Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An interesting beginning...  (Read 679 times)

PrimarchBentley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
An interesting beginning...
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

My first fort, and I'm on a mountainside that slopes down to a valley to the west, with a brook to the NW (it starts in my area, which is pretty cool).  Main entrance at 5 levels up from valley, with highest peaks 6 levels above this first gate.  I'm just now in the early spring with a whole of one year under my belt.

In excavating for irrigation (3 floodgate, water channel -> reservoir -> farm), I find a bottomless chasm to the north.  I just wanted to grow my plump helmets, man...  Of course, it's also right under my valley-level entrance hall, so I'm thinking I'm gonna hafta look into some fun with levered bridges.

In mid-autumn of my first year, while excavating a southern stairwell to get Z-level mobility (after having missed my dwarven caravan that way (no access to a trade post due to terrain)), I hit adamantine.

I have my 7 original dwarves, the booze has run dry (but at least I have water inside and accessible, without running around and tempting the Giant Eagle outside), and starting food supplies are very low.  Irrigation is almost ready (after rewalling rescue mining from where a genius blocked himself in a channel behind a floodgate), but I don't know how long it'll take the irrigation to work and crop to grow (what crop grows the fastest?).

Thank Armok the Elven caravan just arrived.  They better have food, or we might be forced to find out what tree-hugger tastes like...  <.<

Now, back to the adamantine...  Should I let it go (I'm sure not mining it out right now), or should I make sure the liason and caravan don't make it back after their yearly inspection so word doesn't spread...?

I don't mind losing, but this location is sweet and I'd love to build up before the horrible, horrible downward spiral into oblivion.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting beginning...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

When in doubt, plant plump helmets.

You have surprisingly little to lose by letting the caravan go.

If all else fails, you can always reclaim later.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

MINE IT MINE IT MINE IT!!!!
een failing lately?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

Don't fear the giant eagle, seriously.  I've had one at my fort since it started 7 years ago.  So far, it's had 0 kills and plenty of scared dwarves to it's name.

Did I mention IT'S $*(%^&@# AFRAID OF MY DWARVES?!  Seriously, when my guys went out to gather the cave spider silk webs growing out on a plateau, they ran right into it (well, 3 tiles from it, close enough).  Dwarf ran screaming back to the fort, Giant (GIANT) Eagle ran (flew?) screaming away in the other direction.  It's done this several times.

Then again, this is a map where cave spiders spin webs aboveground in broad daylight, so meh.

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered