Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Whence from here?

I'm not in a hurry; we're bound to find a sucker replacement eventually.
- 1 (20%)
Onward, even if we have a shambling zombie nation!
- 0 (0%)
Let it end, oh please let it end!
- 4 (80%)
You say you need a sucker replacement? Well, I AM that sucker replacement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 22: Even Worstester Things: called due to Foul weather  (Read 25696 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had any player v player fights yet? I assume the spawns are decent at expanding

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK, "Bay12 chivalry" is in full effect, so no wars yet. We're not even to turn 10, though.

I agree FS are good at expanding. Probably too good. I may have to tweak things so it's harder to recruit endless streams of ogreish brutes.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK, "Bay12 chivalry" is in full effect, so no wars yet. We're not even to turn 10, though.
It just strikes me as 'good sense' - unless you're playing a 1v1, where you can make a quick dash for the enemy's capital in the hopes of cutting off his production and gold, you're going to be actively leaving indie provinces unconquered around you - provinces which will almost certainly be snatched up by your neighbors.

Even if you manage to successfully fight your way to the enemy capital... now what? Your army is stuck sieging - and is going to be for a long, long time. Meanwhile, now you look like a good target for your neighbors that have been growing ever more prosperous from indie provinces that should have been yours (and almost certainly have been taking far less troop losses then you have waging your early war.)

In the end, all you end up with is causing both you and the guy you attacked early to lose.

As long as there are (easy) indies to take out, it's in everyone's best interests to fight them before engaging another player... Or, at least, that's how I see it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:48:53 am by AlStar »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't disagree. My phrasing was more than a little driven by commentary/arguments elsewhere about how "real" competitive" metagames work... which always seem to have a barely-concealed disgust for diplomacy and an unstated assumption that proper wars are tidy little 1v1 affairs.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

So Bay12 Chivalry involves politely ignoring each other's lands in the early game and giant world wars in the late game? Sounds about right to me. From what I've seen online, the metagame tends to involve more 'Kekeke' and early aggression than here. It varies from place to place and person to person, of course. But I've seen it stated a couple times that if you need to conduct diplomacy to survive then you're weak and need to rethink your build/strategy. Maybe not in those exact words of course, but the intent was there.

EDIT: It's not a proper Bay12 game unless someone is on the receiving end of a threeway. And winning.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:16:22 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who is late?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who is late?
Assuming that the list on Llama is in the same order as the player list (which I think - but am not certain is true), USEC_OFFICER is the one still outstanding.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Yeah. I, uh, kinda lost track of time. It's all good though. I've sorted out this turn and the next.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found Dominions MP (here) to play like a nice round of magic EDH - you murder each other over slight offences, but also try really hard not to make everyone rally against you.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh, I just noticed that one of my flying troops (and only the one) can only move 2 provinces. I didn't even know that was a thing - I just thought that anything that can fly automatically moved 3 (or, in the case of angelic units, 4 or 5) provinces a turn.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a few in vanilla. MA/LA Caelum have a few heavily armored troops with only 2 map move for example.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

So Bay12 Chivalry involves politely ignoring each other's lands in the early game and giant world wars in the late game? Sounds about right to me. From what I've seen online, the metagame tends to involve more 'Kekeke' and early aggression than here. It varies from place to place and person to person, of course. But I've seen it stated a couple times that if you need to conduct diplomacy to survive then you're weak and need to rethink your build/strategy. Maybe not in those exact words of course, but the intent was there.

EDIT: It's not a proper Bay12 game unless someone is on the receiving end of a threeway. And winning.
Personally I think most of my problem being successful in MP games is that I follow the chivalry to the extreme. First game I was in I could have crushed the whole northern half of the world if I hadn't limited myself (I thought it was literally forbidden to fight in early game at this point mind) because of the ridonkeylous sacreds I had.
Instead, I waited for the little dudes next to me to get enslave mind and wreck my shit.

So yeah, forgive me if I go into games in the future with a more aggressive mindset.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, nothing quite like the 'joy' of recruiting a bunch of 30g/10r cavalry and ending up with the majority share of them being:
Hoof (Dmg:13), Tiny Tentacle (Dmg:1)
and Hoof (Dmg:13), Tentacle (Dmg:6)

Instead of:
Hoof (Dmg:13), Life Drain (Dmg:10 (magic));
Hoof (Dmg:13), Light Lance (Dmg:16);
Hoof (Dmg:13), Touch of Leprosy (Dmg:10 (magic)), flight;
Bite (Dmg:18), Barbed Tail (Dmg:13 (para poison)), Axe (Dmg: 18), flight;
or Hoof (Dmg:15), Venomous Fangs (Dmg:13 (para poison)), Light Lance (Dmg:18), flight.

#FoulSpawnProblems

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I swear, hoburgs fight better than those FS ogres of mine.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I must say Karlito, that Drakon of yours is quite the beast (figuratively and literally) - especially with body ethereal/temper flesh buffing him up. He's good fun to watch (when he's busy killing other peoples troops, mind.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14