Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas for a wear-free stockpile  (Read 2813 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas for a wear-free stockpile
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:27:46 am »

So...
my clothes pile is pretty big, thanks to a heaving clothes industry and a shit tonne of invaders (2 years, constantly). Naturally worn clothes get stuck with the pristine ones, and i trade them out at the caravans. Problem is: that necessitates shifting a tonne of bins every trading session to the Depot.
My idea was to sort the clothes by wear, having one stockpile for pristine and one for worn, drastically reducing the amount of hauling that needs to be done. But in settings there are no options for different amounts of wear. Are there any ideas you guys have for seperating different levels of wear?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a wear-free stockpile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:14 am »

Stockpile 1: All clothes.  Accept from Anywhere.  Max bin.

Stockpile 2: All clothes. Quality selected: superior or better.  Accept from Links Only.  Take from Stockpile 1.  No Bin.

On you trade screen, move only bins.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:24 am »

Separating invaders' clothes from normally-worn clothes.....

First option that springs to mind is to put a cloth stockpile set to take from links only over where invaders die and to give your pristine clothing stockpile/weapon and armor to be melted stockpile.

Not too great option, granted, given this prevents stuff like plant growth and dwarfs will still sometime drop worn clothes into that pile, but it is a start.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:27:39 am »

I don't have any particularly good ideas for separating worn from nonworn clothing, but one thing I've found worthwhile is setting the clothing stockpiles for internal use to only accept those materials my clothing industry produces. For most of my fortresses this is just one type of plant cloth (usually whatever surface cloth is native to my embark) and one type of silk (usually GCS via silk farm). Everything else gets dumped into the "to be sold" stockpile.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:08:06 pm »

Stockpile 1: All clothes.  Accept from Anywhere.  Max bin.

Stockpile 2: All clothes. Quality selected: superior or better.  Accept from Links Only.  Take from Stockpile 1.  No Bin.

On you trade screen, move only bins.

How might this achieve my goal?
Neither core nor total quality is affected by wear, my experiments show. I possess and manufacture clothes of all quality levels, and worn clothes come in with all quality levels. After testing your idea i ended up with two stockpiles of clothing, one of which is all under superior standard, one of which is over superior standard, and about an equal mixture of worn and unworn clothing in both.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

jcd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:26:22 pm »

The solution is to make your clothesmakers workshops to feed directly into a stockpile that will be only accepting from links.
These stockpiles will always have to contain brand new clothes, as anything taken from them can't be returned unless via a link.

Put all the rest in a general clothing stockpile and you are set.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:29:55 pm by jcd »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:29:05 pm »

Stockpiles with bins will steal from stockpiles without.

Don't mess with quality. Use bins for both stockpiles. Trade the bins that end in <#Number> of your "anywhere" stockpile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »

jcd has the right answer for op.  Have the clothing workshop give to clothing stockpile 1.  Have clothing stockpile 1 accept clothes only from links.  Have clothing stockpile 2 accept all clothing from everywhere.

This way, all clothing produced from the workshop will go into clothing stockpile 1, and everything else will go to clothing stockpile 2.  This will guarantee that all clothing in stockpile 1 is unworn.  There might end up being some unworn clothes in stockpile 2, but those would either have come in with invaders or something, or a dwarf would have to remove it from stockpile 1 for some reason. 

its a good enough solution.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:55 pm »

It's the standard solution, but I believe the OP asked the question due finding it insufficient :P

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 01:38:11 pm »

jcd has the right answer for op.  Have the clothing workshop give to clothing stockpile 1.  Have clothing stockpile 1 accept clothes only from links.  Have clothing stockpile 2 accept all clothing from everywhere.

This way, all clothing produced from the workshop will go into clothing stockpile 1, and everything else will go to clothing stockpile 2.  This will guarantee that all clothing in stockpile 1 is unworn.

Not quite; dwarves will drop worn clothing while standing on your "unworn stockpile" and those clothes will assimilate into the stockpile, voiding your guarantee.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:52:22 am »

Not quite; dwarves will drop worn clothing while standing on your "unworn stockpile" and those clothes will assimilate into the stockpile, voiding your guarantee.
It almost never happens. A dwarf hauling new clothes to the stockpile would need to take that moment to decide they need new ones. Less likely the closer the stockpile is to the workshop, and the closer the selected dwarf to the stockpile (i.e., less time spent on the hauling job.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 04:35:59 am »

Or a dorf picking up clothes deciding to shed some old ones...

Regardless, that's probably the best that can be done with the current interface.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 05:13:41 am »

So, there's no way to sort worn clothes out of the new ones for disposal in magma?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 06:32:26 am »

Give them cabinets (yes, in their personal rooms, dwarves love to be pampered). Later you can ruthlessly seize their treasured castoff clothing and even force them to haul it to the chasm.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:46 am »

@Skorpion:
There's no known 100% effective way. The "standard" one discussed above gets you close enough unless you're a perfectionist. Since disposal in magma results in masterworks loss you may not want to get rid of worn clothes that way anyway. I use the garbage truck service (a.k.a. "caravans") to get rid of junk.

As freeze said, cabinets help to remove the unsightly and somewhat display FPS draining clutter of worn clothes in the dorfs' rooms, so they actually serve a purpose beyond their service as room value enhancers. Don't put cabinets in shared (as in non married sharing) rooms, as that leads to infinite failing jobs to stuff things in the cabinet, probably because dorfs can't share.
Pages: [1] 2