Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Next Release, lets start planning :D  (Read 1781 times)

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Next Release, lets start planning :D
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

So the new release is imminent! And I for one cant keep my pants on from excitement.  

But what will you all do, how will you think about the start of your very first Z level fortress.  Note this isn't a layout massive big fortress list thread, but a 1st winter one.

I'll give an example.
Unlike regular dwarf fortress, I'm quite experience in DF now, so I'm going to check every dwarf I start with carefully, and give him a job based on what he likes.

For example, a dwarf with a preference for wood will become a carpenter/woodcutter,  a dwarf that likes <metal> will become a metalsmith!

As for the start I'm going to make it fun for myself, and will select my starting gear food and drink based on a zone that I'll choose (pref something tropical, with massive forests and fauna, and hopefully, elephants.

The fun part comes into my dwarfs choice of skills, based on their likes.

My fortress will still be very one layer based, except for high traffic areas to stockpiles (mainly wood, food and stone) will be underground the main floor)
Additionally, I'm going to dig a moat in front of the fortress following a road that will be build. I'll also try to build 2 small towers, one on each side Filled with watter, so i can wash the stinky invaders/immigrants as they walk between the towers. Why?  For fun!  :D

So what will everyone do, I know we don't know all the options and all, but for the sake of it, anticipate!?  :D

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Next Release, lets start planning :D
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

pick a map with a river and bring lots of extra food. dwarves can drink water for a while. floods are one of the major differences and I want some time to figure it out to get farming started.

assuming I don't die horribly with that, I'm not sure. probably get a nice stable fort going and try and 'too deep' to find out what's changed and what the current endgame is like.

also order as much wood as possible from the humans. hooray buying wood!

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

I will make it to top of mountain, like 6 tiles wide, mine it out. Do that at every level.  Awesomness.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

The Dwarf Fort U.S.S. Enterprise
code:

xxxxx            xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         xxx
           xxxxxx    xxxxxxxxx
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I defy you to geek out harder.
There will even be a magma forge at the warp core, and noble's rooms on the bridge.

I have the actual plans. Now the only question is- do I have the Original Flavour, of TNG? What is more Dwarfy?

[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

The nobles rooms should be the captains and officers quarters.
The bridge should be a room full of levers each assigned to a different noble.
Meeting room(what is it called on the Enterprise?) should be a meeting hall.
Ten forward (Is that what it is called?) should be a statue garden.
Hydroponics should be a farm.
You will have trouble with the rooms being to large and efficiency will be effected.
The turbo lifts should be a stairs set to high traffic.
The jeffries tubes should be interconnecting tunnels set to low or restricted traffic.
Remember to make engineering 2 stories.
Build the Warp core out of Clear and crystal glass gems turned into a window to get the color changing effect.
The necels should just be stone dumps until you can make them look good.
The deflector should pour out water to keep enemies at bay.
The phaser coils should be ammo stockpiles and the phaser array be a a row of fortifications.
The Photon torpedo launchers should be ballistas.
A thought occurs, are you talking about the Enterprise-D or one of the other ones? Maybe you should try DS9 of even better B5. I dare you to build B4.
If you need any help figuring things out just ask.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>
Ten forward (Is that what it is called?) should be a statue garden.
</STRONG>

Nah. Dining hall set as a meeting hall. It'd have the same purpose only people can eat there too.

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »

I am going to build in a flat barren desert with no water and no mountains. I'll dig straight down into the sand. It may take me a couple tries before I find a map with a water table, so most of my starting build will be food and water.

When I don't have to worry about that anymore... I'll be building massive Pyramids in which my Dwarves will live.

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

As much as i love love TNG, TOS is entertwined with the earliest days of geekdom,
back when science fiction and fantasy were just beginning to pick up speed.
Altough TNG came out around the same time as the ASCII roguelikes that bear such a resemblance to dwarf fortress. Lordy what a question.

As for Geeking out harder:

code:

._,.
          "..-..pf.
         -L   ..#'
       .+_L  ."]#
       ,'j' .+.j`                 -'.__..,.,p.
      _~ #..<..0.                 .J-.``..._f.
     .7..#_.. _f.                .....-..,`4'
     ;` ,#j.  T'      ..         ..J....,'.j`
    .` .."^.,-0.,,,,yMMMMM,.    ,-.J...+`.j@
   .'.`...' .yMMMMM0M@^=`""g.. .'..J..".'.jH
   j' .'1`  q'^)@@#"^".`"='BNg_...,]_)'...0-
  .T ...I. j"    .'..+,_.'3#MMM0MggCBf....F.
  j/.+'.{..+       `^~'-^~~""""'"""?'"``'1`
  .... .y.}                  `.._-:`_...jf
  g-.  .Lg'                 ..,..'-....,'.
 .'.   .Y^                  .....',].._f
 ......-f.                 .-,,.,.-:--&`
                           .`...'..`_J`
                           .~......'#'
 Ray Brunner               '..,,.,_]`     Sienar Fleet Systems' TIE/In
                           .L..`..``.

YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE. (Okay, so I wanted to post the death star.)

EDIT: Hold up! Check out the imperial base plans on the bottom of site i got the tie from!
Star Wars Ascii Art

[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: Blue Eagle ]

[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: Blue Eagle ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »

<lisp>

Ptththththt.  Clearly Captain Picard ith the thuperior offither.  Captain Kirk ith too rank inthubordinate.  Captain Picard not only dealth with moralth but altho findth a way to do tho within the ruleth and prothedureth.

</lisp>

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

If you guys are doing an Enterprise looking fortress you should make sure it has no dwarves. That way you are stuck with the original dwarves. Can give them names as well.

An alternate route is to make sure you have the crew as named dwarves and keep everyone else around as extras and red shirts.   ;)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

First fort I'm building is going to be a mechanical monstrosity.  I'm going to fiddle with defensive designs and construction techniques, as well as way of automating as much as possible.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 12:00:00 am »

These are all great designs, good luck with the Enterprise, lets hope the Klingons, I mean Goblins don't ruin the experience for you.

What I'm going to do is hollow out the inside as much as I can and build workshops, apartments, administrative offices in smaller buildings.  To make and aboveground city underground.  I already have plans for the new town hall, the grand mausoleum, and the gardens surrounding those buildings.  I'm still working on the royal palace.  I'm not going to post these designs because I would rather post in 1:1 scale and its not going to fit on the forums.  There will be large stone supports holding the cave ceiling up.

Either that, or I'm going to build a build a complex system of (light stone) sheer cliffs, sort of like the final area in Earthbound but more complex and with retracting bridges, and other needed dwarf elements.  Of course this would probably look better if it was actually rendered in 3D, and if the ominous music from that level plays on constant loop. Which it can thanks to Winamp and .RSN files, the music not the 3D effects.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

I'm going to start off basic: Workshops on the main floor. Each one has a cellar under it for raw materials. Living quarters will be one floor up (maybe 2, if they need to avoid noise).

Below the cellars will be a level of Utilities. All the gears, mechanisms, reservoirs, and so on.

Below that will be the primary mines, with a main shaft leading directly up to the metal processing area of the first floor.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 02:14:00 am »

I'm going to do something like this, except the utilities floor will be above the main floor.  That way gravity does most of my pumping for me.

I have some ideas about setting up fountains, which not only will deliver water to some parts of my fortress but they will produce mist to keep my dwarves happy.  Plus they will make the rest of you jealous.   :D

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tarrasque:
<STRONG>If you guys are doing an Enterprise looking fortress you should make sure it has no dwarves. That way you are stuck with the original dwarves. Can give them names as well.

An alternate route is to make sure you have the crew as named dwarves and keep everyone else around as extras and red shirts.    ;)</STRONG>

Yeah. Anyone who isn't legendary or of the original eight is a redshirt.

It completely and totally fits with DF...

Pages: [1] 2