Weeks
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »

Eh, I'll just wait for the real thing. Pretty cool to play as Apollo again, I liked Apollo Justice a lot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:44:53 am »

I just finished the demo, and it was awesome. I really liked the Divination Seance feature; it's the Rise from the Ashes security tape done right.

It's been way too long since I've had new testimony to tear holes into.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »

It was much too short for my tastes; it barely sufficed to whet my appetite.  Still, it seems a bit promising.  Also, not enough wriggling hunks of plywood for the Rise from the Ashes security tape. :P

Spoiler: Demo spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:47:55 pm by Culise »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »

So I haven't played an Ace attorney game since Apollo Justice (which I don't think was as bad as people made it out to be?) and I tried the demo for this. It looks like it'll be pretty good just from the short demo. I just hope that there isn't as much.... I don't know how to describe it, but basically I hated how in Apollo Justice every time you used the perception thing the writing felt very unnatural, especially with how Apollo would go on about announcing how he did what he did to the court. I didn't really notice too much of that in the demo, but it's also possible they kept text to a minimum to keep things moving.

Anyways, is Dual Destinies worth getting? I kinda feel I should play that first if I'm actually missing out on something good, and I like playing things in sequence. It's just money has been tight for a long while soo...

E: I forgot to mention a few things I noticed that I liked. The animations are pretty good, I was worried that moving away from 2d art would make the animations terrible. I like when something changes in a seance insight it does a short animation showing what statement changed and what it changed to (presumably this is the case for cross examinations too, or I'd hope it is). The dumb jokes are about as Ace Attourney as ever. (Tempul Temple, I'mYourGuide, etc.) It looked almost like the investigation scenes have little animations instead of being static images now, at least it looked like it teased a scene like that.

You can't look at the back of your attorney badge anymore. 0/10
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:51:57 pm by OzyTheSage »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »

I liked Dual Destinies a lot. There's a slight style shift from the previous games but I think that was needed to some extent and it helped keep things fresh. The 3D sprites are well done and I think they actually do more with the animations than they used to. Plus, the new prosecutor owns

There are very rarely explicit plot links between Ace Attorney games but DD introduces Athena and the three attorney format they seem to be using going forwards.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 07:25:09 pm »

My only complaint with Dual Destinies was the constant hints your assistant gives you. Other than that, it was pretty good. Even more excited for Spirit of Justice, though; apparently they've deliberately tried to correct perceived issues with Dual Destinies, such as the aforementioned hand-holding and the fact you couldn't use Examine everywhere anymore. I recall hearing somewhere that Apollo gets to use Perceive in court again, which should be fun.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 07:53:27 pm »

You can actually see what they've done to fix that in the demo. If you get one of the Insight sections wrong a couple of times an optional hint option appears at the bottom of the screen. You don't really get any hints other than that.

Having fun flavor text again is good but I hope they don't reintroduce generalized pixel hunting, that definitely led to some of the lowlights of the original trilogy.
Pages: [1] 2 3