Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Deep Below (Sign-Ups)  (Read 2315 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deep Below (Sign-Ups)
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:09:34 am »

Two generation ago the mortal races descended deep within the earth. They fled flood, famine, and fire. A cataclym shook the world to its core, and toppled the world order. Chaos, fear, and panic overtook the entire world as its inhabitants were forced to flee deep into the caverns of the world. It is there that the mortal races scrounge to survive. Among the survivors are heros, peasants, and most importantly, politicians.

Deep is a political RPG that takes place in a fantasy setting deep beneath a ruined world. Each player represents a nation of survivors trying to eek out a living deep within the twisted bowels of a world torn asunder. Most of the world's races managed to get a decent number of members to safety, but some could not adapt or simply ran into too much misfortune to survive. As it is, it is not easy to survive. This game is about keeping your civilization alive through hell, high water, and an evil GM bent on (fairly) destroying your civilization.

Character sheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cavern Size (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Some Game Things (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:48:15 pm by Roboson »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Bellow (Sign-Ups)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:28:48 am »

I mean, usually I don't like gnomes, but they seem really good here. If research is as important as I would think it would be. Maybe it isn't. Ah well.

Would I be able to be the Mashakev?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:37:52 am »

Question how many races are we allowed to have?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:44:25 am »

There doesn't seem to be a starting list of buildings.

And could we maybe get a overview on what each unit and technology does?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:00:04 am by Demonic Spoon »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 12:52:58 am »

@Title: "Below", not "Bellow"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:57:50 am »

Leader Name: Willowheart
Main Race: Elves
Additional Race(s): Half-Elves, Dwarves, Orcs
Technology: -70
Mining
Farming
Masonry
Trapping
Mana
Writing
Mathematics
Culture/Government Type: Magocracy, ruled by the wisest and most powerful archmages.
Units:
1 Peasant (Free)
1 Mage -25
Cavern Size: 11 (-5)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:20 am »

Leader Name: Market-Efficiency Fallow
Main Race: Gnomes
Additional Races: -10
Minotaurs
Tech: -50
Road Building
Fishing
Hunting
Writing
Mathematics
Culture/Goverment: Meritocratic Republic (Council of Guild Leaders with elected Head of Council. The current surviving guilds are represented by the currently researched techs.)
Units: -40
1 Peasant  (Free)
1 Peasant (5)
1 Scout (10)
1 Warrior  (10)
1 Merchant (15)
Caravan Size:
Current arrangement subject to change as more information is provided about buildings.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:08:35 am by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edited due to new rule
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:20:39 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »

Whoops, I was right about forgetting things. I'm going to also rearrange the race rules a little. I apologize for this change because it probably will affect your starting sheets a bit.

Minor changes

Race bonuses are now on an individual unit basis. As it was pointed out to me, it doesn't make sense for a second kind of unit to recieve a race bonus from the first race. So each unit now receives its race bonus, and additional starting races cost 10 plus 5 for each additional race. So one secondary race will cost 10, the next would cost 15 (for a total of 25) so on and so forth. There is no limit on races.

Players can submit their own race, I'm beyond open to that because it would allow players to play their way with their own creativity. And I'll balance their race bonus to be in line with everyone else's.
@RPGeek: Yes you can. Can you give me a more definite physical description of the race though?

( I knew I was forgetting something.)

Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Below (Sign-Ups)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:47 pm »

Can we get some more information on the mechanics of the game? Like what actions units can take, how we get new units, how research works, how combat works... Really most things are very vague.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:55 pm »

Can we get some more information on the mechanics of the game? Like what actions units can take, how we get new units, how research works, how combat works... Really most things are very vague.

Yeah that wasn't the best OP ever. OK, I'm just going to do this stream of consciousness style.

The game is turn based. There are 8 turns in a cycle. Each turn a player can turn extra food (and any required resources) into units. Each turn a unit can take an action.
Peasants are the worker units. Each one can construct or operate a building to produce resources.
Soldiers can be sent to attack other settlements, or posted to defend yours.
Hunters and scouts and similar units go out into the cave system to gather food or other resources.
Mages can be used like soldiers, but they use mana when taking magical actions.
Priests are like mages but use faith.
Monsters are a constant danger and may attack your settlement or your units in the caverns.
Combat is done be rolls. Each race has a set health and strength. Combat units get extra health and strength. Attack rolls are d10 + base damage + bonuses.
Units cannot take action on the turn they are created.
Research is done passively, but slowly. It can be sped up with certain undiscovered units.
Buildings are constructed by peasants using resources. When a building is discovered, you will get the recipe for creation in a PM as well as a description of the building. Same thing if you discover a new unit.

Basically its a turnbased game in the theme of the Civilization games, but takes place underground. A lot of it is vague so that you have to discover it as you play. So there wont ever be a units list or a buildings list because each player has to discover it individually. Furthermore, there is a lot of freedom of action in this game. So if you wanted to research something like comedy (just pulled that out of thin air) then I would find a place for it in the tech tree. Same if you wanted to create a unit like a bounty hunter (also just an example that I haven't prepared for ahead of time). The game itself is going to be vague so that both you and I can tweak it to get more of what you want out of it, as well as allow for a discovery aspect.

Heres an example of some barebones turns:

Turn A
My peasant consumes one food.
My peasant produces 2 food by operating a farm.
I turn one food into a scout.
I begin researching mining. (After I receive a PM about my available techs to research and how long each will take).

Turn B
My peasant consumes one food.
My scout consumes one food.
My peasant produces two food by operating a farm.
I direct my scout to hunt for food in the caverns.

Turn C
My units consume 2 food.
My peasant creates 2 food.
My scout was unsuccessful in gathering food in the caverns. (Failed the roll)

So on and so fourth, but with RP in there.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 11:16:52 pm »

Research is done passively, but slowly. It can be sped up with certain undiscovered units.

How does this interact with racial bonuses that are on a unit by unit basis? Like, do gnomes basically go no bonus until you get the undiscovered units, at which point they get an extra 50% to whatever the unit benefit is?

Edit: Also I gota just mention off the top of my head catmen seem intensely op. Elves, the food making race, make 3 food when they work a farm, catmen make 4. They mine faster then dwarves and construct faster then humans. Basically catman master race ery day :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:32:34 pm by Criptfeind »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:02 pm »

How does this interact with racial bonuses that are on a unit by unit basis? Like, do gnomes basically go no bonus until you get the undiscovered units, at which point they get an extra 50% to whatever the unit benefit is?

Wow, that is a good point. Yeah I would guess so. So that unit, if it is a gnome, will be 50% better at increasing research speed as the same unit of a different race. May have to adjust that, but that's probably more balanced than the flat research time decrease. The unit in question is not particularly distant if that's the concern.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »

As Criptfiend said, Catmen seem Op

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 12:16:21 am »

Edit: Also I gota just mention off the top of my head catmen seem intensely op. Elves, the food making race, make 3 food when they work a farm, catmen make 4. They mine faster then dwarves and construct faster then humans. Basically catman master race ery day :P

I missed that edit.

Ugh ok. Changing the way the bonuses worked certainly messed that up. I'm going to need a brand new passive bonus for them. I'm thinking that I'll change that to so that they get 50% more resources from cavern foraging.
Pages: [1] 2 3