Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do With Non-Butcherable Bodies?  (Read 3468 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
What to do With Non-Butcherable Bodies?
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:35:51 pm »

I have a huge stock of troglodytes that I breed and use for training exercises. However, the bodies still remain and I have no idea what to do with them. I can not butcher them because they have the [CAN_LEARN] tag.

So... What do I do with them?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: What to do With Non-Butcherable Bodies?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:41:06 pm »

atom smash them or let them rot.

or you could try biological warfare by putting them all on top of a bridge and raising it so the bodies fly up into the air and land on your enemies
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:55:07 am »

Dumping them into magma makes for a good disposal mechanism.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 03:44:49 am »

Since they're sufficiently intelligent the bodies go into the corpse stockpile rather than the refuse one. You may want to use a minecart quantum stockpile where the feeder stockpile is a corpse stockpile, while the target stockpile is a combined corpse and refuse stockpile for accelerated degradation (I don't know if a corpse stockpile has the accelerated degradation properties of a refuse one). Atom smashing and disposal in magma are good alternatives as well.

If you've got access to a necromancer you might try to reanimate the corpses and rekill them. I think (without any proof) that that will cause the bodies to go into the refuse stockpile instead, and their bones to become available for crafting (but you still can't butcher them, so bones would be come available only through "natural" butchering, such as dismemberment).

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 03:45:16 pm »

If you've got access to a necromancer you might try to reanimate the corpses and rekill them. I think (without any proof) that that will cause the bodies to go into the refuse stockpile instead, and their bones to become available for crafting (but you still can't butcher them, so bones would be come available only through "natural" butchering, such as dismemberment).
I [currently] have sieges off due to my reentry to the game. I also don't think that there is a necromancer close to my fortress, but if there is... there will be science.

General question: is atom smashing still viable? If I recall correctly, it was useful but ran into logistical errors when doing a huge quantity of objects because they did not always register as being "destroyed". This, however, was back in the day of early DF2010 and was used for the removal of 1000+ stone pieces.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »

I haven't heard of or had any problem with atom smashing as such. You can fail to do it properly so you toss stuff, of course, and you can try to smash things too large (e.g. a rutherer) and destroy your bridge instead. A long timer might be able to give you a better answer.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:45:03 pm »

Be careful with any automatic atom smasher/magma dump linked to a corpse stockpile. My dwarves insist on putting dead dwarves in the corpse stockpile for a week or 2 each time even with free coffins before burying them properly.
Other than that magma works well, or just let them rot.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »

Put them in a specially built 1st layer room/dug out with direct surface access room. Lay the corpses down preferably in line of sight of a enormous bridge door access (which should for the majority of time likely be open assuming there is no risk so hunters/corpse collectors can just dump and waste rubbish there)

Where you put them on the floor does not matter, but if the room has sufficent interior and exterior defenses it helps, as shown on the diagram below the (block = +) roof covers the corpses from the elements and (pillar = P) supports hold up the big roof as well as interior overhang to prevent whatever re-animates or fall into the pit somehow from explicitly crawling out without going up the dirt (walls = w).

In a emergency, drop the pillars to land a killing blow and atom smash them with the bridges/apply traps.

+++++++
P     P
W+   +W
WP   PW

I like to use this setup for processing hunting in safe biomes (where risk of reanimation is minimal and no necro's exist within distance) and general militia dwarf work in general (running around the map beating up animals on command), its much neater than a stockpile outside your entrance that traders might see or a sloppy subterranean and interior room.

They'll be miasmaless and you can just ignore butcherables/non butcherables. Alternatively i recommend making a dumping hole commode, (a hatch with a lever connected to a deep hole nobody cares about, the smell can't escape so no worries), my bathrooms are terrifying.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »

Thank you all for the input on designs. I will begin construction of one soon, after my above ground fortress is set up.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 06:36:59 am »

I recommend placing them on a retractable bridge above your trade depot. The next time elves visit, steal their goods then dump a pile of semi-rotten skeletons on them!

Afterwards (immediately afterwards) you may scour the depot clean with magma.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 07:30:31 am »

You could go a mod centric route to create a workshop that cremates (via a cremator) corpses out of existance or converts them into a product. Would require a world re-roll but it'd be a precautionary thing for future fortresses.

Right now im working on a vanilla (by what i mean in terms of no DFhackery) workshop that converts corpses/meat refuse/both into large quantities of grease/tallow to be used automatically for animal wax products rather than eating as part of my initative to have a very industrious goblin-fortress wax museum/glue factory. Especially on things i can't butcher or my gobbos due to ethics raw bugs refuse to eat, gotta make use of those cauldrons and ladels gobbo's have but never use for eating liquids as intended outside adventure mode.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 03:40:47 am »

Broseph stalin had a df job set up in one of his old stories to turn corpses into potash for making glass. Worked fine for believability and far less dangerous to manage than a wood cutting industry
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 05:42:17 pm »

@Derro: I am not killing off the elves. They send me great breeding pairs of Giant animals. And grizzly bears.

@FantasticDorf: I am already years into a game that I do not want to restart. Secondarily, can you butcher sentient bodies for wax things?

@Lozzymandias: --And potash? This is "ethical"?

Urist McManager: Hello, urist McWaxcrafter. How goes the gobbo candlemaking?
Urist McWaxcrafter: Wonderful, wonderful, dear McManager.
Urist McManager: And you, Urist PotashMaker?
Urist PotashMaker: URIST GRIND BODIES TO DUST. URIST BURN THEM. URIST MAKE BEAUTIFUL CLEAR GLASS.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 08:56:47 pm »

I honestly hope someone else realized that catapulting corpses @ necromancers might be a bad idea.
Just sayin'.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 12:13:37 am »

That depends on the state of your defences, really. Nothing says "I hate goblins" like killing them, then reviving them, then killing them again, then making goblin bone crafts.
Pages: [1] 2