Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 16x16 embark  (Read 10804 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
16x16 embark
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:40:48 am »

Has anyone attempted a full embark to see if it was possible yet? Does the game still crash? How slow was it compared to your normal embark?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:18:42 am by SimRobert2001 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: 20x20 embark
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:47:36 am »

It's 16x16, not 20x20, which is probably why the term didn't show up on your searches or skimming through the 43.04 where it was tested, for instance. Short summary: yes it is possible, and starts at 50-15 FPS.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:06 am »

ive tried a 16x16 several times, biggest ive ever gotten was 7x7 but it was nearly unplayable with the lag at the very beginning.
biggest i can do and still have the game playable is 5x5
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:58 am »

ive tried a 16x16 several times, biggest ive ever gotten was 7x7 but it was nearly unplayable with the lag at the very beginning.
Even with the newest version?

Väinämöinen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Has gone without a drink for far, far too long
    • View Profile
Re: 16x16 embark
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:08 pm »

I just did a full history and max sized embark.

While being a x64 process it still uses only a single processor (no multi core support) - so yeah you can play but FPS wont be that great.
Assimilated by the C64 in the 80's. Lost since then.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:02:12 pm »

no this was in 0.40 ish, im playing a 5x5 embark right now and the game stops for a few moments every once in a while and it takes AGES to save and load. the FPS seems fine but i havent breached the caverns and im only on the 2nd year
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:06:41 pm by steel jackal »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 02:53:51 pm »

no this was in 0.40 ish, im playing a 5x5 embark right now and the game stops for a few moments every once in a while and it takes AGES to save and load. the FPS seems fine but i havent breached the caverns and im only on the 2nd year

ah. Cause the problem with .40 is that the 32 bit structure couldn't support a 16x16 without crashing.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 03:10:11 pm »

ah. Cause the problem with .40 is that the 32 bit structure couldn't support a 16x16 without crashing.

huh i guess i should upgrade, im still running 0.43.02
that might make my game not take 2 minutes to save and load
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:12:09 pm by steel jackal »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:05:57 pm »

Someone with more knowledge on the subject can add more to this, but:

The change from 32 bit to 64 bit was less to do with the way that the processor handles the task, but more of how the RAM sees it. The architecture of 64 bit allows for larger strings to be stored when the game is running (from 32 bit strings to 64 bit strings). This means that the game can page more RAM. A 32 bit game can't access more than ~4 gb of RAM before the architecture stops functioning while 64 bit is... well, let us just call it nigh-infinite.

So what does this mean for Dwarf Fortress?

Well, from what I can tell, once the game is RUNNING and everything has loaded, it (for me) runs smoother over the course of a day. I load in and after about 30 minutes of playing, I get a steady  35 FPS with almost no dips or drops. My fortress is on a 5x5 square and I have ~75 dwarves, 10 bards, ~30 animals, and all 3 cavern layers found.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:10:06 pm »

Someone with more knowledge on the subject can add more to this, but:

The change from 32 bit to 64 bit was less to do with the way that the processor handles the task, but more of how the RAM sees it. The architecture of 64 bit allows for larger strings to be stored when the game is running (from 32 bit strings to 64 bit strings). This means that the game can page more RAM. A 32 bit game can't access more than ~4 gb of RAM before the architecture stops functioning while 64 bit is... well, let us just call it nigh-infinite.

So what does this mean for Dwarf Fortress?

Well, from what I can tell, once the game is RUNNING and everything has loaded, it (for me) runs smoother over the course of a day. I load in and after about 30 minutes of playing, I get a steady  35 FPS with almost no dips or drops. My fortress is on a 5x5 square and I have ~75 dwarves, 10 bards, ~30 animals, and all 3 cavern layers found.

you pretty much covered it, theres a youtuber called scott manly that talked about kerbal space program going from 32 bit to 64 bit and he said pretty much everything you did but in a more long-winded way.
although i thought it was 2GB, my comp only has 4 gb of ram so if 32 bit already had 4gb of ram i shouldent notice such a significant diffrence

but yeah i just got 64 bit set up a few mins ago and the game runs SOOO much more smoothly <3
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:33:55 pm by steel jackal »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:57:48 pm »

It's 2GB in Windows because it artificially imposes a 2GB limit in 32 bit for some reason.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:25:36 pm »

It's 2GB in Windows because it artificially imposes a 2GB limit in 32 bit for some reason.
"In non-PAE modes of x86 processors, the RAM is always limited to 3.76GB" from wikipedia, but you can find more at Microsoft. The math of a 64 bit is silly, at best. The reason for the self-imposed 32 bit RAM ceiling is because a 32 bit operating system could ONLY have 4 gigabytes of RAM total (before PAE). Your operating system needs some of that to run, and some of it is cushion space to open and run other processes in the background. Multi-threading offers an interesting work around as it allows your PC to run all of it's OTHER processes on other threads while DF can hop between a few with little bother. On a 64 bit install of Windows, you can put up to 128 gigabytes (I think that is the motherboard physical LIMIT right now, short of server hardware), and the OS can use all of it.

As a side note: if you want to get the most out of your DF and multi-thread machine, open task manager, go to processes, right click on DF and set it's priority to HIGH, and then set the AFFINITY to a couple cores and viola. The game will now use specific cores and it will run its process regardless of background programs.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Väinämöinen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Has gone without a drink for far, far too long
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 07:32:04 am »

You can rise the amount of memory available by flagging LAA on the x86 process. But x64 and related code is more efficient and recent.
Assimilated by the C64 in the 80's. Lost since then.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 12:03:22 pm »

16x16 is 256 48x48s.
Thats just a bit over a half million tiles alone.

Sefinitely going to want to use burrows, dont want to have everyone trying to run all the way across the map.

But i cant wait. Ima give it 1 more bugfix before giving the 16x16 a try. One can only hope 16gb or ram will be enough.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 03:48:49 pm »

16x16 is 256 48x48s.
Thats just a bit over a half million tiles alone.

That's... far more tiles than I had thought.  You know Flarechannel?  That masterwork of a fort used a quarter million blocks.  It would take twice that number just to floor the surface of a 16x16.

But i cant wait. Ima give it 1 more bugfix before giving the 16x16 a try. One can only hope 16gb or ram will be enough.
I managed to get a 14x14' working' (you can embark but unpausing crashes) using a Large-Address-Aware modded 40.24 Dwarf Fortress.  Took about 3.8 gig.  I can't imagine a 16x16 taking more than 8.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5