Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help solving a mystery  (Read 639 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Help solving a mystery
« on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:23 pm »

I'm currently using updated versions of both the more leather mod (turns skin into a glob, so that creatures have varying amounts of 'skin' per creature, uses those globs to make leather and parchment.  Balances somewhat by taking multiple 'skin' to make one leather, so that it doesn't result in totally ridiculous amounts of leather) and Deeper Dwarven Domestication, which adds leatherwing bats, a domestic animal that can be sheared for skin with which to make leather.

The problem is, the shearable skin isn't viable for leather for some reason?  Butchering a leatherwing bat works fine, but the whole point of the animal is that it can be sheared once a season for a repeatable source of skin.  Anyone have idea why the shearable skin isn't working?  It worked fine for tanning before I added the more leather mod, and it seems to be using the bog standard 'skin' material template, so it should in theory be fine...

EDIT: Secondary, equally weird issue - making skin a glob appears to have made creatures in general much more resilient - attacks glance off skin a lot more commonly now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:08:22 pm by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help solving a mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:56:25 pm »

A few questions, first of all are you playing on the newest version of the game (43.05) with the new armour/property mechanics? The fact it may not actually be skin but instead a glob like substance substitute may have meant that you've turned everyone essentially into rubber due to yield/tear rates (as to how much force has to be exerted before a material breaks), concept may remain much the same outside of that version, all the skin in the world may now have extreme consistency as to unforseen botch job consequences.

Most likely cause is that skin in itself on a corpse is a component for tanning because its a body part

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]
[NAME:tan a hide]
[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]

In the product, if you want to use the reagent's material itself, use NONE instead of a reaction product class (TAN_MAT in this example).

[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT]
[SKILL:TANNER]
[AUTOMATIC]

Changing it to a glob screws up this reaction because globs and 'body components' are completely different, skin is its own body part that can in theory be removed, and from what i can gather, leather bats give off spare body parts from 'shearing', in changing skin to a glob, the values have been moved around and leather bats can no longer function as before.

Though i don't have first hand experience with either mod, they seem to take different approaches, i would recommend ditching your leather mod or finding some way to turn skin into a blob then run a seperate reaction to make so much leather out of the amount generated instead of having it on the base animal.

Alternatively use a butchering method reaction that disembowels a creature entirely (as per first removing the skin with a slicing knife tool, then using a boning knife to get the bones out, then letting the butcher carefully take apart the animal using a carving knife into body parts to be turned into leather piece by piece)