Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Death by...  (Read 1768 times)

NahNahNahNah_SLUGMAN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death by...
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

That's right, I'm here to campaign against the silent killer of dwarves. The hardy dwarves of Armok can survive lead and mercury poisoning and can even sometimes wrestle a dragon to death. I'm here to say the public has turned a blind eye to the menacing and often overlooked killers of 7 dwarves in my current fortress.

Turtles

That's right. Turtles. I've had nearly all of my moods as for shells and none are to be found. Oddly enough, I have nearly 50 pieces of prepared (not cooked) turtle and nearly 50 unprepared and dwarves refuse to eat them ("Hey, I heard Datan is screaming something about shells in his workshop. Shouldn't we eat one of these and put the shell in the trash for him?" "Nah, those taste horrible. Plus turtles are evil. Let's eat a plump helmet roast again."). I propose that turtles are in league with carp and goblins in a giant conspiracy.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Death by...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

In my fortress, the ONLY thing my guys will eat is turtle.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

wow the same thing happened to me in one of my old fortress, lost about 4 people........darn shells........

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

This is why I'll usually shuffle my starting dwarves around until I get one that likes eating turtles. And bring about two dozen turtles with me. And make an interior shell stockpile asap, since they seem to mysteriously disappear from external ones. Guess they're taken by the same ghost that cleans up all the vomit and blood.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

Yeah, stuff like that "fades" from external stockpiles. You have to bring them inside. And guys, are you not bringing turtles from the start? I've never needed more shells than the 15-20 I bring with me initially.

EDIT: In terms of getting them to eat the turtle first... I've not had that problem, but it's a good argument for specialized food stockpiles with lockable doors.

[ February 01, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

In a pinch if you don't have specialized stockpiles set up you can always forbid all the food in your current stockpile and then reclaim just the turtles.  Then reclaim the rest after you have a few shells.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

yet another reason you should always bring turtles with you at the beginning.  That's when you're almost guaranteed to have someone eat it.  Also, you can forbid the foods you don't want them to eat so they are forced to eat turtle if you need to.  ALSO!  Does turtle need to be processed first?

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

Yeah, turtles are a real killer.  I make sure to bring some at start, I buy them from every caravan that brings them, I specifically ask merchants to bring them, and I have an indoor stockpile just for them.  Nearly every strange mood seems to need them.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

I think its annoying that cooking turtles seems to destroy the bones and shells. I mean, why?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

First off, cooked food is eaten almost always before raw food.
Second, forbid and reclaim.  Done.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

I think I have had two berserk crafts dwarves from this.

Fortunately, I have been quick on the draw and have sent recruits to swarm the berserk dwarf before they could kill anything.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>First off, cooked food is eaten almost always before raw food.
Second, forbid and reclaim.  Done.</STRONG>

I have about 1200 preparedfood in about 8 specialized stockpiles. I'd rather loose a dwarf. (actually going toocurrenty, have a melter wih a strange mood, two adamantine wafers, two logs and bones screaming for turtle...)

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

I just make it so that I have no stockpile that takes prepared turtles.

I let them all rot in the fishery. Dwarves will take the rotten ones and dump them in the refuse pile where they will rot. If they are ever put in a barrel then they will never rot even if you dump them manually.

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 04:10:00 am »

Wait, are you guys saying that if you cook a turtle in the kitchen you lose the shell, but if a dwarf eats a turtle it preserves the shell?

(Come to think of it seeds work that way, too, don't they?)

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

Yes, that's correct, which is exactly why I turn off cooking of turtle along with plants (which get brewed) and alcohol (unless for whatever reason I'm in desperate need of meals and have a surplus of booze)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: [1] 2