Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nish Gemfound has inherited the position of Queen.  (Read 1180 times)

LegendLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nish Gemfound has inherited the position of Queen.
« on: July 09, 2016, 05:26:43 pm »

I'm about three years into this embark, and nowhere near the required prosperity to get a queen, or even a baron, but, apparently something happened to a bunch of nobles, so a few of my dwarves inherited. I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to go about building their rooms. Is this a bug?

Also...
the two barons in my fort aren't even the barons of my fort, they own somewhere else?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Nish Gemfound has inherited the position of Queen.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:35:12 pm »

Not a bug, in fact that sounds like working as intended, probably the mountainhome was attacked and the rulers died.  As for the rooms, right now as long as other needs are met the likelihood of serious problems is low, concentrate on getting into a stone layer and digging out some spacious areas to designate as temporary nobles quarters until you can do a real job of it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:50:36 pm »

What above poster said. It is "normal" for these things to happen, albeit it is rare.

If you have two barons and a queen, well, that is a lot of nobles. Dig out large rooms in stone and then smooth and engrave them, and that should help you get them on track. It isn't actually very hard to get them to be happy.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:03:10 am »

If you have an artifact piece of furniture, try designating all the required rooms so they overlap and include the artifact piece. It might just be enough to get the value up.
Failing that the 40ish pieces of furniture needed for all the rooms, if made of metal and placed in one big open plan room, should be enough to hit the required value even with all the shared room value loss.
You can then build nicer individual rooms at your leisure.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:04:20 pm »

1 piece of required furniture counts for all the rooms it overlaps - when your overlapping room has a cabinet, every dwarf owning the room thinks they have one. Instead of doing 40 pieces of furniture, take a page from architect and do some screw pumps. They may even be more valuable than the artifact furniture, tbh (Mason/Carpenter/Blacksmith quality+Architect quality)*(Enermous Corkscrew quality)*66*(enermous corkscrew material) gives you a base starting room value boost of 33,5k with iron screw, wooden pipe and block and everything exceptional - 17 should get you most of the way to royal room (144k for non-overlapping, *4 for overlapping).

(Full masterworks with steel/gold components would get you around 660k per screw pump, enough to compete with low-end adamantine artifacts.)