Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck underground  (Read 1951 times)

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuck underground
« on: July 10, 2016, 10:48:05 pm »

So I was playing in adventure mode when I fall into a hole. I can't climb the walls and it is too high wall to walk (there's no slope).
Does anybody know a way out?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck underground
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:13:36 pm »

You can't climb at all?

Are you in a cavern?

If so, do you have a battle axe?

Find a pink tree, should be a tunnel tube, climb up on the branches and you'll see the little pentagon tiles (⌂) on some of them, climb over onto one, then lay down and stand back up, now cut the tree down while you're standing on that tile.

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:09 am »

No and no. I'm in.. an underground castle. The walls are made of stones and there's no trees here. But I do have a copper chopping axe...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:10:21 am »

Like a dwarf fortress? Hmmm.

See if you can find a spot that you can climb up on to but can't normally walk over to like twigs or the ⌂ branches I mentioned, then try to wait or compose something there.

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:29:32 pm »

It's a human fort whose only entrance i a hole at ground level xD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:32:28 pm »

You had humans build forts then, or is it a catacomb or sewer or something?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:45:27 am »

Use q to strap your weapon and shield to your body, then use h and the movement keys to climb up.

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 01:56:30 am »

The game didn't react to "q" for sheath so I tested again by dropping my weapons. Tried "h" to climb at several tiles but nothing happend.
This is how it looks from where I stand. The open space is front of me is a one level drop down. To get to the surface I would have to climb one z-level up. But I think it is the game that is faulty. I've got problems with key bindings since the start. (I think I accidentally downloaded an old version of the Masterwork mod).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:19:01 am »

If you're using masterwork you almost invariably have dfhack installed. Switch to the dfhack command line window and enter "reveal" (without quotes) and hit the enter key. That should reveal the entire map and allow you to find an alternative route out if there is any. Just use the 'l'ook function to view it all and find a path. Note that in adventure mode dfhack's revealed area will be immediately hidden again when you attempt to move, so don't move until you've seen everything there is to see.

If there are no other ways to walk out unassisted, you can save the game, go to your save folder in data/save/your_region, open that regions folder and the raw and objects folders therein, and find the race youre playing as in the raws. I have no idea what file to look in because masterwork and other overhaul mods seem to always have different file structures than vanilla with everything moved around.

Once you have found it, add the [FLIER] tag to the raw entry of your race. Then save the file and load your save, and use the move-upwards key (usually shift+'>' on your keyboard.) to fly back up through the hole. After you're out you can remove the flier tag again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.