Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: HLYBLEEP ADAMANDITE!  (Read 8860 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HLYBLEEP ADAMANDITE!
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

I found a volcano in the middle of nowhere and settled on it...  just flat plains around it.

Also, my guys are starving.  I think it has to do with the economy.  Either that or my dwarves are idiots.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2008, 03:10:00 am »

Puzzle if i were you, i would entirely excavate everything around that adamantine. Don't worry about what these other guys are saying, they're just trying to scare you with worst case scenario stories that happen once every several thousand forts so chances are you could mine that whole thing out and not even have to worry about locking the door.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2008, 03:16:00 am »

Ehh, that's a bit strong.  Okay, so we were just trying to spook you. The pits haven't been fully fleshed out yet, so they're mainly decoration as of now.  

They do make nice garbage pits though, works just like the chasms.  And, you can dig out the area around and make a lovely little evil temple, with the altar right in front of the pit.

So, yeah.  Don't sweat it.  We were just havin' a bit of fun.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

There's also a secret thing there that gives you a nice bonus thing.
However, it doesn't work if you have too much military, so you'd better kill them off first, or relieve them from duty.

Also, the more civilians you have at the cave when the BONUS THING occurs, the funner times you'll have.

You can think of the bonus thing as... say... cake.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

sorry if I have to spoil the tread for everyone, but the "cake" dwarfaholic is talking about is possesions, as in strange mood possesions

it happens very often that dwarves that work in the glowing pits (mostly hauling I guess) become possessed and create artifacts

the downside is that a possesion mood doesn't create a legendary skill, and if too many dwarves go possessed chances are many will die because you lack the materials/workshops

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2008, 05:42:00 am »

Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>What the hell is "Adamandite"?  I've heard of Adamantine, but not Adamandite.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Talk:Adamantine#Standardized_spelling</STRONG>[/Q UOTE]
Different culture, different spelling. It's probably a much easier mistake for Brits to make since we so often have to change the crap American spellings in our heads (for instance, it doesn't matter how often I see "aluminum" on the screen, I will ALWAYS say "aluminium", and I do it entirely subconsciously).
But then again, how many people are aware that adamantine is a real mineral? Many could well think of it as being a fictional substance like mithril (which also has an abundance of alternate spellings, such as mythril)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

Thanks for the spoiler, Akroma. Now he won't learn it the hard way, with no legendary dwarves.

Unless, of course, they use the adamantite. I've heard it sometimes gives legendary even when possessed, though it might be a bug.

Also, it's best to time the opening of the cavern to be simultaneous with a goblin siege, so you get a lot of metal to melt down and use for stuff if one of your dwarves gets lucky and uses adamantite in his artifact.

Of course, this only applies if he is some sort of metal dude.

Now, you might be wondering how you're gonna protect your fortress without a military. Well, the answer is simple.

You train SOME (like, five) military dwarves. I remember that being the maximum before it stops the "cake". Give them maces, and make then charge headlong into the goblins. Don't worry, they'll run away. The goblins that is.

Now, if they run away, how do you get the metal?

Simple!

Observe:

code:

BB    g    D
_   g
_     g

g = goblin
D = dwarven forces
BB = retractable bridge
_ = channel

First you let the goblins in over the bridge, into the channel thing.
Then you retract the bridge, so that the only way to escape is behind the dwarves.
They'll run to your dwarves to be slaughtered without a fight. Trust me.
I've used it many times, and I've never lost a soldier.
The goblins carry a lot of iron stuff, however, so you might get a lot of immigrants next year.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

Found the hidden fun stuff.

Awesome! My weaponsmith just made an artifact adamantine greatsword for my adventurer!  Sweet!  I need to find some way to kill the dude to retreive it but I don't think I'll have much trouble with that! awesome!

P.S. And now the armorer I sent in there is possessed and grabbed some adamantine too!  Awesome! You should do that too puzzle.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

Akroma, Dwarfaholic, Greiger - you're all terrible people for spoiling HIDDEN FUN STUFF.
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

MUST-RESIST-BAD-QUOTE-FROM-HORRIBLE-UNREALISTIC-BORING-GAME-RELATING-TO-THE-TRUTH-OF-THE-POSSESSIONS...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>sorry if I have to spoil the tread for everyone, but the "cake" dwarfaholic is talking about is possesions, as in strange mood possesions

it happens very often that dwarves that work in the glowing pits (mostly hauling I guess) become possessed and create artifacts

the downside is that a possesion mood doesn't create a legendary skill, and if too many dwarves go possessed chances are many will die because you lack the materials/workshops</STRONG>

Awww man... I already knew about the pits and the *bleep*, but I didn't know about this. I've never gotten to the pits myself. I suppose I should have expected spoilers...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

quote:
MUST-RESIST-BAD-QUOTE-FROM-HORRIBLE-UNREALISTIC-BORING-GAME-RELATING-TO-THE-TRUTH-OF-THE-POSSESSIONS...

You mean "The cake is a-"

The flying +Blowgun Dart+ strikes Impending Doom in the neck.
It is pierced!
Impending Doom looks sleepy!
Impending Doom faints.

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

LIE!!!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

So, I dug into the room with the cages, thought I could use the ashes there to fertilize my fields, and a...

FROG DEMON appeared.  A frog demon.      :roll:

Edit:  Huh, another frog demon.

Edit2:  Whoa, they are FAST!

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>So, I dug into the room with the cages, thought I could use the ashes there to fertilize my fields, and a...

FROG DEMON appeared.  A frog demon.        :roll:

Edit:  Huh, another frog demon.

Edit2:  Whoa, they are FAST!

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]</STRONG>

Brace for epic.

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Scorpios ]

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7