Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ideas for a wear-free stockpile  (Read 2809 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a wear-free stockpile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 07:54:40 am »

It takes a little micro on occassion, but I tend to setup a deactivated dump zone near my "catch all" clothing stockpile with a single tile stockpile beneath it set to also be a refuse pile. Then dump the worn stuff after activating the zone a few times a year, or post-siege if there is a lot of garbage to deal with.

Basically the same as dumping it all into magma, but without the risk of having your legendary clothiers lose it. Not that it's all that easy to make them lose it in the latest versions anyways.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:56 pm »

Or a dorf picking up clothes deciding to shed some old ones...
They drop their old clothes wherever they're standing before they head to the stockpile.

So, there's no way to sort worn clothes out of the new ones for disposal in magma?
There's the painful method from the stocks screen, or the dfhack method with cleanowned x.

Give them cabinets (yes, in their personal rooms, dwarves love to be pampered). Later you can ruthlessly seize their treasured castoff clothing and even force them to haul it to the chasm.
IIRC, it's kind of hard to get rid of once they put it in the cabinets.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:13 am »

Or a dorf picking up clothes deciding to shed some old ones...
They drop their old clothes wherever they're standing before they head to the stockpile.

So, there's no way to sort worn clothes out of the new ones for disposal in magma?
There's the painful method from the stocks screen, or the dfhack method with cleanowned x.

Give them cabinets (yes, in their personal rooms, dwarves love to be pampered). Later you can ruthlessly seize their treasured castoff clothing and even force them to haul it to the chasm.
IIRC, it's kind of hard to get rid of once they put it in the cabinets.
If dorfs stand on the clothes stockpile picking up clothes, they then have a moment to decide what to do, and one such action is to drop some more clothes where they stand.

I've actually found it LESS cumbersome to get rid of junk in cabinets than things strewn all over the floor. DFHack's "cleanowned scattered x" takes both, and if you're down to manual management 't' on a cabinet and dumping each item is less work than 'k', move around, and 'd'ump each item.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »

I'd yet to implement the solution Bumber, jcd et al suggested in this fort (the standard solution). Naturally its not a perfect solution. It would take some time till the unworn clothing pile will only have unworn clothes after implementation  (first reason I wanted a true sort) if clothes only came from clothiers. In will never have all the unworn clothes, because so much of my clothes come from sieges....

I sorta embarked on an pocket world wedged between five dark pits and a necromancer tower, to stave off fun deprivation.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »

If dorfs stand on the clothes stockpile picking up clothes, they then have a moment to decide what to do, and one such action is to drop some more clothes where they stand.
Use a separate stockpile for each type of new clothing. xRobesx that get dropped in the shoe stockpile won't be accepted. You'll also be able to tell what you're running low on.

I've actually found it LESS cumbersome to get rid of junk in cabinets than things strewn all over the floor. DFHack's "cleanowned scattered x" takes both, and if you're down to manual management 't' on a cabinet and dumping each item is less work than 'k', move around, and 'd'ump each item.
But you're giving them extra capacity to store their junk. Once they run out of floor tiles to store things on, they'll just leave their clothing about the fort, where it'll eventually be dragged to the worn stockpile. You can put blank refuse stockpiles in their rooms (but not on furniture) to help the strewn clothing decay (only worth it if you have a bunch of open space in the rooms.)

If you have DFHack, you don't have a problem with sorting worn clothing. If you're playing without, it's easier to dump stuff from the stocks screen than use 't' on 100+ cabinets all over your fort. That is, assuming you can actually dump the owned items. To the best of my knowledge, you can't dump owned clothing, and they'll never lose ownership while in the room/cabinet unless forbidden for about a month (which means extra work and monitoring.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:43:53 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 10:47:52 pm »

Can't you just deconstruct & trade away the cabinets and build new ones every year (or two or more depending on how much cabinets are per dwarf)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:57 am »

Manually dumping dropped clothing works fine for me in that I have no trouble trading the junk away (the bulk of my trade value, in fact). I certainly miss DFHack, though, but that's a price you pay for bleeding edge. It also helps that I'm playing dead civs, and thus have only a few dorfs to manage.

I'd suspect deconstructing the cabinet and trading it away would behave the same way as trading away cages with trolls (minus the bloodshed), i.e. the stuff inside the container is removed before the container is hauled to the trade depot.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 05:03:01 am »

Anything inside the cabinet will be removed when it is deconstructed, ending up on the floor where the cabinet was.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:52 am »

Hm. I suppose if you build them right above/below/next to trade depot, that can still work - go into clothes and have trade menu sort by closest. Damn clunky, though.

(However, my first thought was "get them in one area and bathe in magma yearly - cabinets are cheap")

So I was reading wirejaded

I wonder if dwarves would put their clothing into magma-filled cabinets, thus autoincinerating them?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:52:42 am by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 [2]