Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The World in Adventure Mode  (Read 1802 times)

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
The World in Adventure Mode
« on: July 09, 2016, 05:05:20 pm »

How active or living is the world in Adventure Mode?

I've played it so much, but I've never really thought about it. Can civilizations rise and fall, sites be built, adventurers live and die, roads be made, and does the world carry on diplomatically and in terms of its society even during Adventure Mode, or is the world more static than in Fortress Mode? Does the world continue on without you?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:07:04 pm by Morgoth »

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »

I feel confident saying that world activation is the same for both modes but keep in mind that in game time passes much quicker in fortress mode than in adventurer mode, so you don't get to see as much development.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »

I'd say that it being slower in adventure  mode is kinda good because you could potentially actually really change things much more easily then in fort mode.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:57:39 pm »

I know that wars can start and end, roads aren't built outside of world gen as far as I know. I know insurrections can happen to.
Other then that I have no idea.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 03:39:08 am »

well BEFORE it was more lively and stuff changed and happen. now stuff still changes but it's random and cities can rise and or fall depending on if a forgotten beast roams by. like you might have to science it a bit.
poke around sites and observe legends mode to see any changes.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »

I'm working on a dying dwarven civ that had a small pop but no sites. I built the population up with a few fort embarks, then did some adventuring to a) clear their ruins of inhabitants and b) cause their conquered sites to become ruins by killing/recruiting the occupying population. Now the plan is to get a king and general in a fort located within the civ's territory. Once that's done I hope to see the civ reclaiming and/or founding new sites while I pass time in adventure mode and other embarks. I'll be surprised if it works.

Observations while all this has gone on (25 years in-game):
* a human civ lost a few sites and ~20% of its population. Its law-giver and general were stuck in a perpetual state of leading attacks on different sites. The stasis may be broken though; checking legends after 5 years in my current fort, the general successfully captured the forest retreat after lo these many years; the law-giver died and was replaced, then replaced again, the latest one is currently showing up at my fort as a diplomat.

* a tiny human civ launched a few founding expeditions (at least one of them happened while playing adv mode, though it's likely to have been during the 2-week time advance)

* goblin civs (two in this world) had big population increases, expanded like crazy, conquered some sites from the first human civ and elves, did that goblin thing with the trenches and towers in those sites (again while I was in fort mode)

* elven civ's activity parallels the first human civ, no pop gain or loss. They're at war with everyone and constantly launching attacks with a few successful site captures. No founding expeditions, one reclamation attempt. (Fort mode.)

All that said, I don't see evidence for much if any world activity during adv mode. Considering the slower scale and time consuming nature, probably I simply haven't spent enough time in adv mode to see anything happen, 

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »

It is of note that the frequency of wars increases by some extreme amount once actual play begins. In world generation it can be kind of rare to see any wars, but if you go back into legends after a few years of playing you'll probably see more wars in those few years than in an entire 125 year history.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 02:12:22 pm »

Just earlier I walked into a town, checked the tavern, and then a temple. While I was about to travel over to the keep I found I couldn't travel anymore.

I was very confused so I walked over and talked to the lady in the keep, she gave me the usual troubles options, and then suddenly I see a bunch of sense creature icons get up and start moving the same direction. She then says "we just banded together as somegroupname before the army of someguy the elf descended on us" and everyone headed out of the town.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:03 pm »

You only have to stay alive for a couple of months then load up Legends to see that the world is active whatever mode you're playing in.

While you're playing, insurrections, moving armies, spreading rumours and so on just wouldn't happen if the active world wasn't working.

Of course, if someone can prove otherwise, please contact Toady to let him know his 2 years working on the active world need to be redone.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 04:08:34 pm »

From my experience, the activity of adv mode is pretty random.  I've had many playthroughs where the world is pretty stable (but maybe that's because those were shorter, and only over a matter of weeks in game), and the main threats pertain to occasional bandit attacks and night creatures.  However, in other worlds, I've seen wars unfolding in hamlets, carrion strewn throughout the manors of lords (I forgot what they're actually called), complaints of armies marching through areas, and distraught lords/ladies of abandoned lands pleading for my character to lead them away from the war torn remnants of civilization to their loved ones in greener pastures (although it would have helped if the bitch showed me her husband's location.  I abandoned her in the woods :D)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:12:11 pm by Jako98145 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:11 pm »

From my experience, the activity of adv mode is pretty random.  I've had many playthroughs where the world is pretty stable (but maybe that's because those were shorter, and only over a matter of weeks in game), and the main threats pertain to occasional bandit attacks and night creatures.  However, in other worlds, I've seen wars unfolding in hamlets, carrion strewn throughout the manors of lords (I forgot what they're actually called), complaints of armies marching through areas, and distraught lords/ladies of abandoned lands pleading for my character to lead them away from the war torn remnants of civilization to their loved ones in greener pastures (although it would have helped if the bitch showed me her husband's location.  I abandoned her in the woods :D)
It's not random, it's the simulated activity of the world you're in (yeah, almost the same thing, but not quite). The world doesn't change just because you switch from Fortress to Adventurer, the only difference is that you get to actually see what's going on.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 06:04:05 pm »

It's not random, it's the simulated activity of the world you're in (yeah, almost the same thing, but not quite). The world doesn't change just because you switch from Fortress to Adventurer, the only difference is that you get to actually see what's going on.

I meant random in the sense that the way in which the world changes is random, therefore, the events you'll experience in adventure mode are equally as random.  In hindsight, I now realize that saying "the experience of adv mode is random" sends an incorrect connotation.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 09:28:49 am »

well BEFORE it was more lively and stuff changed and happen. now stuff still changes but it's random and cities can rise and or fall depending on if a forgotten beast roams by. like you might have to science it a bit.

Before, it completely stopped being alive after worldgen ended.

World activation is new.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 06:13:33 pm »

Before, it completely stopped being alive after worldgen ended.

World activation is new.

Which has opened up so many wonderful opportunities :D