Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress Layout's effects on FPS?  (Read 2332 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Layout's effects on FPS?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
<STRONG>Stuff just laying around seems to have a unreasonably large effect on framerates. For example I recently dumped (into magma so removed totally) all the stone laying around in my fortress and gained about 15fps (on average) it didn't even take a month of game time to shift the stone either so it's unlikely the effects where anything else.

Likewise building bins seems to speed things up, I'm assuming because small items are placed in them and so certain calculations in the game are avoided.</STRONG>

Yes, this seems to be true. I dumped roughly 5,000 units of things into a chasm (lots and lots of seeds, spare stones, narrow goblin garbage, a bunch of crafts I'll never sell, etc) and went from ~30 fps to ~40 fps with the same number of dwarves.

I'm in the process of dumping even more garbage trying to up the FPS even more.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by A_Fey_Dwarf:
<STRONG>
Zardus what sort of CPU do you have, because my mate just bought a quad core with 2gb of ram, and even he can't run the game at that speed.</STRONG>

It's nothing that special: 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 3gb of ram, Geforce 8400gs (doubt that really matters for DF though). The only special thing is I'm running BBLean instead of Explorer as my shell. I run it to make my Windows environment consistent with my Linux environment, but it might have the side-effect of taking less resources than Explorer, maybe... I also tweaked init.txt, turned off sound and put the graphical FPS down to 15 (also thinking of turning off temperature, as there seems to be no point to it on a warm map). Also keep in mind that this specific map is a 2x2 with nothing special -- no freezing water, no running water, just pools of water sitting there and some dwarves. Whereas my old bigger map ran faster than this one at times, it ended up with the FPS in the crapper at 100 dwarves, and my FPS is actually staying pretty steady -- 80 dwarves now and still ~75 FPS.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I do have a ridiculous amount of crafts, stone, plants, and goblin crap sitting around. As I have no magma with which to dispose of it, it sounds like it's time to make the humans very very happy. Hope the sudden flood of free stone crafts doesn't collapse their economy...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

All of my maps that don't have magma or a chasm (which is most) have a trash compactor. Basically a pit with a bridge in it that I keep raised up. When I have lots of stuff thrown in the pit, I hit a lever and the bridge crushes everything into oblivion. Then I raise it again and start the process over again.

I usually have a frame-rate of about 20-25 in my larger forts, unless there is an invasion going on. Which I guess is pretty good.

Of course, I tend to have extensive mining operations, so that probably has an effect. Anyone know if the rock sitting around in the mines makes a difference? Or is it just stuff sitting in the area that you're looking at?

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »

Mephnanstreas, that's a good idea. I knew bridges could crush stuff, but never thought about using them as a trash compactor.

So I turned temperature off today and am now getting between 90 and 120 FPS. I have great hope of a bustling fortress of hundreds of dwarves now :-)

I'll try the other suggestions (locked doors on stairs, wider hallways, etc) on here when I get some spare time with the dwarves. Right now they're getting all the goblin crap to a stockpile to crush/sell it. Doesn't help that I just got sieged by 40 goblins who all got killed or captured.

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Zardus ]

Pages: 1 [2]