Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: neutral GCS?  (Read 1764 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
neutral GCS?
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:06:30 pm »

so i broke into the 1st cavern and there was a GCS, it wandered into my fort and its not causing any !!FUN!!
right now its sitting in a busy hallway with dwarves walking right past it without getting scared or attacked.
now this is actually the first time ive ever seen a GCS but the wiki lead me to believe that it would attack anything on sight with webs and biting, yet it seems completely peaceful.

im absolutely baffled with this and think it might be a bug. well duh of course it is, its a spider after all XD

so where do i upload a save to so others can take a look at it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:13:28 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: neutral GCS?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:28:33 pm »

Non-hostile wild animals is a known bug.

If you want to post a save (and optionally add it to the bug report) the best place to upload it is the Dwarf Fortress File Depot.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »

Non-hostile wild animals is a known bug.

If you want to post a save (and optionally add it to the bug report) the best place to upload it is the Dwarf Fortress File Depot.
will do.
i will take advantage of this situation and capture it without any threat for free silk!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 02:06:33 pm »

Good luck!  Learning to farm silk is one of the game's minor milestones.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »

As said, the same thing has happened with trolls. Both trolls and GCS' are building destroyers, however, and they might look like they're just standing passively, while actually working on destroying something...

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 02:31:14 pm »

As said, the same thing has happened with trolls. Both trolls and GCS' are building destroyers, however, and they might look like they're just standing passively, while actually working on destroying something...

3 broken wooden doors later i shoved it in a trap and now im setting up the silk farm

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 03:56:18 am »

You did get it for a bargain price, then...

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 04:17:32 am »

This. My previous fortress was forced to quickly access the caverns, where a troll smashed my door, walked in... and just stood there. When I tried to wall him in he'd smash the walls down before they were finished, but he otherwise didn't bother my dwarves. I had to draft my entire fortress and punch him to death.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 12:22:12 pm »

I love this game.  "The Troll wasn't bothering me at all, so I had to mercilessly beat it to death."

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 02:33:22 pm »

im realizing, since the GCS is completely passive it wont web anything, so i cant collect the silk.
is there a way to aggravate it?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:28:21 pm »

I use semi-megabeasts as GCS silk farm bait.  Goblins also work but it bugged a siege on me once and I don't care to repeat that experience.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 02:47:37 am »

My preferred GCS bait is black tower undead (I guess evil biome undead would work as well). They'll aggravate both tame and wild GCS' alike.
It can also be noted that a wild GCS in the silk farm has the effect (positive and negative, as per your preferences) of blocking a critter group in the cavern it came from, as it's "free" and thus forms one group.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 01:29:30 pm »

In previous versions i found that even undead creatures can be pacified and made to be non-aggresive due to the resolution to brawls, a dwarf in a long lost save about the 42.06 mark punched a undead jaguar to a pulp, but stopped short of killing it, and it slinked away off back into the map edge without future hassle through my settlement. The same thing has also happened with GCS who come in guns blazing, got beaten up then silently slink through the fortress totally ignored until it made it to its destination and left from the top over-world map.

Brawls & sanctioned only violence cause this kind of behaviour i believe.

Trolls and troglodytes also have emotional intelligence to remember and react to threats.

Kill a trog effortlessly with a militia and they'll never bother you again as long as 1 trogg witnessed it and ran, they instead run away in future, wheras let them kill a civvie in a brave charge and get cocky and they'll harrass you time and time again, the groups memorise this, and you can abuse it to tie them to chains, kill their kin while they watch then pit them to release, cavern trolls will up and run away when they see a dwarf after that (requires 2 trolls minimum and escaping troll successfully getting of the map before a new troll moves in), while still making charges for your workshops avoiding confrontation (put a militia guard outside and they'll skitter around, the guards wont react if you dont sanction future hostile trolls to be killed, to a stalemate).

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 06:40:17 am »

I love this game.  "The Troll wasn't bothering me at all, so I had to mercilessly beat it to death."

In my defense, it kind of was. My burial room was near the cavern entrance, and the troll kept smashing the dead dwarf's coffin. Sure, I could've built a second burial room away from the troll, but that would've taken time.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 07:55:43 am »

careful, while it is neutral to civilians, it will attack (on duty) military, and trained war animals.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2