Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Arcane Plane: Something Beyond  (Read 3392 times)

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Arcane Plane: Something Beyond
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:50:55 pm »

The Arcane Plane
"Something Beyond"

A random number of players will be selected to venture off into different types of worlds. Worlds they've seen before, and worlds where they haven't.

I'm back! There are specific rules that will be applied to this RTD.
  • Any time something threatens a player, the player makes one (or more, depending on the nature of the threat) dice rolls to dodge.
  • There can be any number of additional rolls for a dodge, as determined by the circumstances, and any skills or special effects applied to the player.
  • Actions are generally limited to a single action per turn (post).
  • You can spend your turn to help another player achieve his goal. If your roll is higher, it is taken as the success roll for the action.
  • You can also spend your turn to botch another player's action. If your roll is higher, its opposite is taken as the success roll for the action. Be aware, however, that all players are intended to be working as a team towards a common goal; this is a PvE game, not PvP.
  • In both cases, individual player rolls determine what happens to the players in the course of the action.
  • If you are unconscious or otherwise incapacitated, you have an automatic failguard; that is, you cannot roll a 1.
  • Turns will be whenever everyone gets their actions in, or when I get impatient, whichever comes first.
  • This game will be permadeath. Once you die, there is no coming back. On the plus side, this means that new players get opportunities to join as older ones die off.
  • This game will be using a 12-sided die and a 6-sided die for actions only.
    • Players will encounter many different types of roles; if you have any questions on any of them, feel free to ask.
  • Reality-bending is not in effect. Actions such as "I make all of my rolls turn into 5" are not allowed. That being said, this game is lenient on physics and will allow all sorts of normally impossible things. Like magic. Especially magic.
  • There will be an automatic "background" roll made at the end of every turn. There are no overshots for this roll -- only a linear result. The number you get determines how much information you glean about your surroundings each turn.
  • The dice roll is not the only factor in your success -- circumstances matter as well. Extremely difficult actions may only succeed on a 5 -- and actions that are deemed impossible will fail even if you get a 5. What I usually do is roll first, then write a result that befits the roll and the circumstances.

Format

• Character Name:
• Passive(s) (Read: Customization):
• Description (This isn't going to affect you in-game directly; but it will tell me how creative you can get, which may boost the chances to play):

Customization
When you signup, you may pick one of the following passives as a permanent, one-time addition to your character.
  • Lucky Star: +1 to all Luck rolls
  • Superior Agility: +1 to agility
  • Superior Strength: +1 to strength
  • Superior Intellect: +1 to intelligence
  • Superior Willpower: +1 to all Pain saves
  • Survivor: +1 to all Constitution saves
  • Master Crafter: +1 to both crafting and repairing
  • Observer: +1 to background rolls as long as your eyes are open, negates -1 of any sight penalty
  • Tough Skin: +1 to resist cold, electricity, and all forms of heat damage
  • Resistant: +1 to resist all diseases and poisons. Immune to headaches, dizziness, and being stunned.
  • Charismatic: +1 to Reaction roll when talking to NPC's
  • Mental Fortress: Negates -2 of any mental action penalty. +2 to resist mental attacks of any kind.

..In addition to the above, you may pick any of the following free passives. You can take as many of these as you like, but if you value your well-being, I advise you to not take *any* of them.
  • Insanity: You are permanently insane. Every action is accompanied by an insanity check. Obtaining a [1] on the check will result in you completely losing control for the turn. Obtaining a [2] will result in a -1 penalty to your action. Makes you immune to pain, fear, and most kinds of telepathy and mental attacks. Mental resistance bonuses will NOT affect the insanity check.
  • Glass Cannon: Every time you move to a new world, you are automatically given an Artifact weapon as soon as you worldshift. This weapon lasts until you leave the world. In exchange for this blessing, however, you suffer a permanent -1 to pain resistance, constitution, and all damage resistance. This effect lasts even if the weapon is lost or destroyed.
  • Cursed: Makes you the target of a permanent, unremovable curse that imposes a -1 penalty to all Luck rolls. However, if you die, this curse will allow you to revive. You will need to wait a full 5 turns to be revived, however.

Roster (The amount of players I choose will be based off how many people sign up)
>Easter Sunday (vishdafish)
>Boxcar Joe (Dermonster)
>Nathan (Nirur Torir)
>Thunk (DoctorMcTaalik)
>Nixy (NRDL)

The Scenario

You wake up lying on a cold, smooth stone floor. You get up, and look around.

You're standing near the edge of a hemispherical cave, roughly 100 meters in diameter, with no visible entrance or exit. The walls and floor are perfectly smooth, made out of some unknown blue stone. Cutting straight through the middle of the cave are four exquisite crystal pillars, emitting a uniform light that covers the entire cave. There appear to be carvings on the crystal pillars, but you cannot make them out from this distance.

You are not wearing anything except plain white underwear of unknown make and material, and rather flimsy underwear at that. You are otherwise a perfectly normal human being.

You have a minor headache, and you realize that you remember almost nothing about who you are, or why you are here. All you remember is that someone recently told you: "The four stars in the realms, bring them here. Only then will your task be complete. Good luck."

I will update this thread when I choose the players; so please make sure to check frequently as I will not directly notify anyone. When chosen, you must submit an action within a 24-hour period or you will be removed from the roster.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:46:46 pm by Bliss »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: The Arcane Plane: Something Beyond
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:03:13 pm »

Will agility affect use of ranged weapons?

Edit: NM changed my mind heres my char

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:16:31 pm by vishdafish »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:14:15 pm »

• Character Name: Boxcar Joe
• Passive(s) (Read: Customization): Lucky Star, Cursed, Insanity.
• Description: A disheveled man with dirty black hair and a wild, unshaven beard, Boxcar Joe stands at a menacing 6'4. with skinny musculature. His green eyes are blazing with a radiant insanity. A single memory remains in his mind, of an elderly chinese man whishing him to 'live in interesting times'. Boxcar joe has always lived in interesting times. And he always will.

Shimmy up a pillar.

I am assuming Cursed means I auto revive after 5 turns every time I 'die'. I severely dislike being forced to stop playing a game due to random chance. I enjoy this option.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 04:35:00 pm »

Character Name: Nathan
Passive: Mental Fortress
Description: An American college student, short and of average build. He likes daily meditation, black tea, and Morrowind. He is majoring in history, having been fascinated by the Roman Empire since a childhood trip to Italy. He loves the idea of an empire being a bastion of civilization, surrounded by barbarians. He particularly dislikes repetitive tasks like household chores, Star Trek, and Asian culture (especially Japanese). He has a harsh sense of justice, believes in equality for all, and doesn't feel that he should have to inconvenience himself to appease authority figures.

Study the carvings.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 04:58:04 pm »

Character Name:Jeremy Brittenhein gender:male
• Passive:Mental fortress curse
• Description:A youngman dressed in regal and noble attire from the Victorian era.A splendid top hat black with a white brim.A brown button up with gold buttons and dark black pants with a silver button.Well of course thats was before this currently he has none of those.5ft6 black hair short and proper with one green eye and a purple eye with a symbol of some sorts possibly the curses symbol.Jeremy lobes fancy food diners and luxury he despises others in general is argumentive arrogant and a pompous prick who believes everything and everyone lives to serve him.
Look for some clothes.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 05:06:34 pm »

((Neat. I'm guessing this is inspired by Sean Mirssen's Multiworld Madness?))

Character Name: Thunk
• Passive(s) (Read: Customization): Master Crafter
• Description: A short, unruly man with an absurdly big, bushy red beard. Finds human interaction distasteful. Actually, finds humans in general distasteful.

Slowly approach the nearest pillar, and poke it from a distance.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 05:13:42 pm »

• Character Name: Nixy
• Passive(s): Superior Willpower
• Description: A gaunt, hungry looking young man with a black ponytail.  His eyes dart around to take in his surroundings, a glimpse of his latent paranoia and suggestive of his upbringing.  Incredibly stubborn, once he sets his mind to something, he'll do whatever it takes to get it.  Inherently distrustful of other people, he does his best to hide it, and the walls he builds are fairly subtle. 

Try to find any switches or distinctive features on the pillars.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:24:54 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 09:09:40 pm »

((Neat. I'm guessing this is inspired by Sean Mirssen's Multiworld Madness?))

Yessir; I guess I should've credited it.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 12:18:45 am »

Name: The Sleepwalker
Passives: Superior Intellect, Insane, Glass Cannon, Cursed
Description: Is permanently in a coma/unconscious, but still sleepwalks about. Abuses the free failguard from being unconscious to have almost no drawback from having the Insane quality (as I cannot roll the 1 required to act randomly).

Since I won't have Internet access for a while, assume that I'm assisting Derm if I don't post.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:21:31 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:12 am »

Description: Is permanently in a coma/unconscious, but still sleepwalks about. Abuses the free failguard from being unconscious to have almost no drawback from having the Insane quality (as I cannot roll the 1 required to act randomly).

I hope you know this won't do anything to your character. Like I said in the OP, the description of your character is merely a way for me to know how creative one can get, the descriptions won't be used to create your character.

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 08:54:09 pm »

Turn 1

start doing pushups
[3] You ignore the ominous pillars, take the initiative, and get down on the floor. One, two...seventy-six!. You get up from the floor and already feel the fatigue kicking in.
(Ability Progress: Improved Strength +20%)

Shimmy up a pillar.
[Insanity: 2, Action: 5-1(insanity)= 4] You walk to the nearest pillar and look up. It's height should intimidate you, but you're not at all intimidated. Probably because you're insane and don't know what you're looking at. Probably. Instead of identifying anything on the pillar, you decide to jump onto it! You hold onto the pillar for your life and begin to pull yourself up. You're at the top of the pillar, around 15-feet above ground. Unfortunately, the top of the pillar isn't flat at all, so you have no where to sit.
(Ability Progress: Improved Strength +30%)

Study the carvings.
[1] What are they doing... You decide to it the right way and go look at a pillar. As soon as you put your right foot down, [Dodge: [Auto-4], Damage: 11] you feel a light pinch at the bottom of your foot. You lift your foot up and notice a small puncture from a cave crystal.

Slowly approach the nearest pillar, and poke it from a distance.
[1] Curious as to what the pillar is made of, you head for the nearest pillar. Not even a second after walking, you slip on the cold floor and face-first into the ground! [Dodge: [Auto-4], Damage: 12] Within a split second, you use your arms to avoid any damages to your face. Fortunately, your arms were able to take the damage and avoid any injuries. What a lucky day for you.

Try to find any switches or distinctive features on the pillars.
[1] (There are only so many ways for people to get injured by mistake.)
Also curious as to what could be on the pillars, you walk to the nearest pillar. Your mind wanders off and you forget how to walk for a second and trip on your own feet! [Dodge: [Auto-4], Damage: 3, Critical: 3] Unlike Nathan and Thunk, there's nothing to save you from this. You hear a distinctive CRACK as your skull fractures from the impact! You are instantly knocked unconscious, but still seem to be alive, for now.

Background: [8] Each pillar seems to have its own uniquely-shaped hole at the base of it. Right-above the hole seems to be a smaller slot, looks like a finger could fit in there. Hm.

Statuses:

Spoiler: "Easter Sunday" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Boxcar Joe" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Nathan" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Thunk" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Nixy" (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:27 pm »

((Okay, seriously.  How in the actual fuck.  This is the best start to any of my characters I've ever seen  :P))

Try to wake up.  THROUGH SHEER UNCONSCIOUS WILLPOWER.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 09:13:39 pm »

Ahoy, I'm the lookout, now! Me crow's nest has gone and collapsed, best check on the sail ropes. Time to descent the mast. What's this indent here? Poke hole with finger.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 09:54:10 pm »

"What was- Ahh! Are you okay? Uh, head wound. Concussion, concussion ... Right. Wake up!"

Rush over and perform dabbling first aid on that concussed guy. (I think you're supposed to ask concussed people for their name? He needs to be awake to answer that!)
Pages: [1] 2 3