Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave river  (Read 992 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave river
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

Well, I just ran into my first cave river, and I am sorely disappointed. The long list of unseen dead critters, including cave crocodiles and olmmen, really set my expectations high. But when I finally found it, there was nothing in there but a couple of cave fish. I didn't even find any corpses. I guess they all fell into the mini-chasm that is the river's exit point.

Additionally, there is no dry land whatsoever in the river's cavern, so I guess I won't have an underground forest either. And my chasm (which was also hidden) is quite sparsely populated, too. The biggest threat my dwarves have right now is a single magma man that emerged from the magma pool I ran into. The only local threat left is hidden fun stuff, but I haven't started digging it out yet.

Anyway, is this the way cave rivers are supposed to be? Or did I just have bad luck and had one with a chasm that all it's inhabitants fell into and died?

I'm really thinking about abandoning this fort due to lack of local hostiles. I specifically searched with Regional Prospector for a place with plenty of baddies to keep me entertained, and now I'm sorely disappointed. The current fort doesn't have any iron, anyway (at least I haven't found any).

But before I embark again, I'd like some tips on finding features that are rich in bad guys. For example, do I need to select a cave river that has no ends in my fortress' local area, or will I lose frogmen even if there is no chasm for them to fall into?

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave river
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

Caves are normally the best places for hostiles, you can find some bye going to adventuring and talking to peasants and mayors etc.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

It sounds like you found a pretty bad-ass site, actually.  I've never found a cave river, and I have only found magma ounce.

That said, if you want lots of bad guys, you could try a terrifying region (purple areas) or just embark into the middle of a goblin fort.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Ma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

Yes, Barnardo's suggestions are good ones (although the goblin fort one is tough.    :D )

But you have been unlucky with your cave river, DJ. I don't know if the chasm was visible on the embark screen (although I suspect it was), but it seems one seeking challenge should avoid zones where cave rivers flow next to a chasm since it appears that the waterfalls cause great mortality among the underground aquatic critters.

(There is a thread somewhere about that : there it is).

You may give another try with another river.

About underground forests, you could try a cave lake. Those have an irregular shape and may give birth to tower caps on their banks, but nothing quite like a real underground forest.

However, you can farm tower caps after irrigating a dug area with (any) water after you discovered the cave river or lake.

Alas, farming is quite less entertaining than a good old fight with lizardmen.      :p

[ February 01, 2008: Message edited by: Maître Smaug Capello ]

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

My cave river in my first fort was almost completely empty.  It seemed that it dumped almost everything into the bottomless waterfall, leaving only a single frogman who escaped to murder my dwarves.  When I returned as an adventurer, apparently everything had respawned so for a while I couldn't take a step without a frogman/lizardman/mudman colliding with an obstacle.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

Oh yeah, I noticed tower caps spawning in my maintenance tunnel next to water intake. So I decided to dig out a forest chamber next to the river and flood it so I get mud (yeah, I know I could do it without flooding in soil, but this seems more right). And the whole cave got covered in cave spider silk! My cats killed a couple of the useful critters before I forbid them entrance, but their population seems OK. I just hope that flooding won't exterminate them.

Also, my queen arrived dressed as a peasant, dropped all her clothes upon entering the map and went to buy two socks and a dress. Does this mean economy has started? BTW, my fort is totally unprepared for the queen. The only metal I have in abundance is copper, and I don't think that'll do for royal furniture. I'm making some aluminium stuff, but it's taking ages for my dwarves to smelt more aluminium and furniture takes a lot of bars.

Anyway, I guess I won't just go and abandon this fort. I'll try to get it destroyed by hostile forces.

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...